Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Noob

In northern and central Europe, the church chomped too much off our dignity and exposed itself as a scam to make money. The Czech Republic is an extreme example of this, where the Catholic church is seen as the religious equivalent of the Soviet Union. This is not without reason. The church in Europe enjoyed things like arbitrary fines for normal human behavior, getting into unnecessary wars and the Inquisition. Catholic Priest became a Halloween costume rather than a paid profession.

Fanatical Zealot

Cause we're sexy and we know it. talk2hand
I AM R U
Fermionic
It is the product of fleeing for religious freedom.

And yet didn't the founding fathers want secularism? That's kinda gone out the window...

Indeed, I'm sure the present state of affairs would fill them with consternation.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Fermionic
scacchic
Fermionic

But why didn't America become less devout the way Europe did? It's not like religious Europeans were fleeing atheist countries.

The founding principles of European countries are less often those of religious grounding.

Is that why church and state isn't separate in Europe?

Most nations do not, in Europe.

Also, they weren't founded by people who were seeking free practice of their religion, so the point is really moot.
forever_fears
Suicidesoldier#1

But not all Christians want to stone non-virginal brides. xp

I'm pretty sure the majority wouldn't approve of that.

Then the majority do not understand what God wants. Stoning non-virginal brides is very clearly a value copy-pasted from the bible.

Jesus said "he who is without sin cast the first stone."
Fermionic
God Emperor Akhenaton
Fermionic
scacchic
Fermionic

But why didn't America become less devout the way Europe did? It's not like religious Europeans were fleeing atheist countries.

The founding principles of European countries are less often those of religious grounding.

Also, they weren't founded by people who were seeking free practice of their religion, so the point is really moot.

Neither were the Americans. The Puritans were only one colony of people who settled in Massachusetts. They themselves were not religiously tolerant and more importantly, they did not contribute to the heavily religious tone that the US has. That happened in the 1920's.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Fermionic
God Emperor Akhenaton
Fermionic
scacchic
Fermionic

Neither were the Americans. The Puritans were only one colony of people who settled in Massachusetts. They themselves were not religiously tolerant and more importantly, they did not contribute to the heavily religious tone that the US has. That happened in the 1920's.

It actually annoys me when people act like religion is the only reason Europeans came here. Puritans had nothing to do with Virginia or New York.
We aren't. In France it is illegal to wear hijabs to public schools. America is very open to religion or non-religion.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Fermionic
I AM R U
Fermionic

And yet didn't the founding fathers want secularism? That's kinda gone out the window...

Indeed, I'm sure the present state of affairs would fill them with consternation.

I'm sure.
I AM R U
Fermionic
I AM R U
Fermionic

I'm sure.

Thoroughly so?

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Fermionic
I AM R U
Fermionic
I AM R U
Fermionic

I'm sure.

Thoroughly so?

I meant in a mildly sarcastic "Yep, chances are they're rolling in their graves along with early Republicans" kinda way...

Aged Lunatic

Heimdalr
In northern and central Europe, the church chomped too much off our dignity and exposed itself as a scam to make money. The Czech Republic is an extreme example of this, where the Catholic church is seen as the religious equivalent of the Soviet Union. This is not without reason. The church in Europe enjoyed things like arbitrary fines for normal human behavior, getting into unnecessary wars and the Inquisition. Catholic Priest became a Halloween costume rather than a paid profession.

And don't forget that delightful little period called the Reconquista! The era that made the Inquisition look rational and even tempered!
I AM R U
Fermionic
I AM R U
Fermionic
I AM R U
Fermionic

I'm sure.

Thoroughly so?

I meant in a mildly sarcastic "Yep, chances are they're rolling in their graves along with early Republicans" kinda way...

That indeed seems mild.
Europe had the French Revolution, North America didn't. After that there was no turning back.
Kaworu 17
Europe had the French Revolution, North America didn't. After that there was no turning back.

Thank goodness that the revolting French were confined only to Europe.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff