Welcome to Gaia! ::

1(bad) out of 10(good) how was your sex ed?

1 0.21649484536082 21.6% [ 21 ]
2 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
3 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
4 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
5 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
6 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
7 0.14432989690722 14.4% [ 14 ]
8 0.051546391752577 5.2% [ 5 ]
9 0.030927835051546 3.1% [ 3 ]
10 0.041237113402062 4.1% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 97 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Quotable Dabbler

7,290 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
It's hard to rate a sex ex class when I didn't have any.

I grew up Holdeman Mennonite. In our 8th grade science book, the part about reproduction was covered in sharpie, white out, and blue tape.

I took an online high school course and got NO sex ed from that either.
I learned a few things from classes but most of what I know has been learned through the internet. and not just the complicated stuff the simple stuff too. Iike what different downstairs parts of female anatomy was called. Seriously whos idea was it to skip that? stare

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

Fourth grade with the whole reproductive organs spiel separated by gender to learn about the opposite set of genitals.

High school was pretty good, though, for high school. Focused on safe sex should you have it, how both sets of organs worked, different cancers and how to check for them, how to put on a condom, etc.

Yes.
How to put on a condom.
I was impressed they even did that, but the teacher also taught a full health class (which also had a sex ed section) so his attention to detail was unsurprising.

He also taught about how to stay safe during nights out, the dangers of alcohol in bars/clubs and date rape, what drugs were used and how to avoid getting drugged, and so on. Then he went on to say that defense was as important as diminishing offense (in this case, protecting victims as well as teaching kids to not do that s**t—if they learned anything) and taught kids that it was okay to say no, that it was not okay and illegal to push yes and override consent, that it was important to respect the partner's wishes, etc.

Then there was the STD section of the class.
We don't speak of the STD section.

Myself and one other person were the only ones able to keep a straight face while staring at infected organs. Pretty hilarious when two people are |: while the rest of the class was screaming bloody murder.

Dangerous Regular

8,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I'm from Illinois, went to public schools all my life, and received a pretty great sex education. I'm knowledgable on how everything works, in both females and males, as well as contraception and STDs. My knowledge on studs came later, when I took an epidemiology course in college though. I credit everything I learned for helping me wait till I was 21 and 6 months into dating,to become sexually active.; which is when I felt truly ready, comfortable, and felt confident I loved him and was loved back.

I assumed all schools in my state were like mine, but it turned out no. My boyfriend went to a private Lutheran school, up till highschool, and had horrible sex Ed. He's 26 now, and became sexually active at age 15, so he learned most things regarding to sex, from experience. He didn't even know the difference between circumsised and uncircumsised, until I told him.. He apparently thought it was something a guy can't tell on his own, and he never wanted to ask his parents. He unfortunately also has pretty basic knowledge of STDs, and feels getting tested is a waste of money and time.

Dangerous Smoker

5,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
It seems less and less high schools are offering sex-ed in the American school system. (Especially since my high school's sex-ed teacher quit a few years back because she apparently felt uncomfortable.)

Instead of sex-ed, schools are beginning to offer six week programs in middle schools. You don't have to do any work, you just sit there, and you barely learn anything. They show you your own genitals more than they show the opposite gender's genitals.

Gracious Millionaire

9,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
My sex-ed class was definitely lacking and only preached abstinence, but that is primarily because it was a private Christian school.

Fashionable Shopper

[S]ilver[R]ose
My sex-ed class was definitely lacking and only preached abstinence, but that is primarily because it was a private Christian school.

My sex-ed class consisted of reading The Scarlet Letter... in English class. She went on a spiel about how sex was dangerous unless you were married and how emotionally scarred you will be if you have sex out of wedlock.
Alexander J Luthor
And let us not forget the girl who just had a germinating potato removed from her v****a because her mother said it was a good contraceptive!!

My high school science teacher had someone do that before (originally wanted to be a doctor), but they were trying to masturbate with the potato.

I had comprehensive sex education, so I don't really count for this. :c
I remember talking to my health teacher about this and she said some schools receive such shitty sex ed because they won't get funding if they actually teach you how to protect yourself & s**t.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I had sex ed in 5th and 8th grade. In 5th grade, it was really jut puberty ed; they just said this is going to happen to you soon and so expect it". In 8th grade, it was pretty much just STIs are bad, protect yourself

Clever Goat

We watched the "Miracle of Life" video in the fifth grade, then got the "your body is changing" talk with anatomy and how pregnancy worked. Fast forward to the ninth grade and we did team building exercises and learned about abstinence. Seriously. Team building. Like trust falls and s**t.
We didn't even learn about condoms or STDs. Just how to trust our fellow classmates.

Fanatical Phantom

How about this - I never had a sex ed class. Ever. In elementary school they decided we were too immature for it, and in high school my teacher assumed we'd all had it in elementary school.

To be fair, most students DID have it in elementary school. It's just that my school didn't because the teachers agreed we were all too immature to handle it.

Loiterer

I know this is kind of old but I had to contribute.

1990s, Georgia, USA.

Elementary school:
If you have sex, you will get pregnant and you will probably get AIDS.
This is a legit scenario that one of the teachers described. I am not making this up:

If you're at a party, and eat a potato chip, that chip could cut your mouth. And then if you kiss someone else, you will get AIDS.

Middleschool:
A horrific slideshow of all the worst-scenario cases of all STDs you could ever get.
Also, if you have sex, you WILL become pregnant.

And, anything other than PIV was never brought up. I s**t you not. I had no idea what oral sex was until I was in highschool, and even then, I only knew about it because of the internet and sexually active friends. Nobody in any sex ed class EVER brought it up.

ADDITIONALLY, we never, ever touched condoms. We only talked about them. I see several people mentioning taking condoms home and s**t-- no, I never got that. We didn't even get that demonstration of condoms over bananas that happens in the movies.

I'll tell you what we DID get.

A GIGANTIC stuffed sperm, which turned into a group activity of the entire class holding the sperm. Then, a symbolic representation of a condom (which was like a donut).

"As you can see, Sammy the sperm cannot fit through the condom, but HIV (a penny) CAN."
So we were taught that if you use a condom having sex, maybe you won't get pregnant, but you'll still DEFINITELY get AIDS.

Highschool:

We dusted off the old slideshow of horrendous STDs in the worst-case scenarios, with the lies that all STDs ever were always this bad. But we got a new addition this year: We got to see the "Miracle of life" video, which if anyone was unaware, it is the most ugly-a** video you could ever watch of a woman giving birth to a giant bloody alien blob known as a human child.

By this time, Abstinence-only education was coming under heat, so we actually did talk a little bit about sex, mainly if you have it, use a condom, but there were still a lot of scare tactics and basically the ending message was, again, if you have sex, you will get pregnant and get AIDS.

So, I was ******** scared as s**t of sex. They never taught us about masturbation either. I didn't know what masturbation was. I just knew when I touched myself it felt good but that was bad.

Seriously, my sex life was pretty ******** traumatic when it finally happened. I cried during and after sex until I was 23 years old. Abstinence-only education was maddening and I think it should be criminal.

Elementary and middle school sex ed was full of misinformation and just blatant lies and scare tactics. By highschool we were finally getting "real" information, but it was presented in a very VERY misleading way.

Also, there is always the ability to "opt out" of sex ed. Parents have to OK sex ed in Georgia. Plenty of kids weren't allowed to go because their parents said no. They were sent to a study hall where they learned absolutely nothing about sex.

EDIT:
If you can read this infograph (they made it TOO huge imo), it goes through the timeline of abstinence-only education, and basically why states did it.
http://ncac.org/wp-content/uploads/import/AbstinenceOnlyInfographic2.png
tl;dr the government gave states who taught abstinence-only education a bunch of money.

Buggy Nymph

58,625 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
I rated a "4" because while it's probably better than most, I think it was far from exhaustive.

So i went to school in the bay area, in CA. We had a basic "your body is changing, this is what puberty is like" thing in 5th grade, ditto at 7th, then proper sex ed in.... either at 15 or 16 i can't remember. I also got a positive "puberty + you" book during middle school; I remember being all eek because the artist drew full frontal nudity.

So, high school was the most comprehensive. The teacher offered to show us STD genitalia if we liked, so only those who were curious saw. It talked about the basic mechanics of PIV impregnation, different birthcontrol (no demonstrations), stages of pregnancy, and "it's ok to masturbate; it's okay to be gay".

It is better than a lot of places, but I still find it disappointing. There wasn't a thorough explanation/description of the junk: I didn't know there were such things as a foreskin, clitoris (let alone the internal crura), let alone how similar the two extremes could be, or that there were arrangements other than two. Hell, I didn't know junk could look different. No talk about the prostrate, or the hymen. I continued to think that the hymen was a vacuum seal and that "popping" happened, that piv is "supposed to hurt and bleed the first time". I learned more from my college anatomy&physiology class than i did in high school, and more from online than i did in college.

Speaking of intersex, no acknowledgement was made of that, or anything about gender really. 0 words about trans and/or intersex people. Hell I think there was only the G acknowledged of the acronym: I don't remember a lesbian depiction, nor talking about bi people (pan + poly weren't as common back then), let alone asexual ones. I had to find AVEN on my own.

There wasn't acknowledgement that there were more ways to have sex than PIV missionary. Since trans people didn't exist apparently, it was always presented as heteronormative. No mention of toys, positions, or kinks (I'm not suggesting giving graphic material, just a "people like to have sex different ways; there are lots of ways of having sex" dealie).

There was some discussion about relationships, and what made healthy ones, which I;m glad about, but no talk of consent, or even rape.

I think the total time was maybe two hours tops. neutral
I'm from Europe. I think we didn't really have sex ed at my school. We had a subject of "education to citizenship" which at higher classes was replaced by "social studies". The social studies as well as biology contain elements of what could be considered sex education, I suppose. We learnt about how the reproductive system works and about types of contraception. Very basic. I don't know how much this is covered in schools nowadays but I know sometimes people from an external organization come to schools to give lectures on these topics.

Conservative Genius

32,750 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
I "learned" about it in 8th grade. The teachers didn't do a very good job in explaining anything at all, but they did show us STDs.
The closest we got was of a cartoon clip of a duckie.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff