Welcome to Gaia! ::

O.G. Gaian

ddamgaard
Looking for recommendations!
- I don't read a lot, but some books and genres seem to glue me to the pages!

I've enjoyed reading books such as:
Asylum and Sanctum by Madeleine Roux
Pulse and Graveyard shift by Stephen King
Bird Box by Josh Malerman (Yes, the book is better than the movie!)
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood
The Girl With All The Gifts by Mike Carey
The Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series by Ransom Riggs

Also a big fan of Creepy Pastas.

I assumes I'm looking for Psychological Horror, a Good Spook and an occasional Feeling of Disgust?

Hm... have you tried any Chuck Palahniuk? My friend's a big fan, and from her descriptions, it seems like you might be interested.

Is that the only Stephen King you've read? I'm not familiar with that one, how is it? Personally, my favorites of his have been Insomnia and The Stand, but Bag Of Bones, The Shining, and Carrie were also excellent! Cujo and Salem's Lot, though... meh. Campy at best.

There's a few Marion Zimmer Bradley novels you might be into; look for The Inheritor and/or Ghostlight -- they're both first in a series of four novels, but it's a total of seven books, not eight, because they converge, and it's the same book, Heartlight, that they both end on. And, of course, if you haven't read Mists of Avalon, give it a try and see if it pulls you in. Personally, I loved it, and was over the moon when I found there were a bunch of other titles in the series. My favorite of hers, though, is a stand-alone novel called The Firebrand. While Mists is a different take on Arthurian legends (and subsequent books in the series tie in various events in British history), Firebrand gives you Cassandra's perspective of The Illiad.

A couple other novels that re-imagine stories you may have heard before are Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by CS Lewis and Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton, and I highly, HIGHLY recommend both. 3nodding

Fashionable Fatcat

16,275 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Marathon 300
faolan
ddamgaard
Looking for recommendations!
- I don't read a lot, but some books and genres seem to glue me to the pages!

I've enjoyed reading books such as:
Asylum and Sanctum by Madeleine Roux
Pulse and Graveyard shift by Stephen King
Bird Box by Josh Malerman (Yes, the book is better than the movie!)
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood
The Girl With All The Gifts by Mike Carey
The Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series by Ransom Riggs

Also a big fan of Creepy Pastas.

I assumes I'm looking for Psychological Horror, a Good Spook and an occasional Feeling of Disgust?

Hm... have you tried any Chuck Palahniuk? My friend's a big fan, and from her descriptions, it seems like you might be interested.

Is that the only Stephen King you've read? I'm not familiar with that one, how is it? Personally, my favorites of his have been Insomnia and The Stand, but Bag Of Bones, The Shining, and Carrie were also excellent! Cujo and Salem's Lot, though... meh. Campy at best.

There's a few Marion Zimmer Bradley novels you might be into; look for The Inheritor and/or Ghostlight -- they're both first in a series of four novels, but it's a total of seven books, not eight, because they converge, and it's the same book, Heartlight, that they both end on. And, of course, if you haven't read Mists of Avalon, give it a try and see if it pulls you in. Personally, I loved it, and was over the moon when I found there were a bunch of other titles in the series. My favorite of hers, though, is a stand-alone novel called The Firebrand. While Mists is a different take on Arthurian legends (and subsequent books in the series tie in various events in British history), Firebrand gives you Cassandra's perspective of The Illiad.

A couple other novels that re-imagine stories you may have heard before are Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by CS Lewis and Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton, and I highly, HIGHLY recommend both. 3nodding

Thank you so much for the well thought-out reply!
I haven't read a lot of Stephen King as I prefer to read them in English and it's my second language, so some of his tales can be a bit hard to dig through, as his language varies a lot in my opinion xd
I will definitly look more into the other ones you suggest and read up on them online, then we'll see if some of it happens to fall into my amazon-basket!
Thank you once again!
Hi
I'm sort of looking for Western published books with this particular set-up

I'd like to read a poor to rich story where main character could possibly get revenge and/or become a celebrity of some sort... Can be rich company boss, idol, actor, streamer, gamer, chef, auction buyer, etc (I guess noble, royal works too ??)...

To add i love rom-com (so you can just suggest that if above scenario is too specific) Stories can be adult sexy with romance...
Stories can have fantasy or game element in them so if main character has cheat skill that's be nice too.

I also enjoy reading webnovels (I like top management, poten, solo leveling, youngest song of sunyang, fields of gold, I'm really a superstar, common sense of a Duke's daughter, artifact inspector) especially if there is second chance, transmigration, or time travel

Niroshan's Princess

Distinct Connoisseur

14,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
I like retelllings of fairytales so I like Kate Forsyth's books.
I'm looking for recommendations. I like to read horror, fantasy, scifi, and books about World War II.

Widower

5,400 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I recommend Castle in the Air by Diana Wayne Jones. She also wrote Howls Moving Castle, another great book. Honestly anything she wrote is a good time. I would also recommend Sabriel by Garth Nix.

Niroshan's Princess

Distinct Connoisseur

14,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
The Scent Keeper by Erica Bauermeister

Friendly Wolf

11,400 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I've been told to post here rolleyes

Does anyone have any recommendations for science fantasy books? smile

Wheezing Egg

BeamingSunlight
I'm looking for recommendations. I like to read horror, fantasy, scifi, and books about World War II.

i don't read too much horror, but these are a few i'd love to rec:
- mexican gothic by silvia moreno-garcia (goth horror; haunted house w/ freaky colonizer s**t)
- when no one is watching by alyssa cole (thriller horror; "get out" with more themes of gentrification)
- the only good indians by stephen graham jones (horror; blackfeet indigenous trying to survive and deal with intergenerational trauma)
- gideon the ninth by tamsyn muir (scifi, fantasy, horror; necromancer lesbians in space)

ok i read hella fantasy so i'm just gonna start popping names off the top of my head:
- fireheart tiger by aliette de bodard (100page sapphic pre-colonial vietnamese howl's moving castle meets goblin prince)
- the poppy war series by rf kuang (chinese military fantasy with a morally gray protag; i recommend this article before you dive in)
- the blood of stars duology by elizabeth lim (YA chinese mythological fantasy; mulan meets project runway meets "the cowherd and weaver girl" wink
- jade city by fonda lee (chinese crime syndicates with fantastical abilities vying for power)

ok that should be enough lmao sorry it got so long

Shy Decorator

I read "Warriors"! recommend it if you like cats, and battles! It also has A-M-A-Z-I-N-G grammar! I recommend it to your kids if theyre picky with books and love cats! biggrin
I've been not reading lately, but want to. I'd use my PC/desktop to read mainly so maybe like Kindle for PC.

So the genres I want to get recs on are...

- horror
- mystery and detective
- thriller
- fantasy
- young adult fiction
- true crime

Phantom

Any good cosmic horror books that aren’t lovecraft? :p

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff