Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
Wacko Quacko
...get married."

How do you feel about this quote?

It kinda makes sense to me because I think it's better to wait till you've both been dating for a long while, have a career, both emotionally and financially stable and so on. But then there's people who never want kids (but they may be "ready" under those terms.)

I don't really see it that way. One doesn't always have to go with the other. There are plenty of people that are ready for marriage, but never plan on having kids, or plan on having kids several years into their marriage. Usually, in this latter case, it's because they want to achieve a certain level of stability in the marriage, perhaps even fiancially.

The reverse also holds true. There are people who are ready to have kids, but never plan on tying the knot. Marriage isn't for everyone. A common law couple os just as legitimate as a married couple, once they've lived together long enough.

*Shrug*

In my case, marriage is around the corner, and it's been a long time coming. I've been engaged for the majority of my seven years with my fiance. Basically, he was making a commitment to me. From there, we didn't rush into marriage. For some reason, our desire for a child over-rode marriage, at one time. Finances have had a lot to do with that, as well. There were times we talked about making it official, but other priorities required our attention.

The cute thing is, my daughter can be the flower girl when it happens.
By that logic I should be married about now.

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
WinoMeishuSlutfoxHoon
By that logic I should be married about now.

Qft. smile

My mom didn't get married until I was ten-and I have a brother who is nine years older than me. So she waited a long time to commit. Given the fact that my brother's dad was a psychologically abusive b*****d, and my biological was cheating on his wife with my mom, this was understandable.

If I had that bad of a streak in my romantic endeavours, I'd hesitate on commitment, too.

(I bet you're a better mother without your ex, anyway).
The LDs Juxtaposed
I don't really like the quote but there are tons of people who rush into marriage for unknown reason.
Agreed..

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
Captain Jailbait
No, plenty of people will never be ready to have children, since they don't want children. Marriage =/= babies.
Just Another Face -GM-
Most people who say s**t like that are trying to inflate the value of their parenthood, and discredit those who choose not to have children.

******** seems so.
inviso87
I disagree with the quote. Marriage isn't solely about kids. And kids aren't solely about marriage.
Marriage is not about having babies, it's about solely the relationship between two people. Whoever put babies in the equation of what a marriage is is a ******** individual.
Lexia_Starr
I think one's willingness to procreate has jack s**t to do with anything but procreation. People who say that someone has no business having sex or getting married if they don't want or aren't ready for kids are just plain morons. Popping out babies is not the definition of life. We're not Tsetse flies.
AMEN SISTA.

xe brat prince's Partner

Friendly Conversationalist

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
Ossoofoo
I think it should be "...have sex", which married couples do participate in. If a married couple would not like to have children, the best way to go about that would be to practice abstinence.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Lupina Blackwing
Ossoofoo
I think it should be "...have sex", which married couples do participate in. If a married couple would not like to have children, the best way to go about that would be to practice abstinence.

Are you saying that statistically abstinence is not the best option from having children? Because you would be wrong.

Salyana's Wife

Loving Lover

Marriage has changed significantly over the past 100 or so years. It's fair to say that the diversity among those who are married are so great, that this could not apply seamlessly.
For some that quote might be true.

xe brat prince's Partner

Friendly Conversationalist

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
Ossoofoo
Lupina Blackwing
Ossoofoo

Are you saying that statistically abstinence is not the best option from having children? Because you would be wrong.
I'm saying abstinence is not practical. Sure, it works, but we are sexual beings. Abstinence is not going to happen.

Komitkid's Wife

Well I mean, not everyone has to have kids... the world is over populated already. so why is that quote promoting that? O .o

This sounds better.
If you are grown enough to have sex, be grown enough to handle the consequences that can come with it.

Obsessive Cultist

Wacko Quacko
...get married."

How do you feel about this quote?

It kinda makes sense to me because I think it's better to wait till you've both been dating for a long while, have a career, both emotionally and financially stable and so on. But then there's people who never want kids (but they may be "ready" under those terms.)

Being Married does not equate to Babies at all. I was married when I was 18 (200 cool and we've always been stable and happy. Children are a whole different ballpark on the milestone markers of life and not many people will ever be TRULY ready for children.

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Like Jailbait said, marriage =/= children.

You can get married and not have children, or you can have children and not get married.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff