Welcome to Gaia! ::

DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
That may work. If you get married in June, then he goes back home to the US you can file an outland sponsorship, like we did. It takes about a year I believe.

It takes a year to get our sponsorship approved?

It goes by 2 stages. First, they have to approve you as fit to be a sponsor. Looks like that takes about 2 months right now. Then, the second stage is approving him to be eligible to live here as a resident. According to their website, that takes about 15 months. So, potentially longer. sad
Though, when we were going through immigration, I think the average wait times were 13 months, but we got approved in 7.

What criteria to fit to be a sponsor? Do you have a link for that?
So it would fit in our timeline quite well since he will hopefully be up here in June or Aug for moving wise.

There's really not a lot, thankfully.
Eligibility

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
That may work. If you get married in June, then he goes back home to the US you can file an outland sponsorship, like we did. It takes about a year I believe.

It goes by 2 stages. First, they have to approve you as fit to be a sponsor. Looks like that takes about 2 months right now. Then, the second stage is approving him to be eligible to live here as a resident. According to their website, that takes about 15 months. So, potentially longer. sad
Though, when we were going through immigration, I think the average wait times were 13 months, but we got approved in 7.

So it would fit in our timeline quite well since he will hopefully be up here in June or Aug for moving wise.

Eligibility

Would be on ODSP count as being on government support?
I mean I do have a job and everything...But I am on ODSP for school reasons
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss

Eligibility

ODSP won't affect you. If you are on government assistance for reasons other than a disability, you wouldn't be able to sponsor - but ODSP doesn't count. smile

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss

Eligibility

ODSP won't affect you. If you are on government assistance for reasons other than a disability, you wouldn't be able to sponsor - but ODSP doesn't count. smile

Oh phew
I was worried about that.
I mean I might go on ODSP but that because I'm in a way disable in some sense since I have mental illness and I now have a chronic illness
You're safe! smile

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
You're safe! smile

Yay!
How much does it cost to get married in Ontario?
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
You're safe! smile

Yay!

We did a super cheap ceremony with about 80 people. It cost about $5,000.
But if you just go to town Hall to get married, you need to get a marriage license from town hall. Once you get the license, you have 3 months to get married.
The cost of one of these varies town by town. Where I'm from (Collingwood), it cost $120 I believe.
I believe the cost of actually getting married varies too. Where I'm from, to get married at town hall it costs $225.
Then, you need to get your marriage certificate. That's around $20.

Just, for immigration purposes, if you just go to town hall to get married, be prepared to explain on your application why you chose this way. Remember, they want to make sure you have a genuine relationship so they wonder why you don't have the traditional ceremony.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
You're safe! smile

Yay!

But if you just go to town Hall to get married, you need to get a marriage license from town hall. Once you get the license, you have 3 months to get married.
The cost of one of these varies town by town. Where I'm from (Collingwood), it cost $120 I believe.
I believe the cost of actually getting married varies too. Where I'm from, to get married at town hall it costs $225.

Just, for immigration purposes, if you just go to town hall to get married, be prepared to explain on your application why you chose this way. Remember, they want to make sure you have a genuine relationship so they wonder why you don't have the traditional ceremony.

We will do a ceremony later.
Do we both have to be there to get a marriage license or can I just go to get one for us then we can get married when he comes up? Or can we get married on the same day or day after we get our license?
I'm guessing to make the immigration purposes easier on us wouldn't be genuine enough?
Would it help if he had a receipt showing he had bought me a ring 2013 Christmas be good proof?
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
You're safe! smile

Yay!

Do we both have to be there to get a marriage license or can I just go to get one for us then we can get married when he comes up? Or can we get married on the same day or day after we get our license?
I'm guessing to make the immigration purposes easier on us wouldn't be genuine enough?
Would it help if he had a receipt showing he had bought me a ring 2013 Christmas be good proof?

You guys both need to be there to get the license.
You MAY be able to do it the same day - you could call ahead and ask. You may have to wait a few days, I'm not sure.
The chances of immigration denying an American Citizen are pretty slim because marriage fraud isn't very big there, but they still like to nitpick. smile

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
You're safe! smile

Yay!

You MAY be able to do it the same day - you could call ahead and ask. You may have to wait a few days, I'm not sure.
The chances of immigration denying an American Citizen are pretty slim because marriage fraud isn't very big there, but they still like to nitpick. smile

So the day he comes up here or the first weekday he is here we will go get a marriage license then maybe get married on that same day or at least that same week.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss
You're safe! smile

Yay!

So the day he comes up here or the first weekday he is here we will go get a marriage license then maybe get married on that same day or at least that same week.

Also, I looked up how much it cost for Belleville and it's 125 for a license but I'm getting kinda confused on the Marriage Certificate part
Te marriage certificate is something you apply for after you've gotten married. It's basically the proof you're married.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
Te marriage certificate is something you apply for after you've gotten married. It's basically the proof you're married.

Oh so he doesn't have to be here to get the certificate exactly?
Like we can mail in our proof then I'll have them ship it to my address and it will be proof that we are married?
Also, do we have to wait for sponsorship after we receive the marriage certificate?
DizzySnowFire
Sariss

Like we can mail in our proof then I'll have them ship it to my address and it will be proof that we are married?
Also, do we have to wait for sponsorship after we receive the marriage certificate?

He won't need to be there to get the certificate, I believe.
You will need the certificate to apply for sponsorship.
If you're super serious about all of this, I'd suggest visiting that forum I posted earlier - they are so knowledgeable!

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sariss
DizzySnowFire
Sariss

He won't need to be there to get the certificate, I believe.
You will need the certificate to apply for sponsorship.
If you're super serious about all of this, I'd suggest visiting that forum I posted earlier - they are so knowledgeable!

Okay,
This is all so exciting now!
I can't believe I'm possibly to get be getting married this June

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out