Welcome to Gaia! ::

TheValenDreth
How the ******** can you have an opinion about deaf people? Or deafness? That's like asking for my thoughts about tetraeders. Tetraeders are tetraeders and deaf people are deaf. You can't have your opinion about someone based on one, single ability or disability they have. This topic just seems like a virtual masturbation, made so the OP can tell everyone how much of an awesome deaf person she is. Shoop da woop.

Thank you for your oh-so-productive comment!

She was merely asking people what their opinion is. Most people aren't as worldly or enlightened as you to take people at face value. Most people DO form opinions, so yes, it IS possible.

The whole point of this topic is to ask people what their perception of deaf people are. If they have a misconception, question, or comment, we discuss it here. It's not to say 'HEY I'M DEAF AND I'M AWESOME.' The OP just happens to be deaf and proud of it. That's not wrong of her.

If you knew anything about the Deaf Culture, you'd know that most of the time they are met with bias and judgemental people who treat them badly. She merely asked a question and you don't need to respond with vulgarity.
GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix
one time: i was at an assembly at my school in the gymnasium and this deaf kid was stealing stuff out of peoples' coat pockets. so i kicked his back off the bleachers and then i got yelled at. i was stopping a thief. im a hero dammit.

I hope that doesn't affect your perception of deaf people.

As I've seen hearing people do it, too. =] lol

well, deafies always things for granted -_-

I'm sorry, but what?

7,650 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix
one time: i was at an assembly at my school in the gymnasium and this deaf kid was stealing stuff out of peoples' coat pockets. so i kicked his back off the bleachers and then i got yelled at. i was stopping a thief. im a hero dammit.

I'm sorry, but what?

just sayin'
GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix

I'm sorry, but what?

just sayin'

No, I mean I didn't understand you.

Did you mean that deafies always take things for granted?

How so?

Sexy Turtle

Flynn MacCumhaill

Apparently not, going by this thread. ;p

Seriously, though, if early childhood implantation is going to be the only way for them to get that choice, I'm for it... but it shouldn't be treated as a "cure", as aside from anything in certain contexts (sports, swimming, etc) the external hardware has to be removed for safety. During that time -- and not to mention if it somehow gets lost or broken! -- they kinda do still need to be able to communicate. CI + sign language seems like a no-brainer as the "best" approach in most cases...
Back in September when I went to see a doctor about CI, they said that the machine inside the head right by skull is not able to remove due that they used superglue to its skull so you will have the machine under your skin for rest of life. But the outside thing that attaches to under skin can be taken off just like switchs. But not the under skin that can be removed.

7,650 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix

I'm sorry, but what?

just sayin'

How so?

they think they dont have to take s**t from anybody. which is wrong btw

Sexy Turtle

GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix

I'm sorry, but what?

just sayin'

How so?

Some are like that, some dont. Deaf people have their own thoughts and feelings just like "normal" people like you people. I dont hang out with bad attitude who take things for granted.
Black Lust Perfume
Flynn MacCumhaill

Seriously, though, if early childhood implantation is going to be the only way for them to get that choice, I'm for it... but it shouldn't be treated as a "cure", as aside from anything in certain contexts (sports, swimming, etc) the external hardware has to be removed for safety. During that time -- and not to mention if it somehow gets lost or broken! -- they kinda do still need to be able to communicate. CI + sign language seems like a no-brainer as the "best" approach in most cases...
Back in September when I went to see a doctor about CI, they said that the machine inside the head right by skull is not able to remove due that they used superglue to its skull so you will have the machine under your skin for rest of life. But the outside thing that attaches to under skin can be taken off just like switchs. But not the under skin that can be removed.

The internal hardware can be upgraded, so it must be possible for it to be removed, but I think that it would considered unnecessary, and unnecessarily dangerous to take the actual implant out if you just want to stop using it. And, honestly.... I don't see the problem with walking around with a well-anchored small metal spike inside one's skull. Neither you nor anyone else is aware of it being there.
Beautiful Blue Bomber
Flynn MacCumhaill
Beautiful Blue Bomber
Flynn MacCumhaill
Beautiful Blue Bomber
And it's not really like it's a 'choice' for them to make. Almost everyone would like to have at least the option to be able to hear.

Yeah, I'm not saying that it should be used as a substitute, but it should still be used.
I'm guessing they're super expensive?

My understanding is to pay for a unit in full is something like fifty grand, but that here at least that's pretty much completely subsidised for "appropriate" cases. If your kid's eligible to get the implant, and you want them to have it, they can have it, basically. As far as I am aware at least. I work with Cochlear people, not for them, after all. ;p
Oh, but if you break it, you have to pay for the whole thing?
Cause that's like, a house. My child's hearing isn't worth THAT much lol

I don't know if you have to pay for replacements in case of accidents, (and I think it'd be kind of ridiculous if you did... it's being given to a child after all...) but the only part that can break in cases other than, say, a serious car accident or defective part is the external harware, not the implant itself, which would be considerably less than that.
Black Lust Perfume
Lady Leopardess
Black Lust Perfume
Lady Leopardess
Black Lust Perfume
x_Diamond_Kisses_x
I feel bad for them and it makes me sad. But it makes me happy to see them smile, they deserve happiness.
it is actually VERY annoying when someone feel "Sorry" for us and we dont need anyone feel bad, we are happy in different ways.

There's not too many disablied gaians I don't think at least. As a legally blind person I've gotten that too of people feeling "sorry" . Sometimes I think it's because they are not sure what else to say . It was usualful for some of reccomendations though because they'd saw how "inspirational " I was and such. lol
For some reason people seem to sometimes think that if you're blind then you're hearing impaired/deaf too. o_o;

Anyway I used to go to a camp for deaf and/or blind kids . I tried to pick up ASL, but didn't really get to. Although I know a couple words. I haven't gotten to chat with any of my hearing impaired friends in awhile. :/ (twas a long time ago)
Ahh interesting, but please dont label us Hearing Impaired, that is somehow insults us deaf community.

If you dont pick it up enough, maybe you wasnt even interested enough to learn their language to help them better.
No I said hearing impaired because each of them to an extent could hear, they weren't completely deaf. I was under the impression that it was the same as Visually Impaired to Blind.

No it wasn't that. I tried having one of the girls teach me but she wasn't sure how to go about it. I also tried to pick it up when they spoke in ASL to the kids ,, but ya gotta remember I can only see so much ,especially with how fast signing goes.

Still, very insulted to Deaf AND Blind if you use "Impaired" We would rather be called "Deaf" or "Hard of Hearing" or "Blind" or "DeafBlind" Those is much more accepted than just insults.

I was born legally blind and deaf (I've got a cochlear implant and have had corrective eye surgery so can now see with the aid of glasses) and I've never heard of anyone in the community, except you, be offended by the word 'impaired'. neutral
Beautiful Blue Bomber
Flynn MacCumhaill
Beautiful Blue Bomber
Flynn MacCumhaill
Beautiful Blue Bomber
Yeah, I'm not saying that it should be used as a substitute, but it should still be used.

My understanding is to pay for a unit in full is something like fifty grand, but that here at least that's pretty much completely subsidised for "appropriate" cases. If your kid's eligible to get the implant, and you want them to have it, they can have it, basically. As far as I am aware at least. I work with Cochlear people, not for them, after all. ;p

I don't know if you have to pay for replacements in case of accidents, (and I think it'd be kind of ridiculous if you did... it's being given to a child after all...) but the only part that can break in cases other than, say, a serious car accident or defective part is the external harware, not the implant itself, which would be considerably less than that.
Oh, does the implant actually go inside your ear or something?
I just thought it was a detachable thing.

There's both an internal and an external element. The external element is removable. The internal one IS removable, but it's difficult and you need an operation and they would only do so for medical reasons.
Beautiful Blue Bomber
Flynn MacCumhaill
Beautiful Blue Bomber
Flynn MacCumhaill
Beautiful Blue Bomber

Oh, does the implant actually go inside your ear or something?
I just thought it was a detachable thing.

Yeah, there are two parts: one implanted inside your skull, which stimulates the nerves inside your ear, and then the external part that captures, encodes and transmits the signal.

Demonic Lunatic

My opinion of deaf people is that, from what I understand, they have trouble hearing or are completely unable to hear at all. I have deaf friends, they're cool, and I know some phrases in sign.
GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix
PwinsezProanamia
GreekPheonix

I'm sorry, but what?

just sayin'

How so?

That's not a trait inherent to deaf people. Some deaf people don't take s**t from others, and some hearing people don't take s**t from others.

Is it really wrong not to let people give you s**t or walk all over you?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff