Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Vampire

wonderfinch
Niede
wonderfinch
Anabaena
So.. the general consensus is that I'm old? emo

When I started in '07 people were offended when I used the term 'oldbies' for pretty much anyone who was on here longer than I was. They 'kindly' pointed out to me that the term 'oldbie' only counted for those from '03 or '04.. xd

Oh, how times change X'D I remember someone told me in '06 or '07 that the term "oldbie" only applied to people who had joined in '03.

Little known fact: Those from 03 may also shake canes at you and yell for you to get off their lawn.

Sad but true story: in '06, someone who had joined in '03 was reminiscing about the personals. I popped into the thread and made some comment about how I didn't miss the feature and thought it was dumb. They started chewing me out for being a "lowly '04 user" and saying I "couldn't possibly understand" since I hadn't been able to "fully experience the personals" before they closed. I didn't realize that it took a year of experience with that silly feature to truly ~*experience*~ it stressed

There are people that are obsessive over the age of an account, it's strange, really.
Also the personals thing was really not that great.
I remember stories of people being stalked by someone they talked to on it.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Niede
There are people that are obsessive over the age of an account, it's strange, really.

Agreed, it's a little bizarre. Unless someone else mentions it, I rarely if ever care, so the obsession mystifies me.

I was never stalked by anyone on the personals, but they were just stupid and kind of gross. I made a couple of platonic friends through them, but I think it would have been just as simple to go to forums and strike up conversations with people XD

Shirtless Vampire

wonderfinch
Niede

Agreed, it's a little bizarre. Unless someone else mentions it, I rarely if ever care, so the obsession mystifies me.

I was never stalked by anyone on the personals, but they were just stupid and kind of gross. I made a couple of platonic friends through them, but I think it would have been just as simple to go to forums and strike up conversations with people XD

I just went around the forums and started conversations with whoever I felt like.
It was really easy, I went through a few threads before I made my home in the GCD.

Lavish Lunatic

wonderfinch
Anabaena
So.. the general consensus is that I'm old? emo

When I started in '07 people were offended when I used the term 'oldbies' for pretty much anyone who was on here longer than I was. They 'kindly' pointed out to me that the term 'oldbie' only counted for those from '03 or '04.. xd

Oh, how times change X'D I remember someone told me in '06 or '07 that the term "oldbie" only applied to people who had joined in '03.
Definitely, and the attitude change is also pretty big. I'm pretty sure nobody cares anymore if the term 'oldbie' is properly used.. emotion_dowant

Shy Gaian

GET YOUR

I joined in about the middle of '07. I consider it old, but I don't have the bragging rights like those from before '07!! I really wish I would have known about the site then, it seemed like it was SO much different.
I do think about the old days, since I did get to see the layout before the change (maybe a after I joined it changed.)

I remember just getting use to the layout of the site, and then BAM. I log on one more and everything was changed! emotion_donotwant I had to re-get use to the site all over again!

CRAYON

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
wow...just realized I've been on this site since 2005. I have spent 7 years on this site and I still don't consider myself an oldy.

Magical Kitten

I've been here since '05. Its kinda trippy to think that I'd be considered old by most standards. I still don't think of my account as old, the 7ish years I've been here seems to be condensed into about a year in my mind. Time is weird, man.

Wintur's Bestie

O.G. Gaian

With every year that passes by that adds on another year to call members "old." Perhaps we should give new terms to these accounts.

03 - 04 ANCIENT.
05 - 07 Old Age
08 - 11 Middle Age
12 - 13 New Age

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
How long have you been around on Gaia? Do you consider yourself "old"?
Too long. And yes.
What do you consider "old" in Gaian terms? Do you even have a specific cutoff?
Not really. Being old isn't a good thing.
Does the length of time someone's been on the site matter to you, or is their general personality and know-how more important?
Personality and know how. It actually kind of pisses me off when people are like "I'm from 05 so I know all this s**t yeah I'm OG boi!" dramallama

b***h. You don't even know what OG means. talk2hand

Nerd

I don't know I think anywhere over 5 years is pretty old for an online site.The attitude towards join dates has changed a lot over the years with so many people joining the site daily.But I guess it's always nice to look back

Shirtless Vampire

AKB0048
Too long. And yes.
What do you consider "old" in Gaian terms? Do you even have a specific cutoff?
Not really. Being old isn't a good thing.
Does the length of time someone's been on the site matter to you, or is their general personality and know-how more important?
Personality and know how. It actually kind of pisses me off when people are like "I'm from 05 so I know all this s**t yeah I'm OG boi!" dramallama

b***h. You don't even know what OG means. talk2hand

Please, I know all about OG Readmore!
User Image rofl
fish flu
i believe a year spent on an internet site is a loooooooooooong time, so yes, somebody who joined in 2007 can be considered an "old" gaian.

This. Time moves in strange ways on the Internet.

I'd say old is '06 (I'm an '07er). Maybe old is always going to be the year before you?

biggrin

Rainbow Worshipper

30,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I would say I'm almost old, if not old. (August '07)
- What do you consider "old" in Gaian terms? Do you even have a specific cutoff? I would say 2010 is where you are no longer "old." (less than three years about).
- Does the length of time someone's been on the site matter to you, or is their general personality and know-how more important?
Personality > time on Gaia; however it may have some impact on how I first judge them.

Cold Guardian

38,000 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Winged 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Cresandra
With every year that passes by that adds on another year to call members "old." Perhaps we should give new terms to these accounts.

03 - 04 ANCIENT.
05 - 07 Old Age
08 - 11 Middle Age
12 - 13 New Age

So by this I'd be middle aged, xd I joined in 08, I've been around the block as it were when it comes to Gaia, but I don't really qualify as being 'old' I think. Though I was 18...maybe 19 when I joined, it was my first semester of college actually and I just graduated with my degree back in May. This coming March will make 5 years for me on Gaia, that is quite a long while, to be on a website anyways.

In general I don't think it matters if you've been here from 03 or if you justed joined in 2011, just because you're from 03 doesn't mean you know anything better than someone who joined later, they could be just as active, if not more so.

I have a friend who joined in 05, lost that account and joined again in 07, but she still comes to me with questions sometimes, because I spend way more time on here now than she does.

age ≠ experence

Shirtless Vampire

VKiera
Cresandra

03 - 04 ANCIENT.
05 - 07 Old Age
08 - 11 Middle Age
12 - 13 New Age

So by this I'd be middle aged, xd I joined in 08, I've been around the block as it were when it comes to Gaia, but I don't really qualify as being 'old' I think. Though I was 18...maybe 19 when I joined, it was my first semester of college actually and I just graduated with my degree back in May. This coming March will make 5 years for me on Gaia, that is quite a long while, to be on a website anyways.

In general I don't think it matters if you've been here from 03 or if you justed joined in 2011, just because you're from 03 doesn't mean you know anything better than someone who joined later, they could be just as active, if not more so.

I have a friend who joined in 05, lost that account and joined again in 07, but she still comes to me with questions sometimes, because I spend way more time on here now than she does.

age ≠ experence

Also age =/= maturity
Look at me!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out