Welcome to Gaia! ::

1(bad) out of 10(good) how was your sex ed?

1 0.21649484536082 21.6% [ 21 ]
2 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
3 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
4 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
5 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
6 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
7 0.14432989690722 14.4% [ 14 ]
8 0.051546391752577 5.2% [ 5 ]
9 0.030927835051546 3.1% [ 3 ]
10 0.041237113402062 4.1% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 97 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Over in the In The News forum it's getting pretty heated, and there are people under the impression that absolutely no schools teach "abstinence only" or a strongly similar program in their health/sex ed classes, and that information on sex, safe sex, contraception, where to get it, how to get it, who to talk to, what to do, pregnancy, abortion, miscarriages, STDs, etc. etc. etc. is clearly available to everyone, be they in the middle of San Fran, or the farthest back woods of Alabama.

I'd like to get a poll from you happy people on your school experiences with this, where you learned it, how much you learned from there, and how much utter crap that you now know to be false.

For a starting point, I'll go first.
We watched a video when I was ten about puberty.
Fast forward foursix years and we learned about reproductive organs and the surrounding areas, and even though each class began with "abstinence, abstinence, abstinence," they always ended with "condoms, condoms, condoms," and the first week we all got to take one home if we thought we'd be needing one. We then learned about cancers, a few other illnesses, but mostly cancers and how to check for them, STDs, dictionary terms, contraceptives and their multiple uses, the accuracy of said contraceptives, horrific pictures of STDs and why if you suspect you have one you should go to the doctor before your d**k looks like a rock candy stick and your viggy wag hangs so low you can wobble to and fro... while you scream in pain.

I'm pretty sure there's more, but the internet has shown me so many thing I cannot unsee. I've become proficient in Web MD diagnoses.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
And let us not forget the girl who just had a germinating potato removed from her v****a because her mother said it was a good contraceptive!!

Dapper Dabbler

6,975 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Market Browser 100
it was weird. I had this creeper language arts teacher who was a cueball with a pot belly. He was the instructor who all the boys had to be taught from during the sex ed course.

He massaged my shoulder in class once during a lecture. I remember turning to my friend and we just gave each other this creeped out look. Hearing him talking about how sex felt good was disgusting.
I asked my 5th grade sex ed teacher if she had a p***s.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
I was homeschooled, and never had a sex ed class. I read books on puberty that I had to go out of my way to get myself. nobody told me to read them.

in fact, my first learning experience about sex was when I was 6 years old and saw snakes doing it on animal planet. my reaction was something along the lines of "wait, THAT'S how it happens?!" to which my mom replied, "of course. what did you think?"

well, I dunno, mom. nobody ever told me. was I supposed to just be born with that knowledge? for ******** sake.

and as a boy just about to enter puberty, I would occaisionally steal my little sister's book on girls growing up, and read that in secret. ya know, as an adult I realize how messed up that it is considered shameful for boys to learn about female maturation.

I did have some small amount of time in public highschool before dropping out. but I didn't have a Sex Ed class. instead, I had a Life Management Skills class, which included a single lesson on Sex Education. it literally consisted of images of sexually transmitted diseases, and dubious percentages of the effectiveness of a small variety of contraceptives (just condoms, BC, and abstinence).

it wasn't until after my dropping out of highschool and getting involved with the LGBT Pride Center that I began being properly educated about sex, contraception, STD's, sexuality, healthy relationships, abuse, Safe Places, my legal rights, and beneficial social services.

seriously, the best place to get ANY AND ALL INFORMATION regarding living a happy, healthy, safe life.... LGBT Pride Centers. find your local chapters, everyone. tell your friends about them, too.

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
Our sex ed was pretty thorough.

It focused a lot on STDs, and we learned all different ways of protection. For good measure, they threw in info women's menstrual cycle and how fetuses grow.

I would've liked to see a greater range of how different genitals can look for both genders.

The sad part was how incredibly minor the role of, you know, the act and enjoying that, was.

Bashful Businesswoman

When are things not heating up in the news forum.

Anyways my school literally just never taught it. Like ever. And I live in the super liberal part of CA

I only leaned anything thanks to TV and the Internet.

Demonic Lunatic

Grade 7 and 9 were the only years that had Sex Ed for me. It wasn't about sexual education, though, just trying to scare kids into staying abstinent ... although they may have had a point when I see all the trashy single mothers on my way to work each day that are in and around my age ...

stare

Bloodsucker

When we got to that chapter in Health class, he basically skipped over everything.
Whenever the words p***s or v****a came up he skimmed the pages. We were his first class and he's a coach so, I guess I understand a little bit about his embarrassment? But nothing about safe sex or anything about our sexual organs was learned that day.

We did watch a video of a woman giving birth and the class had a complete meltdown over a woman having pubic hair.
Our teacher encouraged us to start the discussion, with anonymous questions.
He had a box at the front of the class for 2 days, and said he was going to read every single one aloud.
The principal was invited, which we didn't know, and he began to read the filth aloud.
It was so bad that after he was done reading, they cancelled the sex ed program at the school I was attending, and gave out flyers for an optional after-school course at a community college that wasn't associated with the school at all. Don't know who ended up choosing that route.

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Our HS sex ed course was mostly on types of STDs and contraceptives, though we were told over and over and OVER that no contraceptive is perfect, even multiples used together (like pill + condom) could get you pregnant, the only 100% successful method is abstinence, blah blah blah. We also had some guy come in for a day (not a teacher) and give some talk about abstinence and saving yourself for marriage and love and crap, and he handed out cards for us to sign and keep in our wallet to "present to your spouse on your wedding day to show your purity". 3/4 of the class couldn't even sign it since they weren't virgins, haha. There may have been a small section on pregnancy, but it didn't really go over much more than "it takes nine months."

We did have a week or 2 in middle school as well, in health/gym class (it was considered a combined thing), where they separated the girls and guys and watched a video on puberty, then took anonymous questions. In the girl section there were very few questions, mostly around periods and boobs, but apparently the guys' class had some weird ones.

Adorable Fisher

Our Health teacher passed around a picture of a p***s with Gonn..Gonnerherr...you know what I'm trying to say...in about high school. No sex for five years.

Blessed Prophet

They scared us with STD's, but then didn't tell us how to protect ourselves just pretty much that "abstinence is the only option". ********, they didn't even talk about what sex really was beyond "a p***s goes into a v****a". I had to teach half the ******** class what a condom was, that yes females can masturbate, and I was the one who had to teach what the different options for pregnancy were.

Mind you, this wasn't during the class. Kids in the class would come up to me (I was a junior when I took the class because it was the only year I could fit it in so I was surrounded by freshmen, and I had a long term relationship at that point) and ask me questions that they didn't answer in the class.

I even asked the instructors why the hell they don't teach different contraceptive methods were, and the answer I got was "this is what the state allows us to teach" bullshit. Okay, so I can blame the state when some kid gets knocked up because they didn't know how to use a condom.

Blessed Prophet

spacekitten
Our HS sex ed course was mostly on types of STDs and contraceptives, though we were told over and over and OVER that no contraceptive is perfect, even multiples used together (like pill + condom) could get you pregnant, the only 100% successful method is abstinence, blah blah blah. We also had some guy come in for a day (not a teacher) and give some talk about abstinence and saving yourself for marriage and love and crap, and he handed out cards for us to sign and keep in our wallet to "present to your spouse on your wedding day to show your purity". 3/4 of the class couldn't even sign it since they weren't virgins, haha. There may have been a small section on pregnancy, but it didn't really go over much more than "it takes nine months."

We did have a week or 2 in middle school as well, in health/gym class (it was considered a combined thing), where they separated the girls and guys and watched a video on puberty, then took anonymous questions. In the girl section there were very few questions, mostly around periods and boobs, but apparently the guys' class had some weird ones.

Sounds like what I went through. ******** stupid Christian ideals should not influence what is taught about human sexuality.

King Noob

I learned from my school in 8th grade, all I remember is they made us watch a video where they were flicking condoms at the camera and yelling CONDOMS. I remember because we were all giggling and smirking about how stupid it was. think the teacher yelled at us to be quiet a couple of times.

I learned everything from home basically. School didn't really help.....much lol
But that might be because I had the "IDGAF about anything" mentality back then

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces