Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reason number Why'd you have to kill the kid?
In my books, the kids are usually the first to get whacked, mainly because they're stupid and/or don't listen to their parents. Like this one kid, Michel, who's only six years old, as cute as can be, and is forming a deep brotherly relationship with the MC (even though they're not brothers), drowns in a shallow creek because he was looking for his sister (who was supposed to be looking after him anyway).
I told one person this, and the response I get is, "What? How can you do that? That's terrible! The kid shouldn't die for no reason at all!"

Says I, "Do you have to have a reason for someone to die?"

Says she, "Well, in a book, yeah!"

I disagree, as you can see. Not only that, sometimes I get really attached to a character and suddenly I realize that his time is coming to an end. It sucks, but I gotta do it. I make the mistake of, "Damn, I don't really want to, but I have to" to which my mom replies, "You don't have to." Sigh, she'll never understand...
Reason number OMGZ I wanna b in ur storie!!!!!!!!!!!...you pester a writer to put a character "based on you" in their story.

Now, most of us writers, even if we're not professional, still nonetheless put a lot of time, effort, and care into our written work, trying our best to get it just how we want it. We're not going to bend the entire structure and cast of our works to insert a new main character, poorly designed by you, who doesn't even fit the setting.

To use an example, this happened to me on a site I used to be on years ago:

Random Girl: OMG hai. I like your art.
Me: Well, thanks.
Random Girl: So what are they, like fanfiction characters or something?
Me: No, they're original characters from a story.
RG: OMG! You're writing a story! How long is it?
Me: Errm...pretty long (I think I was onto the 2nd instalment by this stage.)
RG: Ooooo! Wow! Can you make a new character for me? I want to be in your story!!!!
Me: Erm...what?
RG: Oooooo! I want her to be the girlfriend of that hawt guy character you had in your drawing! And I want her to meet him by walking in on him in the shower and he gets embarrassed!
Me: No offense, but my story has a full cast of characters.
RG: But you can change it! I want her to be half-demon! And have pink hair! And half-yellow, half-red eyes! And she dresses sexy! And I want her name to be Sheria.
Me: *Sarcastically* And this character's meant to represent you, is she?
RG: Yeah, totally! Can you give her some cool scenes where she kicks loads of a**? Because she's got demon blood, she's got neat powers which she can use to save the day!

At this point, I realise I should never have humoured her by replying to her "I like your art" comment, because now my brain is hurting.
That's hysterical. whee
Luckily, no one's asked me if they want their representation in my book.
Astrid-157
That's hysterical. whee
A lot of my friends ask me that. I just name the character after them with no relation in terms of personality. They're like, "I wouldn't do that!" "Well," I says, "you've never worked for the police of FBI, and I didn't want you in my novel anyway."
[Nishin
Astrid-157
That's hysterical. whee
A lot of my friends ask me that. I just name the character after them with no relation in terms of personality. They're like, "I wouldn't do that!" "Well," I says, "you've never worked for the police of FBI, and I didn't want you in my novel anyway."

rofl That'll show 'em.
What really bugs me is when people tell me 'oh, I don't like this part in your book because it's too depressing/sick'. I'm sorry, people die in my stories, including children and animals. rolleyes
Astrid-157
[Nishin
Astrid-157
That's hysterical. whee

rofl That'll show 'em.
What really bugs me is when people tell me 'oh, I don't like this part in your book because it's too depressing/sick'. I'm sorry, people die in my stories, including children and animals. rolleyes
And I'm sorry all of my antagonists are seriously ******** up bastards who have shown homicidal tendencies since the dawn of their time, just enjoy killing, and/or want revenge because revenge is never too overrated, and some actually are rapists of children, teenage girls, and middle-aged women who can't get their personal lives together and (in some cases) wind up in a dumpster dead.

I apologize to the whole world on behalf of all my antagonits.
[Nishin
Astrid-157
[Nishin
Astrid-157
That's hysterical. whee

rofl That'll show 'em.
And I'm sorry all of my antagonists are seriously ******** up bastards who have shown homicidal tendencies since the dawn of their time, just enjoy killing, and/or want revenge because revenge is never too overrated, and some actually are rapists of children, teenage girls, and middle-aged women who can't get their personal lives together and (in some cases) wind up in a dumpster dead.

At the start of my novel my friends would sometimes ask to be put into it; I couldn't squeeze any of them into my first one, but worked them into the plots of subsequent books. If I get that far, that is. However, now that I've spent so much time tweaking the plots in my mind, changing characters' personalities (and names and appearances), and roles in the story, they bear absolutely no resemblence to them anymore.

For instance, Mitchell, my lovable gay friend who's always happy and peppy and wears stripy knee socks and has boyfriend troubles, turned into M'kyle, a bitter, desperate, lonely, rather hideous half-raven half-elf chimaera who thinks nothing of hunting down Fairies in order to hack off their wings for an ingredient in a spell that is supposed to turn himself back to "normal" (separate the raven and elf), but may not even work because it was an obscure spell found on the rotting pages of an ancient book in some dark recess of a hole, detailing how desperate and slightly insane he is.

Mitchell would probably cry if I told him what M'kyle (which didn't even start out as his name) had become.
Reason number "Just because the person seems strange and/or writes strange things, does not make them a troll"

Just because people write weird things, doesn't mean they're trolls. Maybe they just have different ideas about things. There are lots of weird writers, like Chuck Palahniuk, and I'm sure if he were here, people wouldn't automatically assume he's a troll, just because they know his name.

Some people here may not be well-known on Gaia, but well-known in their neighborhoods, and have quite a few fans who would hunt people down with pitchforks for even suggesting something ill about them.

And occasionally, the person who is assumed to be a troll by one person will forgive and forget, but usually the maligned individual will go on an a**-kicking rampage.

Hallowed Phantom

LeitaKree
[Nishin
Astrid-157
[Nishin
Astrid-157
That's hysterical. whee

rofl That'll show 'em.

At the start of my novel my friends would sometimes ask to be put into it; I couldn't squeeze any of them into my first one, but worked them into the plots of subsequent books. If I get that far, that is. However, now that I've spent so much time tweaking the plots in my mind, changing characters' personalities (and names and appearances), and roles in the story, they bear absolutely no resemblence to them anymore.

For instance, Mitchell, my lovable gay friend who's always happy and peppy and wears stripy knee socks and has boyfriend troubles, turned into M'kyle, a bitter, desperate, lonely, rather hideous half-raven half-elf chimaera who thinks nothing of hunting down Fairies in order to hack off their wings for an ingredient in a spell that is supposed to turn himself back to "normal" (separate the raven and elf), but may not even work because it was an obscure spell found on the rotting pages of an ancient book in some dark recess of a hole, detailing how desperate and slightly insane he is.

Mitchell would probably cry if I told him what M'kyle (which didn't even start out as his name) had become.

I had a friend of mine get upset with me because I killed off a character she liked (in a story that died a long, long time ago). She got over it, but I sort of feel bad for not finishing the story, because she liked it so much that she kept copies of my work, religiously read the updates I brought her, and even made a Neopets fanguild dedicated to it (hey, a fansite is a fansite. I am not complaining about the location). Unfortunately, I changed my protagonist too much to use her in that story, and it got put on hold, and eventually just died (I still have the plot map somewhere, though). I may go back to it at some point in my life. I know she still loves that particular genre of stories.

I have never had anyone request to be in my story, but my longest-known best friend sort of has a cameo in part of my main project. The character has her first name, and...tends to have rotten luck with her love life, which is also (sadly, and unintentionally) based on my friend. However, I felt if I showed my friend this work, she would not take offense to it. she and the character are different enough, and they have different kinds of love troubles.

Lyons: Agreed with you on that. I personally like reading threads where people ahve these insane ideas. At least I know there is a shot at something I have never seen before (like the person who had the idea to summon a demon and instead got a table lamp instead. Was that Reinna?).
Reason number fail-o-rama When criticised, you defend yourself by (intentionally or otherwise), playing up to the very thing people are criticising you on. Like that's really going to change people's opinions of you or get them to respect you or leave you alone. If you've been called "stupid", do you try to gain respect off the people who've called you stupid by acting even more stupid? Most people, I assume, would answer "no" to that question.

Just a second ago I came across this thread. http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/writers/my-newest-idea/t.42031721/

Let's see. You've been criticised on your poor spelling and grammar (a common criticism of bad posts in the writers' forum, where demanding people at least post correctly-spelled posts with decent grammar isn't an unreasonable request to make).

Your response to this is the following:

Quote:
u guess can all burn in hell!!! hey watch this im not going to use spell check because im a popular blound girl who makes fun of people like u!!!!

wat wtf omg ******** you all up the a**!!

I think that speaks for itself.

So what. You're popular, you're blonde. You make fun of "people like u!!!!!!" ...whatever that means, when you can't possibly know in person what the people who posted in your thread are like in real life.

It doesn't change the fact that your posts are nigh-unreadable, and your attitude to criticisms of your spelling on the internet is needlessly immature.

Go be popular and blonde and immaturely abusive somewhere else.

5,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
whining about one person's opinion

we've all had critiques or responses on our beloved expositions, etc. of which we...don't exactly approve.

guess what.

they're all from people who only hold opinions.

OPINION:
1 a: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b: approval, esteem
2 a: belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge
b: a generally held view

even if you pick an amazing contest to enter, knowing very well that you are the right writer for the competition, the chances of the judge's opinion of one read and your opinion of your own baby, which you have read and reread and rewritten and edited and fed and changed and cuddled, are not very high. Most of these competitions are not held by experts, anyway.

so some one either dislikes or can't comprehend your story.
big deal.
you can!
the point of writing is for enjoyment.

if you enjoy your own story, other people might. but the fact that they might not shouldn't drive you away, even if they express their hatred in some extravagant and completely thorough critique. Don't be upset about it; find a way to use it. And if you can't find a way to apply it in your writing, then it's just not your style.

don't let some stupid percentage, score, or letter grade get to your head.
Rule Number Whining Because OMGZ DEY TAWLD U ITZ DA RONG FOROOM!

There's been an over-population of n00bs in the WF, and even with all the combined forces of the regulars, there's just too many to handle. They ignore the stickies, they ignore all the other threads and make repeat threads, they post stories and crappy emo poems here, and then they have to audacity to do it all in chatspeak!

As most of us try to tell them kindly to move it to another forum, that's when they start calling us fags, nerds, and (you'll love this one) meanies. I'm in favor of cutting out the sugar-coating and just going straight to the "******** you. Wrong Forum."

P.S.
Most of this post was to revive an extremely helpful thread that will most likely not even be read by said people.
Memphis Cedars
Rule Number Whining Because OMGZ DEY TAWLD U ITZ DA RONG FOROOM!

There's been an over-population of n00bs in the WF, and even with all the combined forces of the regulars, there's just too many to handle. They ignore the stickies, they ignore all the other threads and make repeat threads, they post stories and crappy emo poems here, and then they have to audacity to do it all in chatspeak!

As most of us try to tell them kindly to move it to another forum, that's when they start calling us fags, nerds, and (you'll love this one) meanies. I'm in favor of cutting out the sugar-coating and just going straight to the "******** you. Wrong Forum."

P.S.
Most of this post was to revive an extremely helpful thread that will most likely not even be read by said people.

Is it just me or has there been a massive influx of said n00bs here in just the past couple of days?

I swear there were never this many mis-placed posts before.
Nematri
Reason number OMGZ I wanna b in ur storie!!!!!!!!!!!...you pester a writer to put a character "based on you" in their story.

Now, most of us writers, even if we're not professional, still nonetheless put a lot of time, effort, and care into our written work, trying our best to get it just how we want it. We're not going to bend the entire structure and cast of our works to insert a new main character, poorly designed by you, who doesn't even fit the setting.

RG: Ooooo! Wow! Can you make a new character for me? I want to be in your story!!!!
RG: Oooooo! I want her to be the girlfriend of that hawt guy character you had in your drawing! And I want her to meet him by walking in on him in the shower and he gets embarrassed!
RG: But you can change it! I want her to be half-demon! And have pink hair! And half-yellow, half-red eyes! And she dresses sexy! And I want her name to be Sheria.
RG: Yeah, totally! Can you give her some cool scenes where she kicks loads of a**? Because she's got demon blood, she's got neat powers which she can use to save the day!

At this point, I realise I should never have humoured her by replying to her "I like your art" comment, because now my brain is hurting.

^^How many other people do you think she asked the same question? That's kinda crazy right there. I might have informed her that her half yellow eyes will clash horribly with her pink hair, and her neat powers would tear her clothes off and she'd be increadibly nakid.

Yeah, lots of people posting in the wrong place lately. I agree.
Makai447
Nematri

^^How many other people do you think she asked the same question? That's kinda crazy right there. I might have informed her that her half yellow eyes will clash horribly with her pink hair, and her neat powers would tear her clothes off and she'd be increadibly nakid.

Yeah, lots of people posting in the wrong place lately. I agree.

Heh. I wish I'd thoughta that. I did do her an incredibly half-assed doodle of the character she'd requested just to shut her up. But near enough every day she'd private-message me asking "have you brought my character into the story yet? I want her to do this, this and this!" Every day my answer would be "...no."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff