Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fire 0ak
scacchic
Fire 0ak
I think there's a lot more cultural diversity in Europe due to so many different countries and cultures being in close proximity with each other.

North America less culturally diverse than Europe? I've never heard that before.

They are both diverse, I was just saying that Europe is more diverse because there are so many countries within short distances of each other. So maybe that has a dramatic effect on the General outlook of the people living there.

Maybe so, but then Australia and New Zealand are also less religious than the U.S. but don't have the kind of diversity that you say Europe has.

Buggy Mage

scacchic
Fire 0ak
scacchic
Fire 0ak
I think there's a lot more cultural diversity in Europe due to so many different countries and cultures being in close proximity with each other.

North America less culturally diverse than Europe? I've never heard that before.

They are both diverse, I was just saying that Europe is more diverse because there are so many countries within short distances of each other. So maybe that has a dramatic effect on the General outlook of the people living there.

Maybe so, but then Australia and New Zealand are also less religious than the U.S. but don't have the kind of diversity that you say Europe has.

I was just hypothesizing. It could very easily be incorrect. My whole logic for stating it was that a more diverse culture is likely more open to different spiritual ideas. As for the United States, I think it could vary depending on region or political climate generally.
Steam Punk Adept
scacchic
other highly developed countries? I don't think it's because of the Puritans. Europe used to be very devout around the same time, but they've become lax. Why hasn't the U.S?

Please don't quote the OP. smile
Why hasn't the US become less devout? Because Republicans in congress, and in each state keep fighting to ensure that education never catches up to the rest of the world. The Uneducated are more likely to be religious. And Republicans in power want the masses to remain uneducated so that they can maintain their money and power and keep the masses beneath them.
Herp derp I need someone to point the finger at herpiddy derp derp.
Firstly is it.
and secondly if it is my suspect would be education.
Koalalion
Firstly is it.

Explain.
Fire 0ak
scacchic
Fire 0ak
scacchic
Fire 0ak

I was just hypothesizing. It could very easily be incorrect. My whole logic for stating it was that a more diverse culture is likely more open to different spiritual ideas. As for the United States, I think it could vary depending on region or political climate generally.

Actually Europe, New Zealand and Australia are fairly homogeneous compared to the US.

I still maintain that the biggest difference is for Europe, WW1 Knocked the religious faith out of them, and the ensuring chaos after it finished the job. Studies abound that point to this being the case. After WW1 religiosity in Europe went into free fall. After WW2 it hit the ground, and the Communists in the East buried it.

America hasn't had an actual bloody modern industrial war on its shores, for Americans, the idea that we are blessed by our faith is fairly strong. For most Europeans, the idea of a God could seem laughable after all that's happened.

Plus churches are less trusted in Europe in general.
scacchic
Koalalion
Firstly is it.

Explain.

The more educated you are, the more you comprehend what you don't know. God and the Cosmos being one of them.
scacchic
Koalalion
Firstly is it.

Explain.

Simple the above and, also people who are more educated are both less likely to be superstitious, they are more likely to consider scientific explanation and if you have a culture in which their is a high standard of education over successive generations you'd expect their to be a culture of for example critical thinking. Faith on the otherhand in my view seams to thrive more in the absense of understanding or critical thinking especially extreme faith.
Because I think the early days the US was colonized by those who left Europe because they thought Europe was becoming full of heathens and sinners. So we pretty much got Europe's religious extremes to colonize the US early on. So I guess it just hasn't left yet.
Kingstonalloy
Because I think the early days the US was colonized by those who left Europe because they thought Europe was becoming full of heathens and sinners. So we pretty much got Europe's religious extremes to colonize the US early on. So I guess it just hasn't left yet.

It's my understanding that they just went to Massachusetts. Not every colony was like that.
scacchic
Kingstonalloy

It's my understanding that they just went to Massachusetts. Not every colony was like that.

I'm sure they migrated and intermingled with each other. There's also Utah and Salt Lake City.

Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
I don't think it's religious as much as it's more extreme in their views. Even the US left-wingers are extreme by other countries' views who tend to be centrists. It seems more cultural and religious.
geminikitten
I don't think it's religious as much as it's more extreme in their views. Even the US left-wingers are extreme by other countries' views who tend to be centrists. It seems more cultural and religious.

actually even the u.s. left wing looks right wing by more centrist countries, that is because the u.s. is a bit to the right of the middle as opposed to the left.
strictly speaking you are thinking of countries with a narrower political spectrum xp essentially with a smaller standard deviation.

Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
Koalalion
geminikitten

actually even the u.s. left wing looks right wing by more centrist countries, that is because the u.s. is a bit to the right of the middle as opposed to the left.
strictly speaking you are thinking of countries with a narrower political spectrum xp essentially with a smaller standard deviation.

We do have far left and far right. I speak of more experience with Australian, German, Thai, Indonesian and Japanese politics (and if you want to count some of the Middle Eastern ones too) and a little bit of other countries.
Left wingers are seen more as liberal but too liberal. The problem most nations see is the extremism in itself rather than the views. We do see them as right wing in the sense that they are just as extreme.
scacchic
Fire 0ak
scacchic
Fire 0ak

one should factor in, the australian aborigines or native american which non compose at-least 2% of the population.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff