Welcome to Gaia! ::

Less Than Beth
GentleHerbivore
I wonder why I never noticed this thread before. It's awesome. I was diagnosed with PTSD last year, from traumatic events growing up. I have nightmares, daily panic attacks and a great fear of loss of control that affects almost all of my interaction with others.

Welcome to the thread.
I too feel the need to be in control. I was wondering how it affects your interaction with others? Daily panic attacks sounds aweful, how do you manage?

Thanks. whee
I have trouble talking to people because I always think they want to control me. My boyfriend can't really even make the smallest suggestion to me because I automatically think it's an attempt to control me. The same goes with my parents. When I'm in public, I'm super wary of anyone to make an attempt to control or manipulate me, and it's a huge block when I try to be social. I don't trust anyone. I'm getting better at learning to trust people, but it can be hard sometimes.
For my panic attacks, if I have them at home, I send myself to bed and try to control my breathing. If I have them in public, I find a restroom or I just sit down. It used to be hard to even realize what was going on and that I was even having a panic attack, but I've gotten much better at recognizing and getting through them.
grinningjester
GentleHerbivore
I wonder why I never noticed this thread before. It's awesome. I was diagnosed with PTSD last year, from traumatic events growing up. I have nightmares, daily panic attacks and a great fear of loss of control that affects almost all of my interaction with others.

Welcome to the thread and I'm glad you found us. Most of the regulars have many of the same symptoms so you are in good company. I hate panic attacks and have them fairly frequently. What kind of things do you do to keep yourself in control? Further down in the thread you mention you can't watch horror movies anymore though you loved them. I have the same issue with police television shows, like CSI and Hawaii 5-0. I understand how that feels.

Thank you. smile
When I have a panic attack, I find a place to go where I have a bit of privacy, or make myself sit down and focus on my breathing.
It's terrible to not be able to enjoy shows and movies you once did. A lot of crime shows are very uncomfortable for me to watch. I'm sorry that anyone else would have to feel that way as well.
well we're planing a trip to nemo for this weekend, its a river where i grew up the only thing is its also the area where my lil brother is berried and it has me tore up thinking about going there. cause its reminded me that he won't be here to see mason when he's born just like he wasn't here for my two older kids. i've been crying all day thinking about him and how i wish he could be here. i'll be going to his grave while i'm there and telling him all about mason and daddy. but it has me really tore up thinking about all he's missed and is going to miss and how mason is going to be missing out on getting to meet his uncle. days like this are really rough but i know they'll come and go all the time i just hate em crying
I was told i have ptsd symptom ever since i return from deployment. I dont feel like i belong anywhere else and i also work up sweating midnight and have nightmare about iraq, god damn I was under fire more than i can count

Friendly Guildsman

ImNotReallySmiling
I was told i have ptsd symptom ever since i return from deployment. I dont feel like i belong anywhere else and i also work up sweating midnight and have nightmare about iraq, god damn I was under fire more than i can count

I understand. I have combat PTSD too. Have you sought treatment? I'm sorry you're having nightmares. Do you have anything that helps your nightmares? Before I sought treatment I tried to use alcohol to sleep better. I don't recommend it.

I had a lot of nightmares where I would be pulling the trigger and nothing would happen, or I would get shot, or my partners would get shot. I did a lot of rehearsing while I was awake to help those nightmares. Like, when your gun malfunctions in a dream, what will you do? Clear the jam. Okay. If that doesn't work, pull your back up weapon. If that doesn't work, produce a bazooka. Rehearsing what you would do in a nightmare often made my nightmares go better. I fail at lucid dreaming, though training yourself to do that has helped lots of people.
ImNotReallySmiling
hi there and thank you for your service.
grinningjester
ImNotReallySmiling

I have nightmare more about i got shot in the head and neck when i was riding shotgun and that killing spirit just awaken it like i turn into a monster
Lil Enslaved Kitten
ImNotReallySmiling

Just doing my job it wasnt necessary but it was sure nice to hear it. Thanks you
ImNotReallySmiling
Lil Enslaved Kitten
ImNotReallySmiling

Just doing my job it wasnt necessary but it was sure nice to hear it. Thanks you
i think people should say it more often but that's just me. i hope that you are finding ways to help with your nightmares.
i've never been in a combat situation but i know how rough nightmares can be. mine still come back from time to time.

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
ImNotReallySmiling
Welcome! My trauma was the result of a near-death experience at work. No physical damage, just psychological.

I used to wake up sweating too, it's subsided and doesn't happen anymore now. Which is good.

That sounds like it could be PTSD, but I recommend you get it diagnosed by a professional to be safe. Sorry to hear you're feeling so bad at this point, good luck recovering.

Friendly Guildsman

ImNotReallySmiling

I have nightmare more about i got shot in the head and neck when i was riding shotgun and that killing spirit just awaken it like i turn into a monster

Are you getting help? Are you in the US? If so, the VA offers a lot of services. If not, does your government offer assistance to service men and women?
grinningjester
ImNotReallySmiling

Are you getting help? Are you in the US? If so, the VA offers a lot of services. If not, does your government offer assistance to service men and women?

yes Im with the 1st Cavalry and VA? what is that

Friendly Guildsman

ImNotReallySmiling
grinningjester
ImNotReallySmiling

yes Im with the 1st Cavalry and VA? what is that

It's the United States Department of Veteran Affairs. Since you are a veteran, you can take advantage of the services they offer. Here is a link to the VA's PTSD services. Scroll down a bit to find the section for veterans. The VA Medical Centers all provide help for PTSD.

I've found some of the best help comes from other people with PTSD. The VA has the Veteran Combat Call Center where you can talk to other veterans about it. But we're here too. Are there other symptoms you're experiencing?
Daddy's girl

i've got to talk to so many vets that the VA support groups have really helped. makes me kinda wish they had something like that for around here for non vets with PTSD but hey i have y'all and my other supporters on fet and it really helps heart
lil kitty

Friendly Guildsman

Reviving this thread. Hope everyone is doing well with their PTSD. Anyone out there experiencing symptoms?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff