Welcome to Gaia! ::

When I say dumbing down video games, i'm talking about how video game developers are seemingly afraid to make a game too difficult to make it more attractive to casual gamers.

I would like to bring to light :
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

First off I would like to say:
-I loved this video game
-I would like a intellectual conversation about this topic
-Don't flame me for my opinion (but we can debate)

Now I haven't played this game in awhile but I don't remember it being difficult which is the feeling I usually associate with the LoZ series, especially OoT and Majora's Mask. The game was easy to play through, no mind blowing puzzles, pretty good graphics, and that was it. I just can't seem to shake the feelings that nintendo seemed to dumb it down for everyone else without giving some service to "hardcore" gamers (and no, collecting all the bugs doesnt count)

Discuss:
-Other games being dumbed down
-LoZ Series
-Sandviches omnomnomnom
usually there is only 1 puzzle that has a difficulty for me in each LoZ game, but i get past it eventually.

Dangerous Genius

Hardcore doesn't exist.

That said, difficulty is up to interpretation. Do you consider the Gamecube version of the OoT game more difficult? I find it easier.

Blessed Friend

Chaos Dirge
Hardcore doesn't exist.
Chaos Dirge
Hardcore doesn't exist.

That said, difficulty is up to interpretation. Do you consider the Gamecube version of the OoT game more difficult? I find it easier.

Well can you please define your definition of hardcore to me and why you don't think it exists?

Because I believe someone who can play a game like Battletoads all the way through or IWBTG on a timed run or someone who has played every game on the highest difficulty to be a "hardcore" gamer, but y'know thats just my opinion.
I don't know, I found the Cave of Ordeals MUCH harder than anything in Ocarina or Majora's Mask.

Though I agree; my friends and I were lamenting how we now are horrible at games we played (and beat) as kids because we're used to more modern games. E.G. My one friend is just short of being able to play Halo professionally got his butt kicked in Lion King for Sega Genesis.

I guess making the games easier increased the number of customers or something.

IRL Exhibitionist

11,300 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Chaos Dirge
Hardcore doesn't exist.

Nope, I found it to be equally as boringyou've just been trolled[>_<]

I'm not a big fan of many of these newer games. Most do not present a adequate challenge. The only way for them to be...."difficult" is if there is a flaw in them, be it camera issues or control problems. I beat Ghostbusters in a few days and I thought it was going to be longer. Hell, there is a part in the graveyard that's twice as challenging than the rest of the game AND the end boss put together.
Novemberists
Chaos Dirge
Hardcore doesn't exist.

Please explain why

Blessed Friend

Hardcore in general doesn't exist. The term itself is a ridiculous title people use so they can make their E- p***s larger.

Dapper Grabber

Well, consider this. Some of us supposed 'hardcore' gamers were young(ish) when OoT came out, and the puzzles in that game seemed hard, if not downright cruel. Water Temple comes to mind.

Now that I'm older, I decided to check back and replayed LoZ:OoT, and I breezed through that Water Temple. Now, was it because with a more practiced mind (and many years of video games) it seemed easier, or was it simply memories of playing that level over and over again that made it easier? ******** if I know.

Make a game too challenging and only a select few will want to deal with it (I Want to be That Guy, or something like that), but make it too simple and the supposed hardcore gamers will forever whine and b***h about it.

Personally, I play games just to play games. If I can't figure out a puzzle, it's called the internet. Having that, as opposed to strategy guides that did jack and s**t back then, helps a lot.

Seriously, who plays games just to have fun anymore? What's this hardcore crap?
how are they dumbing down zelda? all zelda games were always pretty easy

the only one that had a slightly higher difficulty were the handheld ones (minish cap)
The Enforcer666
Chaos Dirge
Hardcore doesn't exist.

Nope, I found it to be equally as boringyou've just been trolled[>_<]

I'm not a big fan of many of these newer games. Most do not present a adequate challenge. The only way for them to be...."difficult" is if there is a flaw in them, be it camera issues or control problems. I beat Ghostbusters in a few days and I thought it was going to be longer. Hell, there is a part in the graveyard that's twice as challenging than the rest of the game AND the end boss put together.

But there is a difference from difficult and just plain annoying, like I dont think just because the camera angle or targeting system so is incredibly stupid that the game should be considered difficult.

But I never played ghostbusters sweatdrop I'm really too much of a panzy when it comes to stuff like that.

Cute Hero

What? I found Twilight Princess to be too darned hard. I gave up one day and the disc is now collecting dust.
Novemberists
Hardcore in general doesn't exist. The term itself is a ridiculous title people use so they can make their E- p***s larger.

But I don't have a p***s... and I aspire to be a "hardcore" gamer.

But if not hardcore, what would you call someone who has the "talent" or ability to play video games well and in a large amount.
Inconspicuous Obviousness
Novemberists

But I don't have a p***s... and I aspire to be a "hardcore" gamer.

But if not hardcore, what would you call someone who has the "talent" or ability to play video games well and in a large amount.

a gamer?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces