Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Guildsman

hatersmakemefamousss
grinningjester
hatersmakemefamousss
You can get a service dog for PTSD? o.O (Sorry for butting in.)

Absolutely. You can get a service dog for any disability. The only requirement is that the animal must be able to perform tasks specific to your disability. Just being an emotional support is not enough. Emotional support dogs are therapy animals and not protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act. You can read more here.

Interesting....
I may look into that.

It's been a life saver for me. I don't know how I would function without my dog. If you want more information about service dogs for PTSD feel free to ask me.
grinningjester
hatersmakemefamousss
grinningjester
hatersmakemefamousss
You can get a service dog for PTSD? o.O (Sorry for butting in.)

Absolutely. You can get a service dog for any disability. The only requirement is that the animal must be able to perform tasks specific to your disability. Just being an emotional support is not enough. Emotional support dogs are therapy animals and not protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act. You can read more here.

Interesting....
I may look into that.

It's been a life saver for me. I don't know how I would function without my dog. If you want more information about service dogs for PTSD feel free to ask me.

Thanks! Yeah, I get some really bad flashbacks at times, and I can see how that would be incredibly helpful..

Friendly Guildsman

hatersmakemefamousss

I HATE flashbacks. Bane of my existence. But yes, my dog is super super helpful when it comes to them. It's difficult to get stuck in a flashback when my dog is licking my hand like he's trained to. I'd advocate anybody with PTSD getting a service dog if they want one.
grinningjester
hatersmakemefamousss

I HATE flashbacks. Bane of my existence. But yes, my dog is super super helpful when it comes to them. It's difficult to get stuck in a flashback when my dog is licking my hand like he's trained to. I'd advocate anybody with PTSD getting a service dog if they want one.

Aw. I feel yah there.
Does the government have to pay for it?

Friendly Guildsman

hatersmakemefamousss
grinningjester
hatersmakemefamousss

Aw. I feel yah there.

No, they don't. Mine was paid for though because it is a worker's comp case. I did not get my dog from a program. Instead, I did most of the training myself, along with some professional dog training classes. I did have a certified tester give my dog the Public Access Test (similar test to the one seeing eye dogs have to pass). The Psychiatric Service Dog Society was a great place for me to learn about how to do it myself. They give a cost estimate here.
grinningjester
hatersmakemefamousss
grinningjester
hatersmakemefamousss

Aw. I feel yah there.

No, they don't. Mine was paid for though because it is a worker's comp case. I did not get my dog from a program. Instead, I did most of the training myself, along with some professional dog training classes. I did have a certified tester give my dog the Public Access Test (similar test to the one seeing eye dogs have to pass). The Psychiatric Service Dog Society was a great place for me to learn about how to do it myself. They give a cost estimate here.

Huh. Thanks so much.
I was gonna say, if they were paying for it, I'm gettin' a dog riiiight now. xD

Friendly Guildsman

hatersmakemefamousss

Huh. Thanks so much.
I was gonna say, if they were paying for it, I'm gettin' a dog riiiight now. xD
No problem. I wish they'd pay for it and if anyone out there knows if they do, I'd love to be corrected. Side note: I'm totally gonna add the Psychiatric Service Dog Society to the list of resources.
the more i read about the dogs the more i would love to have one. but i have my lil sam and he helps alot at home just can't go to places with me

Friendly Guildsman

Lil Enslaved Kitten
the more i read about the dogs the more i would love to have one. but i have my lil sam and he helps alot at home just can't go to places with me

Totally! Any size dog can be a service dog. Even little ones. As long as you get a doctor's letter saying you should have a service dog, all you have to do is train him to do tasks.
grinningjester
Lil Enslaved Kitten

Totally! Any size dog can be a service dog. Even little ones. As long as you get a doctor's letter saying you should have a service dog, all you have to do is train him to do tasks.
gonna have to really do some research on that then. 3nodding

Aged Regular

My fiance locked me in the room under our stairs today.
"Just to see what would happen."
emotion_facepalm
Not only is the floor in there now ruined,
but there is a new hole in the wall,
and I have not been able to stop shaking since.
/End rant.

Friendly Guildsman

Admiral Absurd
emotion_facepalm
/End rant.

Why in heavens would he do that?? I'm so sorry.

Aged Regular

grinningjester
Admiral Absurd
emotion_facepalm
/End rant.

Why in heavens would he do that?? I'm so sorry.
To see what would happen. emotion_eyebrow
Earlier I had told him about my situation with trees and what-not,
and he'd been drinking since morning.
I went in there to get paper towels,
and then
BAM! click.
I know he'd never do that while sober,
but, still. . n.
And thus all the alcohol went down the drain.
emotion_yatta
Admiral Absurd
emotion_facepalm
/End rant.
oh no i's sorry. hope you are feeling better this morning. and glad you got rid of all the drink if it makes him act like that

Aged Regular

Lil Enslaved Kitten
Admiral Absurd
emotion_facepalm
/End rant.
oh no i's sorry. hope you are feeling better this morning. and glad you got rid of all the drink if it makes him act like that
I'm already feeling much better, thank you. emotion_kirakira
We battled it out last night. He's still taped to the chair in the kitchen. Our relationship is complicated. >_>
At least I know fer sher he would NEVER act like that without being under the influence.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff