Welcome to Gaia! ::

I feel you guys!

I was in a long distance relationship for about 4 years. I lived in Ontario Canada and he lived in Phoenix Arizona. He moved here permanently shortly before we got married in 2011 and has been here since. smile You can do it!!

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
I feel you guys!

I was in a long distance relationship for about 4 years. I lived in Ontario Canada and he lived in Phoenix Arizona. He moved here permanently shortly before we got married in 2011 and has been here since. smile You can do it!!

Omg my boyfriend/fiancé live in Mohave Valley Arizona and I live Ontario Canada
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
I feel you guys!

That's awesome! If he is planning on coming to Canada and you have any questions, we went through the immigration process without a hitch!

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
I feel you guys!

That's awesome! If he is planning on coming to Canada and you have any questions, we went through the immigration process without a hitch!

He is!
Please help me and guide me.
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
I feel you guys!

He is!

Get married first for sure. There is no fiance visa for Canadian immigration. Once you get married, you can file pretty much right away. But start collecting things now to prove that you have a genuine relationship. I got him set up with a joint bank account so his name came up on bill payments, I got reciepts for all travel/gifts, etc. Showed mutual friends on Facebook, showed Facebook chats, etc etc. There's soo much stuff.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
I feel you guys!

He is!

Get married first for sure. There is no fiance visa for Canadian immigration. Once you get married, you can file pretty much right away. But start collecting things now to prove that you have a genuine relationship. I got him set up with a joint bank account so his name came up on bill payments, I got reciepts for all travel/gifts, etc. Showed mutual friends on Facebook, showed Facebook chats, etc etc. There's soo much stuff.

We have no mutual friends on fb.
But I have the chats on Skype and some of fb but more Skype.
I have a lot of amazon receipts. So you think we should get married before he comes?
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
I feel you guys!

He is!

I have a lot of amazon receipts. So you think we should get married before he comes?

He can come visit for up to 6 months, you don't have to be married for that. You just won't be able to sponsor him until you're married.
You can extend his stay, too. He came to 'visit' for 6 months, we got married and started paperwork for immigration, then extended his stay another 6 months because we were going through his immigration. They accepted it, and he just stayed!

Just make sure when he comes to 'visit', it doesn't look like he is moving. And make sure he doesn't say he's moving there. The border people want to make sure he is going to be coming back to the US and not overstaying here.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss

He is!

He can come visit for up to 6 months, you don't have to be married for that. You just won't be able to sponsor him until you're married.
You can extend his stay, too. He came to 'visit' for 6 months, we got married and started paperwork for immigration, then extended his stay another 6 months because we were going through his immigration. They accepted it, and he just stayed!

Just make sure when he comes to 'visit', it doesn't look like he is moving. And make sure he doesn't say he's moving there. The border people want to make sure he is going to be coming back to the US and not overstaying here.

But should we go ahead and get married anyways? It's already clear that him and I are going to stay together for a very long time. Even if we have only been together for a year and half but we have known each other for 7 years almost. Plus I love him so very very much and I know he loves me just as much if not more.
I know for now he can only come up to visit for x amount of time since he only get a week off of work but the great thing is I can go down to USA no problem since I'm a dual citizen and only reason why I'm going down there because I have in a way built up my life in Canada since I'm in school and still will be school for a long time plus he doesn't want me to go where he is.
Would it make it easier on him since he's native? He's 100% native
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss

He is!

But should we go ahead and get married anyways? It's already clear that him and I are going to stay together for a very long time. Even if we have only been together for a year and half but we have known each other for 7 years almost. Plus I love him so very very much and I know he loves me just as much if not more.
I know for now he can only come up to visit for x amount of time since he only get a week off of work but the great thing is I can go down to USA no problem since I'm a dual citizen and only reason why I'm going down there because I have in a way built up my life in Canada since I'm in school and still will be school for a long time plus he doesn't want me to go where he is.

If you're planning on sponsoring him to live in Canada permanently as a Permanent Resident and eventually, a citizen... marriage is the best course. You can apply as common law if you guys can live together at the same address for 12 months, but it's more difficult, and a lot more paperwork.
My husband and I were only together for a short time before married, and our 5 year anniversary is next year. smile

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss

If you're planning on sponsoring him to live in Canada permanently as a Permanent Resident and eventually, a citizen... marriage is the best course. You can apply as common law if you guys can live together at the same address for 12 months, but it's more difficult, and a lot more paperwork.
My husband and I were only together for a short time before married, and our 5 year anniversary is next year. smile

That would be difficult for common law
He plans to come live up in Canada with in the next year or so but coming to visit me hopefully in June for my birthday so we can get married that week I suppose. I just know everyone except some of my friends will be freaking out on me since I'm only turning 20 but I know I want to spend the rest of my life with him that is for sure. Plus it would probably make things easier in generally on us...
This September is our 2 year anniversary. Plus I suppose once we live together for a while we can have more of "traditional" wedding like with some friends. I don't mind doing a court house wedding either since I didn't want really a big fancy wedding. Just a small one with some close friends.
That may work. If you get married in June, then he goes back home to the US you can file an outland sponsorship, like we did. It takes about a year I believe.
Here is a great forum that helped me during immigration:
Immigration Forum

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
That may work. If you get married in June, then he goes back home to the US you can file an outland sponsorship, like we did. It takes about a year I believe.

It takes a year to get our sponsorship approved?
DizzySnowFire
Sariss

It goes by 2 stages. First, they have to approve you as fit to be a sponsor. Looks like that takes about 2 months right now. Then, the second stage is approving him to be eligible to live here as a resident. According to their website, that takes about 15 months. So, potentially longer. sad
Though, when we were going through immigration, I think the average wait times were 13 months, but we got approved in 7.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss

It goes by 2 stages. First, they have to approve you as fit to be a sponsor. Looks like that takes about 2 months right now. Then, the second stage is approving him to be eligible to live here as a resident. According to their website, that takes about 15 months. So, potentially longer. sad
Though, when we were going through immigration, I think the average wait times were 13 months, but we got approved in 7.

What criteria to fit to be a sponsor? Do you have a link for that?
So it would fit in our timeline quite well since he will hopefully be up here in June or Aug for moving wise.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff