Welcome to Gaia! ::

1(bad) out of 10(good) how was your sex ed?

1 0.21649484536082 21.6% [ 21 ]
2 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
3 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
4 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
5 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
6 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
7 0.14432989690722 14.4% [ 14 ]
8 0.051546391752577 5.2% [ 5 ]
9 0.030927835051546 3.1% [ 3 ]
10 0.041237113402062 4.1% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 97 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
zweet_dreamz
I can't say that I've had a horrible sex-ed class.
The topics were in our 'home-ec' text book, so I read about them months before the actual sex-ed class.
I was twelve back then and in my first year of secondary.
But I knew what sex was and how pregnancy works (simply what it was, not about STD's and cancers and such) from a hand-me-down book my mother gave to me when I was 10 or eleven (I read a lot back then).
When we finally got our sex-ed class, it was given to us by people from the planned parenthood.
We learned about drugs and sex at the same time, they talked about the types of STD's that existed, how to prevent pregnancies and birth control methods.
The superficial stuff.
Went deeper into the topic when I was 18 or so and we had lots of pamphlets sitting around at our library.
But the topic came back in all of my biology books in high school, so you just kept reading about it.
I learned about HPV and the vaccines years later in the news and once I saw my first HPV positive cells during cytology class.

What I don't get is why people don't want to talk about abstinence.
While it isn't the only form of protection against sex, it is a good preventative method.
Because seriously, who's going to get pregnant from willingly not having sex?
And don't even start about rape because I said 'willingly'

Abstinence is cool, but going to the point of outright lying about sexual education in order to force people to abstain, and trying to control their decisions, really bothers me.
I actually had pretty good sex ed, but I grew up in a diverse and somewhat affluent suburb of Dallas. It was pretty progressive on most fronts (I also got good education on different religions as well, not to mention evolution).

In fourth grade we watched the "your changing body" video (just the girls). In fifth grade the separated the boys and the girls and made us watch the changing body video for both sexes (which was supremely awkward after school but whatever).

Eighth grade we got more in depth anatomy and some basic sex ed. We went over anatomy in more detail (I think we had to label the scrotum and ovaries and everything on a test). I actually had a really good teacher who forced us to use anatomically correct terms and refused to answer questions if we said "d**k" or "weener" and let us ask any question we wanted and answered them well.

More sex ed was incorporated in the high school class, which I actually took the summer after eighth grade but you would take anywhere between 9th-12th grade. I took it in summer school so it was really condensed but that was where we got comprehensive contraception and the slide show of what happens to you junk when you get different STDs. We even talked about age of consent laws and stuff- it was really good.

Of course, then I went to college in Oklahoma and found out most of my peers had had no sex ed at all beyond "don't have sex or you'll get pregnant and die." I wish everyone had sex ed like I did, it was extremely informative. I remember a few pregnant girls at my school, but considering I went to a high school of 3000+ students, the numbers were pretty low.

Dabbler

this rainbow lover
Our teacher was also so pro-life it hurt. She literally started crying when she had to talk about abortion. Talk about professional.
Was she... supposed to be qualified for this or did they just shove her into that position? I kind of feel bad for her. confused

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Alexander J Luthor
zweet_dreamz
I can't say that I've had a horrible sex-ed class.
The topics were in our 'home-ec' text book, so I read about them months before the actual sex-ed class.
I was twelve back then and in my first year of secondary.
But I knew what sex was and how pregnancy works (simply what it was, not about STD's and cancers and such) from a hand-me-down book my mother gave to me when I was 10 or eleven (I read a lot back then).
When we finally got our sex-ed class, it was given to us by people from the planned parenthood.
We learned about drugs and sex at the same time, they talked about the types of STD's that existed, how to prevent pregnancies and birth control methods.
The superficial stuff.
Went deeper into the topic when I was 18 or so and we had lots of pamphlets sitting around at our library.
But the topic came back in all of my biology books in high school, so you just kept reading about it.
I learned about HPV and the vaccines years later in the news and once I saw my first HPV positive cells during cytology class.

What I don't get is why people don't want to talk about abstinence.
While it isn't the only form of protection against sex, it is a good preventative method.
Because seriously, who's going to get pregnant from willingly not having sex?
And don't even start about rape because I said 'willingly'

Abstinence is cool, but going to the point of outright lying about sexual education in order to force people to abstain, and trying to control their decisions, really bothers me.

I'm not so sure how it works in America, but how are schools lying about sex-ed n order to force people to abstain?

Bashful Businesswoman

Alexander J Luthor
[

lol I read fanfiction all day every day.
lol
Didn't teach me much about straight sex, but I got a pretty big lesson in the gay buttsex department.

Bashful Businesswoman

zweet_dreamz
[

I'm not so sure how it works in America, but how are schools lying about sex-ed n order to force people to abstain?

They outright tell students condoms and birth control don't work. Or that they're somehow unhealthy and will get you sick/damage your organs. They also forbid masturbation and demonize every type of sex.
One of my friends lived in the Deep South, and they slut-shamed a whole lot too.
One time, a teacher demonstrated by using a cupcake with fancy icing to represent a girls virginity. He then licked all the fancy icing off the cupcake, and said that the equivalent happens to girls who have sex before marriage. They aren't considered "pretty" anymore, they're now seen as used and dirty and gross, because who wants a cupcake with all the icing licked off? (uuggghh)
And of course, the boys never got this talk.
neutral
And yes, this is all 100% legal.

Tipsy Tycoon

9,500 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I can't say how good sex-ed was in terms of the information covered or anything because I blocked out most of that from elementary school. I was clearly not ready to learn about that stuff because I was extremely immature compared to my peers and it was pretty traumatizing and disgusting to me. crying

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
This Is NoMercy
zweet_dreamz
[

They outright tell students condoms and birth control don't work. Or that they're somehow unhealthy and will get you sick/damage your organs. They also forbid masturbation and demonize every type of sex.
One of my friends lived in the Deep South, and they slut-shamed a whole lot too.
One time, a teacher demonstrated by using a cupcake with fancy icing to represent a girls virginity. He then licked all the fancy icing off the cupcake, and said that the equivalent happens to girls who have sex before marriage. They aren't considered "pretty" anymore, they're now seen as used and dirty and gross, because who wants a cupcake with all the icing licked off? (uuggghh)
And of course, the boys never got this talk.
neutral
And yes, this is all 100% legal.

Oh my...!
Your statements are funny, but sad at the same time.
I lived in a mainly Christian country, but we never got the 'you're impure if you have sex' talk.
Sure, priests would preach abstinence, but schools were required to state the facts during sex-ed, even the Catholic schools.
All our biology books talked about birth control methods and the percentage of effectivity when used properly.
The only thing I wished is that parents wold talk to their kids about sex education instead of leaving all of this to the school.

But man, that's...really sad.
One year something happened with the actual sex ed teachers, and the schools gym leaders got stuck having to teach sex ed.

They were a couple single guys in their late 20's who were the least mature teachers I've ever had. The one shot spermicidal foam all over himself and ended up getting a condom stuck in the ceiling.

Aside from them telling a lot of dirty jokes and giggling like schoolgirls though it was the most honest sex ed class I've ever seen.

Bashful Businesswoman

zweet_dreamz

Oh my...!
I lived in a mainly Christian country, but we never got the 'you're impure if you have sex' talk.
Sure, priests would preach abstinence, but schools were required to state the facts during sex-ed, even the Catholic schools.
All our biology books talked about birth control methods and the percentage of effectivity when used properly.
The only thing I wished is that parents wold talk to their kids about sex education instead of leaving all of this to the school.

Yeah it is.
Luckily I don't think it's this bad everywhere, that was more of an extreme example, but its still a big problem.

What country do you live in?

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
This Is NoMercy
zweet_dreamz

Oh my...!

Yeah it is.
Luckily I don't think it's this bad everywhere, that was more of an extreme example, but its still a big problem.

What country do you live in?

Originally, I'm from Curacao, but right now I live in the Netherlands.

Shameless Man-Lover

Naked Bacon
this rainbow lover
Our teacher was also so pro-life it hurt. She literally started crying when she had to talk about abortion. Talk about professional.
Was she... supposed to be qualified for this or did they just shove her into that position? I kind of feel bad for her. confused

She had been the health teacher for several years at the high school, as far as I'm aware. It was her main teaching job. She also coached some girls sports and had a gym class every once in a while. She was reading us this horribly bias propaganda about this women who used to work at an abortion clinic and now was really upset about abortions and what not. It was stupid and totally not needed for us to understand abortion. :/
well i never had a sex ed class

i had science and health

they taught us sex ed in 8th grade science for a couple of weeks

i don't remember any sex ed in high school

btw i went to catholic schools

i mean they never even really taught us abstinence only though

they just never brought it up all throughout high school

well actually they may have taught us in health but idr

they taught us a bunch about inappropriate touching and things like that though. like don't let any adult hurt you, don't let any classmates hurt you. and i mean they enforced the dress code but they didn't even preach that much about what to do outside of school. well i guess we did get drug free stuff taught to us heavily. so nvm

i mean for what they did teach us i think it was a 6/10. but i guess i should have knocked off a few points b/c i seriously do not really remember anything on sex/relationships being taught in HS other than often times we would get preached at for things like child abuse and bullying and looking out for yourself and things like that.

maybe i'll make a list of things i never learned...? i guess i didn't learn that much after all. but they did teach us quite a bit.

i probably wasn't paying attention b/c i didn't care about sex anyways and i still thought it was really gross until i was ~15/16 even though my mom taught me when i was 10.

but i mean i was pretty heavily taught about no no parts and private zones up to then. so maybe that's simply why i thought it was gross for so long. b/c of all that teaching up to then. idk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff