Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Gawker

...get married."

How do you feel about this quote?

It kinda makes sense to me because I think it's better to wait till you've both been dating for a long while, have a career, both emotionally and financially stable and so on. But then there's people who never want kids (but they may be "ready" under those terms.)
I don't really like the quote but there are tons of people who rush into marriage for unknown reason.
No, plenty of people will never be ready to have children, since they don't want children. Marriage =/= babies.
Wacko Quacko
...get married."

How do you feel about this quote?

It kinda makes sense to me because I think it's better to wait till you've both been dating for a long while, have a career, both emotionally and financially stable and so on. But then there's people who never want kids (but they may be "ready" under those terms.)

Disagree completely. My girlfriend and I want to get married soon, we don't want a baby for at least seven years.

Why the hell would we not be ready for marriage just because we don't want a baby yet? : /

We've been dating nearly five years, and we want to get married, but we still don't want kids yet.

King Cutie-Pie

x
            I think having a child is a bigger commitment than getting married. Personally, I think it would make even more sense the other way around.

I don't think I'll ever be ready to have a child. I don't have the nurturing nature in me (it hasn't shown itself anyway). But I'm definitely ready for marriage, even though I'm choosing to wait.

At least that quote is slightly less irritating than the "if you aren't ready to have a baby, you're not ready to have sex" variation.
I know a lot of people that wouldn't apply to. It makes it sound like the only reason to get married is to have kids.

Lonely Prophet

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • First step to fame 200
Most people who say s**t like that are trying to inflate the value of their parenthood, and discredit those who choose not to have children.

Shameless Grabber

14,775 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
I disagree with the quote. Marriage isn't solely about kids. And kids aren't solely about marriage.

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

Disagree.
Those things aren't necessarily related to each other.

Chatty Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
So people shouldn't get married if they aren't ready for children? That doesn't make sense to me. I know I'm not going to want children until at least my late 20's- early 30's, so why should that stop me from marrying the person I want to spend my life with in the meantime? The two don't correlate with me.
My aunt was in a happy marriage long before babies were involved.

MrMephist0's Waifu

Fashionable Lunatic

I think one's willingness to procreate has jack s**t to do with anything but procreation. People who say that someone has no business having sex or getting married if they don't want or aren't ready for kids are just plain morons. Popping out babies is not the definition of life. We're not Tsetse flies.
That would be saying that married couples who don't want children shouldn't be married.
I would say that marriage is just a way of further validating one's relationship. Having kids is something entirely different.

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I think that's one of the stupidest things I've heard of. What do kids have to do with marriage?

I was kind of expecting this to be an abstinence thread.
i've never heard this before. Is this the newest anti-gay marriage arguement?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff