Welcome to Gaia! ::

Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Flynn MacCumhaill

Apparently not, going by this thread. ;p

Seriously, though, if early childhood implantation is going to be the only way for them to get that choice, I'm for it... but it shouldn't be treated as a "cure", as aside from anything in certain contexts (sports, swimming, etc) the external hardware has to be removed for safety. During that time -- and not to mention if it somehow gets lost or broken! -- they kinda do still need to be able to communicate. CI + sign language seems like a no-brainer as the "best" approach in most cases...
Back in September when I went to see a doctor about CI, they said that the machine inside the head right by skull is not able to remove due that they used superglue to its skull so you will have the machine under your skin for rest of life. But the outside thing that attaches to under skin can be taken off just like switchs. But not the under skin that can be removed.

The internal hardware can be upgraded, so it must be possible for it to be removed, but I think that it would considered unnecessary, and unnecessarily dangerous to take the actual implant out if you just want to stop using it. And, honestly.... I don't see the problem with walking around with a well-anchored small metal spike inside one's skull. Neither you nor anyone else is aware of it being there.

Well, you can upgrade a computer without getting a new one, right? Stands to reason that you can upgrade it without removing it or getting a new one.

What about the risks that the surgery poses to the baby?
I have two little cousins who are deaf and they had the cochlear implant when they were around 5yrs and it's not weird for me when I hear them talk, I forget I even know someone deaf until I really think about it.

I also took an ASL class and the teacher was deaf without any implants so that was really cool getting to really talk with a deaf person and hearing things from their point of view.
PwinsezProanamia
Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Flynn MacCumhaill

Apparently not, going by this thread. ;p

Seriously, though, if early childhood implantation is going to be the only way for them to get that choice, I'm for it... but it shouldn't be treated as a "cure", as aside from anything in certain contexts (sports, swimming, etc) the external hardware has to be removed for safety. During that time -- and not to mention if it somehow gets lost or broken! -- they kinda do still need to be able to communicate. CI + sign language seems like a no-brainer as the "best" approach in most cases...
Back in September when I went to see a doctor about CI, they said that the machine inside the head right by skull is not able to remove due that they used superglue to its skull so you will have the machine under your skin for rest of life. But the outside thing that attaches to under skin can be taken off just like switchs. But not the under skin that can be removed.

The internal hardware can be upgraded, so it must be possible for it to be removed, but I think that it would considered unnecessary, and unnecessarily dangerous to take the actual implant out if you just want to stop using it. And, honestly.... I don't see the problem with walking around with a well-anchored small metal spike inside one's skull. Neither you nor anyone else is aware of it being there.

Well, you can upgrade a computer without getting a new one, right? Stands to reason that you can upgrade it without removing it or getting a new one.

What about the risks that the surgery poses to the baby?

From my understanding, a better analogy would be upgrading your video card. The actual internal hardware can be removed and replaced with a newer version. It can also be removed for medical reasons (I checked about that after I posted my previous post. Removal of the internal hardware apparently can loss of any residual unaided hearing, however.)

And the risk to the child is part of what decides their eligibility. I don't actually know how great the risks are -- I only know a bit about the device itself from colleagues -- but the surgery has become so routine that I would assume that in ideal patients they would be minimal.

Sexy Turtle

Okay everybody, the topic about CI is removed. That was not what I wanted the thread to
be based on CI.

Fashionable Vampire

6,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
My thoughts? Deaf people can be nice, or complete assholes, or anything in between. They are humans just like us, only they communicate differently. I have always wondered though, When a person thinks, they hear themselves speak words. If someone has never heard spoken word before, do they 'think' in sign language? It has always blown my mind.

Sexy Turtle

Sephina
My thoughts? Deaf people can be nice, or complete assholes, or anything in between. They are humans just like us, only they communicate differently. I have always wondered though, When a person thinks, they hear themselves speak words. If someone has never heard spoken word before, do they 'think' in sign language? It has always blown my mind.
When I think, I see Sign Language and Letters and Images of those items. I have been wondering what you have been "Seeing" your thinking with sounds.
Black Lust Perfume
Sephina
When I think, I see Sign Language and Letters and Images of those items. I have been wondering what you have been "Seeing" your thinking with sounds.

Imagine the smell of vanilla. It probably conjures some images, but you also perceive the smell in your imagination, yes? It's the same general effect. You hear the sound of the word, and also see images associated with it, and possibly even the word spelled out.

Sexy Turtle

Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Sephina

Imagine the smell of vanilla. It probably conjures some images, but you also perceive the smell in your imagination, yes? It's the same general effect. You hear the sound of the word, and also see images associated with it, and possibly even the word spelled out.
I can image vanilla. But I still dont understand how you think exactly. Since you have been growing up hearing sounds and I have never once.
Black Lust Perfume
Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Sephina

I can image vanilla. But I still dont understand how you think exactly. Since you have been growing up hearing sounds and I have never once.

Yeah, hence my choosing a sense I was pretty sure you had full functionality in. ;p I can't imagine thinking in sign... Do you see yourself/someone actually standing there signing, or is it more abstract?

I wonder if it's different for someone who lost their hearing later in life -- when I lip-read, I actually hear a voice appropriate to the person's appearance as if they were speaking clearly -- often with an accent and all, if their accent's strong enough to show in their lips. I've tested the effect by watching the TV on mute (newsreaders are really easy to lip read) and the effect persists. I wonder if someone who grew up able to hear finds the same thing, or if they quickly transition to your way of perceiving speech?

Hey, did you know that your brain has almost certainly taken over the part that is dedicated to hearing in most people, and instead uses it for extra visual processing power? Isn't that awesome? XD In blind people, the opposite happens; the visual processing section gets used to process sound and touch more effectively.

Fashionable Vampire

6,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Black Lust Perfume
Sephina
XD It's kinda neat to hear that a deaf person thinks the same thing as me but in reverse. razz as for me I don't really see anything, I hear myself talk in my head. wow, explaining that almost makes me sound a little crazy. XD
I took up sign language at my old school then moved and my new one didn't offer the course.
It was quite intresting, although i'd hate to be dead, just because of the fact i couldnt listen to music or hear anythingg.
Like is beautiful i'd feel like i was missing out on it if i couldn't hear.

Sexy Turtle

Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Sephina

Yeah, hence my choosing a sense I was pretty sure you had full functionality in. ;p I can't imagine thinking in sign... Do you see yourself/someone actually standing there signing, or is it more abstract?

I wonder if it's different for someone who lost their hearing later in life -- when I lip-read, I actually hear a voice appropriate to the person's appearance as if they were speaking clearly -- often with an accent and all, if their accent's strong enough to show in their lips. I've tested the effect by watching the TV on mute (newsreaders are really easy to lip read) and the effect persists. I wonder if someone who grew up able to hear finds the same thing, or if they quickly transition to your way of perceiving speech?

Hey, did you know that your brain has almost certainly taken over the part that is dedicated to hearing in most people, and instead uses it for extra visual processing power? Isn't that awesome? XD In blind people, the opposite happens; the visual processing section gets used to process sound and touch more effectively.
I dont SEE a person signing, I just see the hands itself.

Sexy Turtle

Attica Statev2
I took up sign language at my old school then moved and my new one didn't offer the course.
It was quite intresting, although i'd hate to be dead, just because of the fact i couldnt listen to music or hear anythingg.
Dead? Wow thats way off the topic lol
Black Lust Perfume
Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Flynn MacCumhaill
Black Lust Perfume
Sephina

I dont SEE a person signing, I just see the hands itself.

Like, from your perspective, as if it was your own hands?

(If I'm getting annoyingly prying, tell me to stop. ;p )
Black Lust Perfume
Attica Statev2
Dead? Wow thats way off the topic lol

Lol typo...
deaf*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out