Welcome to Gaia! ::

Marriage does not equal babies. One of my best friends is getting married, and they are not planning on having a kid for a few/several years.

Rainbow Ladykiller

Reverse it and it would make more sense
I find it false, I know lots of people who are married and are waiting on having those things

Fashionable Sex Symbol

13,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
The Earth King
            x
            I think having a child is a bigger commitment than getting married. Personally, I think it would make even more sense the other way around.

I don't think I'll ever be ready to have a child. I don't have the nurturing nature in me (it hasn't shown itself anyway). But I'm definitely ready for marriage, even though I'm choosing to wait.

At least that quote is slightly less irritating than the "if you aren't ready to have a baby, you're not ready to have sex" variation.

You're so smart emotion_kirakira

Kliapatra's Partner In Crime

Beloved Bunny

16,075 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
Curious...
...since when does a legal paper make you pregnant?

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
What if I don't want kids? Marriage and children have nothing to do with one another. You can do both without the other.
I am not sure that I agree with the original post, but I do strongly belive that if you are not ready to have a child, you should not be having sex (at least for heterosexual couples).

Contraception is great, and is effective but can never be one hundred percent fool proof. The truth is, everytime a man and a woman have sex, they run the risk or chance of bringing a child into the world. You can lower that chance wit condoms, and pills abd shots and what not, but you can never completely prevent it. Sex equals babies. The idea that sex does NOT equal babies is irresponsible!

Rainbow Lover

Good rule of thumb. I'm not going to nit-pick all the blatant things wrong with it and the hundreds of exceptions. But it's a good rule of thumb I'll give it that much. If it applies to you it applies to you.

That is the absolute nicest thing I can possibly say about it.
I don't really see the point in getting married. If I want to spend my life with someone, I will. I don't need a ceremony, rings, or a certificate to prove that. If the person I'm spending my life with wants to get married, I have no issues with saying yes, I just don't think marriage is at all necessary.
Marriage is simply an option, just as having a child is an option. They do not have to be adjacent of each other if you don't want them to be.

Dangerous Rogue

AllThingsNew101
I am not sure that I agree with the original post, but I do strongly belive that if you are not ready to have a child, you should not be having sex (at least for heterosexual couples).

Contraception is great, and is effective but can never be one hundred percent fool proof. The truth is, everytime a man and a woman have sex, they run the risk or chance of bringing a child into the world. You can lower that chance wit condoms, and pills abd shots and what not, but you can never completely prevent it. Sex equals babies. The idea that sex does NOT equal babies is irresponsible!

Which is why we have abortion.

Sterilization would be nicer, but of course doctors like to throw their "everyone needs babies" morals at the childfree. Until they stop doing that, most childfree couples will turn to abortion in the case of oopsie, though they should, of course, protect themselves as well as they can first.

Expecting married couples to never have sex, even on their wedding night, if, say, the woman is tokophobic, or has horrible genetic disorders she does not want to pass on, or would be seriously injured or perhaps killed by pregnancy, is moronic at best.
Heck, or even just doesn't want to be pregnant just because. -shrug-

Do keep in mind that sex fosters pair bonds, reduces stress, and makes for happier people in general.
Demireius
AllThingsNew101

Which is why we have abortion.

Sterilization would be nicer, but of course doctors like to throw their "everyone needs babies" morals at the childfree. Until they stop doing that, most childfree couples will turn to abortion in the case of oopsie, though they should, of course, protect themselves as well as they can first.

Expecting married couples to never have sex, even on their wedding night, if, say, the woman is tokophobic, or has horrible genetic disorders she does not want to pass on, or would be seriously injured or perhaps killed by pregnancy, is moronic at best.
Heck, or even just doesn't want to be pregnant just because. -shrug-

Do keep in mind that sex fosters pair bonds, reduces stress, and makes for happier people in general.

To each his (or her) own I suppose!

Alien Cultist

21,775 Points
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Alien Invasion 50
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50

it's not the 50's anymore, the old views on marriage and having children have changed. it used to be a big deal to be pregnant but not married, now it's pretty common. besides why get married when most marriages end in divorce anyways? not everyone wants kids either.

Devoted Pirate

I think the quote is a steaming pile of horseshit. I am NEVER reading to have a baby, I am Childfree, why should that determine my marriage status. I have a wonderful husband who doesn't mind the whole Childfree thing too much.

Devoted Pirate

AllThingsNew101

I don't want kids, evar. Should I stay celibate?

Consent to sex, in this day and age, is not a consent to have a baby. Sex is not for procreation only.

Sex never has to equal a baby, as it was brought up earlier, that is why we have abortions.

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And here I thought people married for love (or political reasons), not to spew out puppies!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff