Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nematri
Makai447
Nematri
Reason number OMGZ I wanna b in ur storie!!!!!!!!!!!...you pester a writer to put a character "based on you" in their story.

Now, most of us writers, even if we're not professional, still nonetheless put a lot of time, effort, and care into our written work, trying our best to get it just how we want it. We're not going to bend the entire structure and cast of our works to insert a new main character, poorly designed by you, who doesn't even fit the setting.

To use an example, this happened to me on a site I used to be on years ago:

Random Girl: OMG hai. I like your art.
Me: Well, thanks.
Random Girl: So what are they, like fanfiction characters or something?
Me: No, they're original characters from a story.
RG: OMG! You're writing a story! How long is it?
Me: Errm...pretty long (I think I was onto the 2nd instalment by this stage.)
RG: Ooooo! Wow! Can you make a new character for me? I want to be in your story!!!!
Me: Erm...what?
RG: Oooooo! I want her to be the girlfriend of that hawt guy character you had in your drawing! And I want her to meet him by walking in on him in the shower and he gets embarrassed!
Me: No offense, but my story has a full cast of characters.
RG: But you can change it! I want her to be half-demon! And have pink hair! And half-yellow, half-red eyes! And she dresses sexy! And I want her name to be Sheria.
Me: *Sarcastically* And this character's meant to represent you, is she?
RG: Yeah, totally! Can you give her some cool scenes where she kicks loads of a**? Because she's got demon blood, she's got neat powers which she can use to save the day!

At this point, I realise I should never have humoured her by replying to her "I like your art" comment, because now my brain is hurting.

^^How many other people do you think she asked the same question? That's kinda crazy right there. I might have informed her that her half yellow eyes will clash horribly with her pink hair, and her neat powers would tear her clothes off and she'd be increadibly nakid.

Yeah, lots of people posting in the wrong place lately. I agree.

Heh. I wish I'd thoughta that. I did do her an incredibly half-assed doodle of the character she'd requested just to shut her up. But near enough every day she'd private-message me asking "have you brought my character into the story yet? I want her to do this, this and this!" Every day my answer would be "...no."

People like that actually exist? Wow, either I'm completely oblivious (which I am), really lucky, or generally not someone people want to bother. For you I am deeply sorry.

Notice to anyone who's ever felt the inclination to do anything semi-resembling the aforementioned conversation: Don't, or I will lose most respect I could ever have had for your IQ.

Am I the only one that feels like some of the topics here are also completely random? I mean, some things I can see why people want to talk about, but other things I just wonder what relevance anything has to anything.
Makai447
Nematri
Makai447
Nematri
Reason number OMGZ I wanna b in ur storie!!!!!!!!!!!...you pester a writer to put a character "based on you" in their story.

Now, most of us writers, even if we're not professional, still nonetheless put a lot of time, effort, and care into our written work, trying our best to get it just how we want it. We're not going to bend the entire structure and cast of our works to insert a new main character, poorly designed by you, who doesn't even fit the setting.

RG: Ooooo! Wow! Can you make a new character for me? I want to be in your story!!!!
RG: Oooooo! I want her to be the girlfriend of that hawt guy character you had in your drawing! And I want her to meet him by walking in on him in the shower and he gets embarrassed!
RG: But you can change it! I want her to be half-demon! And have pink hair! And half-yellow, half-red eyes! And she dresses sexy! And I want her name to be Sheria.
RG: Yeah, totally! Can you give her some cool scenes where she kicks loads of a**? Because she's got demon blood, she's got neat powers which she can use to save the day!

At this point, I realise I should never have humoured her by replying to her "I like your art" comment, because now my brain is hurting.

^^How many other people do you think she asked the same question? That's kinda crazy right there. I might have informed her that her half yellow eyes will clash horribly with her pink hair, and her neat powers would tear her clothes off and she'd be increadibly nakid.

Heh. I wish I'd thoughta that. I did do her an incredibly half-assed doodle of the character she'd requested just to shut her up. But near enough every day she'd private-message me asking "have you brought my character into the story yet? I want her to do this, this and this!" Every day my answer would be "...no."

People like that actually exist? Wow, either I'm completely oblivious (which I am), really lucky, or generally not someone people want to bother. For you I am deeply sorry.

Notice to anyone who's ever felt the inclination to do anything semi-resembling the aforementioned conversation: Don't, or I will lose most respect I could ever have had for your IQ.

Am I the only one that feels like some of the topics here are also completely random? I mean, some things I can see why people want to talk about, but other things I just wonder what relevance anything has to anything.

Oh yes, they do exist. You're lucky...or I'm extremely unlucky.

And yes again...there have been two random posts asking people their opinion on the Beijing Olympics. Errrr...wrong forum much?
Nematri
Makai447
Nematri
Makai447
Nematri

Oh yes, they do exist. You're lucky...or I'm extremely unlucky.

And yes again...there have been two random posts asking people their opinion on the Beijing Olympics. Errrr...wrong forum much?
I generally go along and ignore half the threads in the forum's existance. There is some stupidity I just never feel like bothering with. And so it doesn't exist.
Makai447
I generally go along and ignore half the threads in the forum's existance. There is some stupidity I just never feel like bothering with. And so it doesn't exist.

^_^ I love your logic. I should bring it up in my philosphy class...
Has anyone written a character and then later discover you subconsciouly based it off your best friend?
Astrid-157
Makai447

Has anyone written a character and then later discover you subconsciouly based it off your best friend?

Not necessarily my best friend, but yeah, I sorta get that every once in a while.

Philosophy is fun. One of my friends will argue that nothing exists until you decide/admit that it does, but at that point you can never have it not exist again. (Much more complecated than that, but that's the gist of it. I'm pretty sure he's not being completely serious, but it's still entertaining.)
Makai447
Astrid-157
Makai447

Not necessarily my best friend, but yeah, I sorta get that every once in a while.

Philosophy is fun. One of my friends will argue that nothing exists until you decide/admit that it does, but at that point you can never have it not exist again. (Much more complecated than that, but that's the gist of it. I'm pretty sure he's not being completely serious, but it's still entertaining.)

....my brain just lost a bolt on that one.

Anywho, I have a feeling that one of my characters is based on one of my friends, but I don't know who. But if it fits with the story, it should be fine, right?
Astrid-157
Makai447
Astrid-157
Makai447

....my brain just lost a bolt on that one.

Anywho, I have a feeling that one of my characters is based on one of my friends, but I don't know who. But if it fits with the story, it should be fine, right?

He got the idea from this other guy who's name currently escapes me (philosopher type guy).

I think it's probably fine if your character fits your friends. Considering you didn't even do it on purpose you'd have plausable deniability if someone else came to the same conclusion, and chances are no one else will notice anyway. Since it fits with the story and you didn't try to force them in there, I think it's fine. I wouldn't tell your friend if you think it's her, because that could eventually lead to their pissed-offedness, but I wouldn't really worry about it.

Hallowed Phantom

Astrid-157
Makai447

From my post on the previous page:

Nightmare1
I have never had anyone request to be in my story, but my longest-known best friend sort of has a cameo in part of my main project. The character has her first name, and...tends to have rotten luck with her love life, which is also (sadly, and unintentionally) based on my friend. However, I felt if I showed my friend this work, she would not take offense to it. she and the character are different enough, and they have different kinds of love troubles.

The basings were unintended, especially the bit about a terrible love life (honestly. My friend went through about three or four bad boyfriends. Her current one seems okay, though). I guess my friend just lodged herself into my mind. My character even shares her first name.
Nightmare1
Astrid-157
Makai447

From my post on the previous page:

Nightmare1
I have never had anyone request to be in my story, but my longest-known best friend sort of has a cameo in part of my main project. The character has her first name, and...tends to have rotten luck with her love life, which is also (sadly, and unintentionally) based on my friend. However, I felt if I showed my friend this work, she would not take offense to it. she and the character are different enough, and they have different kinds of love troubles.

The basings were unintended, especially the bit about a terrible love life (honestly. My friend went through about three or four bad boyfriends. Her current one seems okay, though). I guess my friend just lodged herself into my mind. My character even shares her first name.

Oo, on the subject of characters who unintentionally seem like your friends...I created a character in 2003. In about 2005, I met my friend Natalie. After speaking her to about five minutes for the first time, I found it uncanny how much she reminded me of this character I invented. It was like she was an opposite-gender living incarnation of this fictional character of mine. We both found that immensely amusing.

Hallowed Phantom

I think you told me about that before, actually. ^^ Funny how things happen like that, no?
Yeah XD I think it's about the only time it's happened, though.
Spooky. eek

Oh yes, I found out who the character was, and the character only appears once or twice in my story. Oh well, my friend will never know. pirate

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Legal upbringing. Cheers, Nitemare.

Oooh, look new smilies: User Image User Image

It's Beatrix Potter's Birthday today, according to google.
Reason Number Criticize without being constructive

rruni1
Marcus Evans
Rhinua Spirit Of The Wolf
Marcus Evans
sillyblondekitten0916
"life is like a current and i forget the power the current controls in my wondering:'what if it never picks me up ?' "- that's sounds so stupid compared to what it was in my head i hate losing that train of thought where for a second your idea was itself and nothing else and perfect

You probably shouldn't have posted it, then. It's one of the farthest from "awsome" lines I've seen here, and that's saying a lot.

The least you could do is type it up well.

Though I do agree that it was a bit illiterate in writing, what you said was quite rude. Especially since you spelt awesome wrong -.-

I don't have to be nice, for one -- this isn't the fluffy bunny forum. And that's fortunate because I need to say this: "awsome" [sic] was in quotes for a reason; you are familiar with this phenomenon, yes? Look at the thread's title. Awesome is spelled incorrectly in it.

Whizzbang! Right over your head. Be more observant.

And here is where I come to notice that, whilst you're off dissing everyone else's lines; I haven't seen any of you're own...? Let's see what you've got.

Please. If you're going to criticize someone, be polite and add something constructive.
LeitaKree
Reason Number Criticize without being constructivePlease. If you're going to criticize someone, be polite and add something constructive.

Well, I didn't get my a** kicked, so....

Please. If you're going to criticize someone, think about what you're trying to say. Where does it say I must be "constructive"? And how to be constructive to someone who writes a piece of s**t line -- that she downright admits is, at that -- with complete disregard for spelling and grammar? And ********, why do I have to be what you decide is constructive? I am what I define to be constructive. Your standards are not universal.

She's lucky I was nice. You think half the regulars in the WF would have been as nice had she put that in a story and asked for separate criticism on it?

I don't have to sugarcoat anything for you or anyone else.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff