- Posted: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:39:40 +0000
The Book Recommendation Thread
The Books Forum is overwhelmed by threads of 'recommend me a book!' and 'looking for a new book...' etc.
The idea is that I, and hopefully others, will hang around in this thread and if you want a book recommendation, you're looking for a new read, etc., you can come here, and we'll do our best to give you some good suggestions. That way, the rest of the forum can be filled with actual threads discussing texts (we can only hope).
You're also welcome to leave feedback on whether the recommendations you were given where what you were looking for or not.
1. Obey gaia TOS & the forum rules.
2. Play nice kiddies, I want no slagging matches over Twilight, or anything like that.
3. Don't recommend the same book to everyone. If one person says they want a romantic comedy and the next is looking for a horrific crime novel the same book is not going to please them both. If you can't recommend a book that you genuinely think they might like, leave it to someone else. Recommendations should not be a list of your favourite books.
4. By all means, disagree with someone's recommendations. If someone has recommended a book as a good horror novel, and you don't think it actually is a horror novel, you're welcome to say so, just keep it civil.
5. If you're here looking for a book recommendation, give us some hints on what kind of books you like, or what kind of genre you're after. The more info you give us, the more likely that our recommendations will be ones you like.
6. Please don't throw random recommendations out to no one in particular. In all likelihood all you're doing is listing your favourite book, there's a sticky for that. There is no way you can be sane and think that you can recommend the same book to absolutely everyone. Don't do it. O_o
7. Suggestions on how to improve the thread are welcome.
8. Anyone is welcome to recommend a book.