Welcome to Gaia! ::

1(bad) out of 10(good) how was your sex ed?

1 0.21649484536082 21.6% [ 21 ]
2 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
3 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
4 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
5 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
6 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
7 0.14432989690722 14.4% [ 14 ]
8 0.051546391752577 5.2% [ 5 ]
9 0.030927835051546 3.1% [ 3 ]
10 0.041237113402062 4.1% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 97 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Demonic Explorer

6,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
I attended francophone school (french) here in Canada.
At my school in grade 9,we had one single lesson, and it was when a woman came to our class during Science class. She showed how to put condoms on bananas and talked about STDs a bit too...
The class was divided between boys and girls and they were taught differently. The boys were only taught about the male reproductive organ while the girls were taught both. They wouldn't teach us about protection or contraceptives and how to use then unless we specifically asked for it. The teacher said she wasn't allowed to teach it otherwise. That could have been bullshit though.

Hallowed Lunatic

i got the puberty video in 4th grade.... Lived in New Mexico then... it was your typical vid...

.... In 5th Grade (Texas), the boys got taken out of the room and apparently THEY had their puberty video (but we girls didn't).

In 6th grade (Maryland) they split up our science class by gender and we watched two separate videos: one on males and another on females. It was strictly scientific/ anatomy; biology etc.

Freshman Year in High school I lived in Alabama and went to a catholic school. They taught sex-ed in Catholic Morality/ doctrine class. There, they taught us about STDs, the Pros and Cons of Birth control and different methods of abortion.... and later in the year we were forced to watch a video about abortion. Watched a live D&C .... Blech. It was a shock propaganda methodology, but I can honestly say that catholic school at least made it clear that we were going to do it anyway haha

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
Learned most of what I know out of a home medical encyclopedia when I was eight. My mom also gave me a puberty book(what's happening to my body and all that s**t), and looking back my "seriously, mom?" reaction must have been priceless. Also got another one that had more about the psychological and social changes(including some makeup tips I follow to this day!) in addition to your usual puberty book.

We had the biology teacher give us the birds and bees deal at the 8th grade, but since it was our biology teacher which no one respected, she couldn't get beyond "when a boy and a girl love each other" without constant mockery and interruption from my worldly and unruly classmates.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
Alexander J Luthor
And let us not forget the girl who just had a germinating potato removed from her v****a because her mother said it was a good contraceptive!!

Proof that Abstinence works. emotion_facepalm
AzN Dynomite
Grade 7 and 9 were the only years that had Sex Ed for me. It wasn't about sexual education, though, just trying to scare kids into staying abstinent ... although they may have had a point when I see all the trashy single mothers on my way to work each day that are in and around my age ...

stare

How old are you?!
CB_Young
We were told that condoms couldn't protect against HIV (as in, there was a diagram in the book about how the virus went right through latex) and it could be spread through kissing, and that oral sex was riskier than vaginal--not that we should be doing that for any reason other than to make a baby when we were married. The only mentions of contraception was to say that it is dangerous and should not be used by anyone.

It was called the FACTS program, and it was nothing short of blatantly lying to the students.

"The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with war, the Ministry of Truth with lies, the Ministry of Love with torture and the Ministry of Plenty with starvation. These contradictions are not accidental , nor do they result from from ordinary hypocrisy: they are deliberate exercises in doublethink”

― George Orwell, 1984

Alexander J Luthor
This Is NoMercy
And the internet is the worst double edged sword. Do you read fanfiction much? A lot of girls, GIRLS; people who should know what a hymen is, describe it like an invisible sheath in their lady bits that a guy practically has to stab through, and that's why sex supposedly hurts and you bleed for the first time.

That's actually what I thought long after I lost my virginity. For reference, I'm an adult woman and sexually active for 5 years. Those girls are probably 11-14 year olds and very hopefully virgins. I have no excuse. emotion_facepalm

freelance lover

Wow.

boob jiggle
One year something happened with the actual sex ed teachers, and the schools gym leaders got stuck having to teach sex ed.

They were a couple single guys in their late 20's who were the least mature teachers I've ever had. The one shot spermicidal foam all over himself and ended up getting a condom stuck in the ceiling.

Aside from them telling a lot of dirty jokes and giggling like schoolgirls though it was the most honest sex ed class I've ever seen.

rofl

Bornes

This...This is horrible! Americans here vilify us for teaching older children about WWII and The Holocaust, and yet they pull off THIS KIND OF ******** SICK s**t. I am so very, deeply sorry for what you went through. To say you were/are traumatized would be an understatement. You should make those assholes pay.

Sparkling Member

1,950 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Gender Swap 100
My Catholic school's sex-ed was literally a class centered around the Humanae Vitae encyclical by Pope JPII, and nothing else. Do I win for worst sex-ed background?

Tipsy Kitten

5th grade: classes separated by gender, we were taught like I guess introductory to puberty?
6th grade: more puberty stuff, still segregated by gender
7th grade: there were a couple days about puberty but more about anatomy, and I remember the last day we had the boys and girls together and talked to as whole. I remember they went over sexual harassment.
8th grade: this was a lot about pregnancy and birth. We watched a woman give birth, and I've seen some nasty things and that was probably the worse thing I've seen.

9th and 10th was all about sex, STDs, pregnancy. People from Planned Parenthood came to teach us. I don't think abstinence was ever really the main topic in sex ed. It was always like, we know you're going to have sex so heres how to do it safely.
In the tenth grade I became apart of a group called "spare change" which was a performing group that went to the high schools in norcal and did skits/plays about teen pregnancy, sexual harassment, rape, STDs, and other things.

I'm really glad I had science based sex ed.

Noble Bookworm

10,650 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
the worst.. it was dumb.

Camp Counselor

10,300 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
We HAD to draw stick figures in positions. Yup.
nitznitz

How old are you?!
CB_Young
We were told that condoms couldn't protect against HIV (as in, there was a diagram in the book about how the virus went right through latex) and it could be spread through kissing, and that oral sex was riskier than vaginal--not that we should be doing that for any reason other than to make a baby when we were married. The only mentions of contraception was to say that it is dangerous and should not be used by anyone.

It was called the FACTS program, and it was nothing short of blatantly lying to the students.

"The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with war, the Ministry of Truth with lies, the Ministry of Love with torture and the Ministry of Plenty with starvation. These contradictions are not accidental , nor do they result from from ordinary hypocrisy: they are deliberate exercises in doublethink”

― George Orwell, 1984

That is a surprisingly good description.

And the big problem with it was that they weren't teaching it to little kids. We were in high school, and our bodies, minds, and emotions were feeling the things that kids that age do. "Masturbation is bad for you!" "Really? I've been doing it on a regular basis for 2 years!" They might have thought to fool us about the things about viruses, but I'm pretty sure everyone in those classes was already an expert on masturbation. I don't know who to blame, but someone really screwed the pooch on that entire lesson plan.

It sounded like something you would come across in the rural 1900's, but this was taught in a middle class suburban school in 2000. (Granted, it was east Texas.)

Shirtless Detective

7,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
What if I don't remember my sex ed experience.. LOL

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Bornes
I know this is kind of old but I had to contribute.

1990s, Georgia, USA.

Elementary school:
If you have sex, you will get pregnant and you will probably get AIDS.
This is a legit scenario that one of the teachers described. I am not making this up:

If you're at a party, and eat a potato chip, that chip could cut your mouth. And then if you kiss someone else, you will get AIDS.

Middleschool:
A horrific slideshow of all the worst-scenario cases of all STDs you could ever get.
Also, if you have sex, you WILL become pregnant.

And, anything other than PIV was never brought up. I s**t you not. I had no idea what oral sex was until I was in highschool, and even then, I only knew about it because of the internet and sexually active friends. Nobody in any sex ed class EVER brought it up.

ADDITIONALLY, we never, ever touched condoms. We only talked about them. I see several people mentioning taking condoms home and s**t-- no, I never got that. We didn't even get that demonstration of condoms over bananas that happens in the movies.

I'll tell you what we DID get.

A GIGANTIC stuffed sperm, which turned into a group activity of the entire class holding the sperm. Then, a symbolic representation of a condom (which was like a donut).

"As you can see, Sammy the sperm cannot fit through the condom, but HIV (a penny) CAN."
So we were taught that if you use a condom having sex, maybe you won't get pregnant, but you'll still DEFINITELY get AIDS.

Highschool:

We dusted off the old slideshow of horrendous STDs in the worst-case scenarios, with the lies that all STDs ever were always this bad. But we got a new addition this year: We got to see the "Miracle of life" video, which if anyone was unaware, it is the most ugly-a** video you could ever watch of a woman giving birth to a giant bloody alien blob known as a human child.

By this time, Abstinence-only education was coming under heat, so we actually did talk a little bit about sex, mainly if you have it, use a condom, but there were still a lot of scare tactics and basically the ending message was, again, if you have sex, you will get pregnant and get AIDS.

So, I was ******** scared as s**t of sex. They never taught us about masturbation either. I didn't know what masturbation was. I just knew when I touched myself it felt good but that was bad.

Seriously, my sex life was pretty ******** traumatic when it finally happened. I cried during and after sex until I was 23 years old. Abstinence-only education was maddening and I think it should be criminal.

Elementary and middle school sex ed was full of misinformation and just blatant lies and scare tactics. By highschool we were finally getting "real" information, but it was presented in a very VERY misleading way.

Also, there is always the ability to "opt out" of sex ed. Parents have to OK sex ed in Georgia. Plenty of kids weren't allowed to go because their parents said no. They were sent to a study hall where they learned absolutely nothing about sex.

EDIT:
If you can read this infograph (they made it TOO huge imo), it goes through the timeline of abstinence-only education, and basically why states did it.
http://ncac.org/wp-content/uploads/import/AbstinenceOnlyInfographic2.png
tl;dr the government gave states who taught abstinence-only education a bunch of money.

emotion_facepalm Wow, I'm from Georgia and the sex-ed we had was not nearly so bad. Then again, I learned in the 2000s

Eloquent Explorer

10,250 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
I wasn't offered a decent class until college

In middle school it was scare tactics and horrible images
we didn't even touch the subject in high school really

Invisible Senshi

I'd like to get a poll from you happy people on your school experiences with this, where you learned it,
Uh...I had that class three times. Human Reproduction class (5th grade. Girls and boys were separated.) Family Education (7th? grade) and a random three day class in 10th grade. It was all the same thing. It was boring and ridiculous.

how much you learned from there
Most of the stuff I learned in there did not apply to me and I already knew about that stuff. (I read ALOT when I was a kid.) It was weird. The topics was mostly about gay sex, lesbian sex, and discovering your sexuality. (I'm not being mean. That's WHAT WE LEARNED.) Like the time the teacher showed us how to put a condom onto a banana. It suddenly turned into a discussion about if a guy could use it on himself or something. I did not learn anything new/interesting; but I think my classmates did.

and how much utter crap that you now know to be false.
I'm not sure...they talk about sex like it's...something we are all supposed to be obsessed with when we're only 10 years old. (Then again, I was the odd one. I was probably the only one not interested.)
One thing our teacher taught us in 5th grade that was utter crap was that STDs are extremely rare. (I bet you remember that giant poster with one blue and one pink girl infected and somehow the disease skipped 30 people and only 5 got sick. The infected ones were the only ones colored in.) Wow. Until I got older and read a few articles and some books STDs, I realized that they were teaching us that casual sex was AWESOME and TOTALLY SAFE, KIDS!!! You'll get sick if you are unlucky! Only the pink and blue ones are sick!

Invisible Regular

I've been in Catholic school my entire life. In 5th grade, all of the girls were pulled out of the room and shown a video on periods. The boys watched a video about male puberty. That was it.

In high school, the only technical sex ed we ever had was studying the reproductive system from a purely scientific standpoint. No condom/STD/teen pregnancy talks, just science. In our morality classes, the only thing emphasized was abstinence.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff