Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
What...?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

I feel that the opposite is true-- if you're not ready to get married, you're not ready to have a baby, but that's sort of obvious.

If people have been dating quite a long time, and love each other, I don't see why they shouldn't get married. Getting married doesn't cost like a child.

Like me and my boyfriend have dated nearly six years. We've lived together for three, and have no serious problems. Sure, we'll bicker occasionally, but people do that. We could get married. I'm still in college, and we live comfortably, not luxuriously-- but we're definitely not ready to have a child. I couldn't afford that yet, not until I'm done with school.

I don't see what the financial ability has to do with getting married, though.
I don't believe that's correct.
There are some people who never want to have children, this doesn't mean they're immature, or unstable.
There are more people who have babies that aren't ready for them.
It's a thoughtless opinion, at best.

Hallowed Wench

Since I'm sterile, does that mean I'll never be ready for marriage using that saying's logic?
The Earth King

I think having a child is a bigger commitment than getting married. Personally, I think it would make even more sense the other way around.

The Committee Staff Member

I believe a better quote would be:

"If you're unable to support yourself, then you're in no position to support others." -Me

I don't mean as in supporting people in society or whatever. I'm talking about supporting your mate or spouse. Worry about yourself first, then those who you love next.

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
I don't agree with it. It's too old fashioned, steeped in the old idea of waiting till you're married to have sex and thus children.
Not entirely true at all, but smart for a lot of people. Marrage has nothing to do with children. Marrage is strictly a time in life when two people feel as though their feelings go deeper than a mutual attraction, and into a psychic, emotional, sexual, and soul bond called love. For example, I am sixteen and if I were to accidentally inpregnate someone, that does tie me to that person for life, as parents, not as her husband. Unless of course we share that special and intimate bond.

Liberal Receiver

What about gays?
EDIT: Or people that just don't want kids.

Lonely Noob

Captain Jailbait
No, plenty of people will never be ready to have children, since they don't want children. Marriage =/= babies.
i love your new hair. you look so pretty. like a pretty thing. very pretty. pretty pretty.

Greedy Receiver

Eh. No. I don't really agree. Having a child cannot really be compared to getting married.

To have a child, you need to be financially, emotionally and mentally willing and ready to care for this new being and to put them above everything else. There are specific necessities you need to have and need to know before you should have a child.

To get married, you are not required to be financially ready as uniting each other does not cost you money every other day. It is best to be mentally and emotionally ready, but these things can be met by understanding one another and communicating your feelings. You know eaxh other already and can choose to make that next step.

Nothing really changes after getting married. After I got married, nothing much changed other than my last name and our credits combining.

Having a child, EVERYTHING changes.

happymoogle's Waifu

IRL Waffles

No, I do not.
I thought people got married because they loved eachother.
I guess the definition changed. .-.

Greedy Receiver

Robotic Sour Romance
No, I do not.

If it's a real quote, I'm suspecting it's an old one from the old traditionally viewed days.

happymoogle's Waifu

IRL Waffles

Eisefin
Robotic Sour Romance
No, I do not.

If it's a real quote, I'm suspecting it's an old one from the old traditionally viewed days.

I guess so. xD

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Yah no. My boyfriend and I have decided to not have children until certain things are set out such as school being done with, our careers set into place, and we own a home. He wants to get married before we have kids but that's for legal issues.
However, the way we are right now, the only thing that separates us from being married is a piece of paper. We are just as committed to each other as we would be if we were married and have lived together for 3 years now. We won't have kids for another 8-10 years, but we can get married at the courthouse tomorrow and be just fine. Children and marriage aren't the same things.

Friendly Gawker

So going by that quote, I'll never get married. Suits me just fine.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff