Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Codger

holy s**t. don't take this the wrong way, but i am absolutely in love with ptsd. or wait...that came out wrong. i'm really into mental issues and stuff, but ptsd is by far one of the most interesting i've heard of along with amnesia. memory is quite honestly the most amazing thing in the world.

purple_FILLLTH's Pardner

Greedy Fatcat

dark lord stormaggedon
holy s**t. don't take this the wrong way, but i am absolutely in love with ptsd. or wait...that came out wrong. i'm really into mental issues and stuff, but ptsd is by far one of the most interesting i've heard of along with amnesia. memory is quite honestly the most amazing thing in the world.

So mental disorders interest you?

Friendly Guildsman

The Spiciest McHaggis

Most people don't know that PTSD can count as a disability and therefore you can have a service dog for it. And since I look healthy and not blind, I get a lot of people questioning it, which is annoying. But I have papers for him and everything.

I think that recognizing the PTSD-type thoughts and contradicting them was the hardest part of therapy for me. Going, that noise is not gunfire, it's someone closing the trash can outside. Hearing sirens and saying to myself, I am not back there, I am in my house. I don't know if I'll ever be able to hear and see things the way normal people do but maybe there's someone on here who's further along in their PTSD than me and say yes it goes away. All I can say is that I'm much better.

What part of telling your story to your therapist scares you?

Aged Codger

The Spiciest McHaggis
dark lord stormaggedon

So mental disorders interest you?

yep.

Friendly Guildsman

dark lord stormaggedon

Why do you find it interesting?

Kawaii Sentai

User ImageUser Image
All the world needs is me. I've got my values...so you can keep yours, alright?

User ImageUser Image

I used to have those symptoms with anyone wearing a ring with a gem in it. My adoptive mom used to backhand me with em.

PhilthyGlitz's Waifu

Dapper Wife

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Signature Look 250
I have been diagnosed with PTSD, its pretty hard. Most of it is because of my brother and father. My brother is autistic and back when he was younger, every morning at 3am he would be up screaming. My memory has blocked a lot of those nights, but because of it I can't sleep without medication.

purple_FILLLTH's Pardner

Greedy Fatcat

grinningjester
The Spiciest McHaggis

Most people don't know that PTSD can count as a disability and therefore you can have a service dog for it. And since I look healthy and not blind, I get a lot of people questioning it, which is annoying. But I have papers for him and everything.

I think that recognizing the PTSD-type thoughts and contradicting them was the hardest part of therapy for me. Going, that noise is not gunfire, it's someone closing the trash can outside. Hearing sirens and saying to myself, I am not back there, I am in my house. I don't know if I'll ever be able to hear and see things the way normal people do but maybe there's someone on here who's further along in their PTSD than me and say yes it goes away. All I can say is that I'm much better.

What part of telling your story to your therapist scares you?

I've never been the type of person to open up to other people.
That also goes with saying that I have tried a couple of times, and I regret it.
I guess what scares me the most about sharing with my therapist is not getting any relief from it and slipping back the way I used to be.

Friendly Guildsman

The Forbidden Soul
I used to have those symptoms with anyone wearing a ring with a gem in it. My adoptive mom used to backhand me with em.

I'm sorry that happened to you. You don't have those feelings anymore? What changed?

Aged Codger

grinningjester
dark lord stormaggedon

Why do you find it interesting?

i'm not really sure. mental problems have interested me since i was a little kid but it's just something about ptsd and the like that i think is amazing. i think it's mostly the memory part that gets me going. the idea that an experience could affect the brain so much astounds me. the way the mind can tie so much emotion to one single happening...i just love it. emotion_kirakira

the mind is a wonderful thing.

purple_FILLLTH's Pardner

Greedy Fatcat

Miss Alchiap
I have been diagnosed with PTSD, its pretty hard. Most of it is because of my brother and father. My brother is autistic and back when he was younger, every morning at 3am he would be up screaming. My memory has blocked a lot of those nights, but because of it I can't sleep without medication.

That's aweful. How are doing now?
I like your signature btw. It's cute.

PhilthyGlitz's Waifu

Dapper Wife

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Signature Look 250
The Spiciest McHaggis
Miss Alchiap

That's aweful. How are doing now?
I like your signature btw. It's cute.

I still can't sleep but the bright side now he only wakes up every once in awhile. We found out his screaming was seizures so now he is on the right medication.

And thankies

=D

purple_FILLLTH's Pardner

Greedy Fatcat

Miss Alchiap
The Spiciest McHaggis
Miss Alchiap

Youre welcome :]
So your sleep meds haven't been helping lately?

Friendly Guildsman

Miss Alchiap

Seems like your brother had a large affect on your PTSD, but what about your father, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have trouble hearing people screaming?

The Spiciest McHaggis

I've never been the type of person to open up to other people. That also goes with saying that I have tried a couple of times, and I regret it. I guess what scares me the most about sharing with my therapist is not getting any relief from it and slipping back the way I used to be.

I understand. Therapy may not get you relief, it's true. But I imagine it will. Therapy can teach you how to manage your symptoms. Therapy was the best thing I ever did. That and medication. I literally can't sleep without it and my anxiety and paranoia would be ridiculous otherwise. Therapy is so hard though. I think you can also get help by talking to other people in the same situation.

dark lord stormaggedon

i'm not really sure. mental problems have interested me since i was a little kid but it's just something about ptsd and the like that i think is amazing. i think it's mostly the memory part that gets me going. the idea that an experience could affect the brain so much astounds me. the way the mind can tie so much emotion to one single happening...i just love it. emotion_kirakira
the mind is a wonderful thing.

I think that PTSD and they way trauma affects the brain is interesting and astounding but I wouldn't call it amazing. It is devastating and difficult and downright horrible for the sufferers. The affect of trauma on memory is very interesting in particular, I agree. For example, I have holes in my memory of the trauma and no matter how much I try to remember those missing pieces, I just can't.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff