Welcome to Gaia! ::

Has the guide been helpful to you/were you able to find what you were looking for?

Poll gold 0.25616311399444 25.6% [ 1382 ]
Yes 0.53178869323448 53.2% [ 2869 ]
No (feel free to post what/why) 0.013160333642261 1.3% [ 71 ]
I like turtles 0.13049119555144 13.0% [ 704 ]
Blue Bass 0.058387395736793 5.8% [ 315 ]
I have suggestions! (feel free to post) 0.010009267840593 1.0% [ 54 ]
Total Votes:[ 5395 ]

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I was wondering if it might be helpful to add images showing what the medium and large fish thresholds look like at each "lake"/relative to other things in the user interface. I'm having a hard time eyeballing the distance meter as it drops, and I'd like to have a better idea of what zone the hook is in when it snags a fish so I can be sure to drop anything found at under 65 feet. (Since I'm still a rudimentary fisherperson, the normal kind of filtering based on movement pattern/timing is beyond me.)
Is there any way to make a Big Mouth Bass'terds?

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Bra Size
Is there any way to make a Big Mouth Bass'terds?

Yes you can. You can make them by collecting 1000 Gray Stripers and then going to the Fishing Store, clicking the "Fish Exchange" and you can trade your 1000 Gray Stripers for 1 Big Mouth Bass'terd.

Benevolent Elder

Absolutely love this sticky! Thank you for compiling all this helpful information!
Gaidin

Um sir, the ones needed for the Candy Striper Crown is Royal Crown Red. smile

Gracious Lunatic

14,000 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Somebody Likes You 100
heart heart heart
fishin smile

Enduring Citizen

I've been thinking about whether or not it's worth using the standard version of a given rod when the upgrade is immediately available. I first had the idea when I put together the odds for specific bait types, with the casting distances of the rods. It's been established that the standard Strength Rod is "the only rod that can't hook a large fish", and lesser quality bait gives less chance of hooking one.
This got me thinking: When one's bait is degraded and one shifts one's fishing focus to dredging, is it more efficient (or faster) to dredge with F bait and a standard Strength Rod rather than the upgraded Strength Rod? I have yet to gather any evidence to support or disprove such a theory, but... Statistically speaking, however, the reduced casting distance of the standard version of the rod would theoretically allow for slightly faster fishing, simply due to the reduction in the amount of time the lure takes to come back in. The lines would be less forgiving, but one wouldn't be hooking anything particularly tough anyway.
So, can anyone support or disprove this theory? Or perhaps suggest another situation in which one should favor the non-upgraded version of a particular rod?

Gambino Cultist

13,900 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Champion 300
Trap Lover
I've been thinking about whether or not it's worth using the standard version of a given rod when the upgrade is immediately available. I first had the idea when I put together the odds for specific bait types, with the casting distances of the rods. It's been established that the standard Strength Rod is "the only rod that can't hook a large fish", and lesser quality bait gives less chance of hooking one.
This got me thinking: When one's bait is degraded and one shifts one's fishing focus to dredging, is it more efficient (or faster) to dredge with F bait and a standard Strength Rod rather than the upgraded Strength Rod? I have yet to gather any evidence to support or disprove such a theory, but... Statistically speaking, however, the reduced casting distance of the standard version of the rod would theoretically allow for slightly faster fishing, simply due to the reduction in the amount of time the lure takes to come back in. The lines would be less forgiving, but one wouldn't be hooking anything particularly tough anyway.
So, can anyone support or disprove this theory? Or perhaps suggest another situation in which one should favor the non-upgraded version of a particular rod?

I like the way you are thinking, but wouldn't it be easier to use the upgraded rod and simply not cast it out all the way? This way If you are in a hurry you don't have to fight with smaller lines and can fish at your own pace.

Green Fairy

27,450 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Trap Lover

I don't know about the strength rod, because I had one for about a day before selling it, shortly after Fishing was introduced - I very quickly decided that it was not the rod for me. But your theory is definitely sound based on my experience with the Distance Rod Plus and the Basic Rod. (tl;dr ahead!)

Normally the Distance Rod Plus is my rod of choice - casting further, better chance of hooking a large fish than anything other than the Angelic Rods. But ever since I started chasing that Angelic Rod, I've set a daily quota for myself as far as how many buckets I want to do per day. It varies by day (and by lake) how much filtering I feel like doing, and some days I've just been extremely busy and want to pull in my buckets fast, regardless of how much trash I get. At some point it started annoying me how much time was wasted waiting for the bobber to come floating down that line from all the way out, only to hook trash anyway. So I started using my Basic, and this is what I found:

5 buckets of fish using the Distance Rod Plus at full casting distance: about 35-40 minutes.
5 buckets of fish using the Basic Rod at full casting distance: about 20-25 minutes.

I started off using A bait no matter what I was doing, for the chance of large fish among the smaller fish and trash. Then it occurred to me that the chance of getting large fish with the Basic Rod is fairly diminished, and I wasn't trying for large fish anyway, so I started trying other bait types too. D bait is fine; get more trash that way, but still plenty of fish. F bait, however, wasn't saving me any time because of how often I'd cast and hook nothing at all, so I'd have to cast again, completely wasting the time it took for that first cast to return.

So in summary yes: using a rod with a shorter casting distance will make for quicker buckets. But I'd recommend using D bait rather than F bait if you're really going for speed, to ensure that you actually do hook either fish or trash with a higher percentage of your casts. I'd actually been thinking over the last couple days about picking up a Strength Rod again for this reason alone. wink

Green Fairy

27,450 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Sir Zoid
Trap Lover

I like the way you are thinking, but wouldn't it be easier to use the upgraded rod and simply not cast it out all the way? This way If you are in a hurry you don't have to fight with smaller lines and can fish at your own pace.

I actually tried that before my experiments as described in the above post. I found it REALLY hard to not cast all the way out, because I was so used to the rhythm of a full cast. razz But yeah, it does save time in approximately the same manner. In my case, it was easier to use the standard rhythm of a full cast than to try to remember every time to click at a different time, so I was glad I still had my Basic Rod around.

Enduring Citizen

Sir Zoid
Trap Lover

The feeling is mutual. heart
However, I actually find it rather difficult to not cast the full distance (with any rod). Fighting with the smaller center is often easier for me than distance regulating.

Enduring Citizen

Avendasora
Trap Lover

I don't know about the strength rod, because I had one for about a day before selling it, shortly after Fishing was introduced - I very quickly decided that it was not the rod for me. But your theory is definitely sound based on my experience with the Distance Rod Plus and the Basic Rod. (tl;dr ahead!)

Normally the Distance Rod Plus is my rod of choice - casting further, better chance of hooking a large fish than anything other than the Angelic Rods. But ever since I started chasing that Angelic Rod, I've set a daily quota for myself as far as how many buckets I want to do per day. It varies by day (and by lake) how much filtering I feel like doing, and some days I've just been extremely busy and want to pull in my buckets fast, regardless of how much trash I get. At some point it started annoying me how much time was wasted waiting for the bobber to come floating down that line from all the way out, only to hook trash anyway. So I started using my Basic, and this is what I found:

5 buckets of fish using the Distance Rod Plus at full casting distance: about 35-40 minutes.
5 buckets of fish using the Basic Rod at full casting distance: about 20-25 minutes.

I started off using A bait no matter what I was doing, for the chance of large fish among the smaller fish and trash. Then it occurred to me that the chance of getting large fish with the Basic Rod is fairly diminished, and I wasn't trying for large fish anyway, so I started trying other bait types too. D bait is fine; get more trash that way, but still plenty of fish. F bait, however, wasn't saving me any time because of how often I'd cast and hook nothing at all, so I'd have to cast again, completely wasting the time it took for that first cast to return.

So in summary yes: using a rod with a shorter casting distance will make for quicker buckets. But I'd recommend using D bait rather than F bait if you're really going for speed, to ensure that you actually do hook either fish or trash with a higher percentage of your casts. I'd actually been thinking over the last couple days about picking up a Strength Rod again for this reason alone. wink
Indeed, casting and not hooking anything at all is just as frustrating as losing a fish.
Coincidentally I have been using D bait rather than F bait, simply because I tend to get plenty of the former from daily chance. Now that you mention it, it's definitely worth using the more expensive bait if it means fewer no-hook casts. I might even go with A bait if I exhaust my supply of D bait.

Green Fairy

27,450 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Trap Lover
Avendasora
Trap Lover

Indeed, casting and not hooking anything at all is just as frustrating as losing a fish.
Coincidentally I have been using D bait rather than F bait, simply because I tend to get plenty of the former from daily chance. Now that you mention it, it's definitely worth using the more expensive bait if it means fewer no-hook casts. I might even go with A bait if I exhaust my supply of D bait.

Ha, yes - I was trying to teach my girlfriend to fish the other day, and was like "First we need to get you some F bait - why do you have all this D and A?" And she said she's never bought any bait at all - she just keeps getting it in daily chance. XD So she resisted my efforts to teach her about bait degradation, because it would mean spending money on lousy bait when she had plenty of good bait... she had a point. wink

And I think I hate returners (that's what I call them; is there an accepted term among the Gaia fishing in-crowd?) even more than hooking trash. Nothing good about it from any angle, just wasted time.

Fashionable Gaian

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/mini-shops/fish-counting-method-guide-5k/t.86040917/

I saw this awhile ago, anyone knows if this is actually legit? Cuz it looks kinda fishy o.o

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff