Third page is unacceptable.
that far down? yipes.

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200
live, curse you!
hey, does anybody know if theres a name for the "study of vampires." like the study of demons is demonology. but since vampires are often just considered demons would they fall into demonology or would they have their own, you know name of study.

oh and this thread is like perfection...........
I believe that the study of vampires could be considered demonology or cryptozoology. I don't believe that they have a specific name for the study of vampires.
Edit again: Some people have used "Vampiric Studies" or "Vampirology." These aren't "textbook" sources I don't think, but if it suits your purpose...

Edit:
This place needs an index. ninja

O.G. Elder

There's no specific study of vampires, but it would be considered a sub-category of cryptozoology, if we were to file it in one of those two categories, not demonology.

Vampires are not considered fiendish or demonic in nature, nor do they hail from any of the hellish levels of existence.

Most properly it's a segment of the study of Necromancy, the magical "science" of raising the dead.

Edit: AND I SWEAR I'M ALIVE. I just really fail at keeping this thread alive.
Black Gabriel
Vampires are not considered fiendish or demonic in nature, nor do they hail from any of the hellish levels of existence.

I think that depends where you are in the world. There are a few species of "vampire" that are in the folklore of Africa that are both fiendish and considered demonic. I suppose it also depends on your definition of "vampire."

O.G. Elder

w h o r e f a c t i o n
Black Gabriel

I think that depends where you are in the world. There are a few species of "vampire" that are in the folklore of Africa that are both fiendish and considered demonic. I suppose it also depends on your definition of "vampire."

If we're talking about the actual study, then vampire refers exclusively to the eastern European tradition, which led up to what we typically accept as vampires.

The creatures colloquially referred to as Chinese or African or what-ever ethnicity "vampires" all have their own names and traditions, and grouping them up under a common name is doing the mythology of that area a disservice, and won't get you very far in your study.
Black Gabriel
w h o r e f a c t i o n
Black Gabriel

If we're talking about the actual study, then vampire refers exclusively to the eastern European tradition, which led up to what we typically accept as vampires.

The creatures colloquially referred to as Chinese or African or what-ever ethnicity "vampires" all have their own names and traditions, and grouping them up under a common name is doing the mythology of that area a disservice, and won't get you very far in your study.

Exactly, which is why I feel that anyone and everyone should be careful in how wide a net they cast. With those types of limitations, the generalizations would make sense. Without, it does as much of a disservice to all the other regions of the world and the vampire lore found there. 'Sides -- vampire kiddies should get out more. There's tons of fish and the sea.
thank you.. i guess ill stick with demonology

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever heard of a creature with a manlike body, boar's head, and lizards that crawl in and out of its skin? (Sorry if the description is inaccurate. Those things are what I recall most but even then, they might be wrong...) For the life of me, I cannot remember the name nor the culture in which it originated, so it's sort of driving me insane.

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Superna Zherom

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever heard of a creature with a manlike body, boar's head, and lizards that crawl in and out of its skin? (Sorry if the description is inaccurate. Those things are what I recall most but even then, they might be wrong...) For the life of me, I cannot remember the name nor the culture in which it originated, so it's sort of driving me insane.
I'll see what I can do... search-fu!

...I'm not finding anything, which parts are probably the most accurate?
Deandriea
Superna Zherom

Hello.

Oh, thank you.

Hmm. I'd say being infested with lizards is the most accurate detail, since it's also what grabbed me by far.
Superna Zherom
Deandriea
Superna Zherom

Hello.

Oh, thank you.

Hmm. I'd say being infested with lizards is the most accurate detail, since it's also what grabbed me by far.

There is a dragon called Azhi Dahaki in Persian mythology who is infested with lizards. [1] [2] [3] [4]
AWESOME. This thread looks right up my alley, as my story is, as I like to call it "horror fantasy". Intended to be a hell of a lot scarier than the fantasy that's commonly out there, but still in a fantasy setting. I feel I have my work cut out for me, as the only author I've ever encountered to even get close to such a thing was Chris Wooding. So it looks like I'm on my own for inspiration.

Cryptozoology and occult are incredibly spiffy.
i have one more question, for now probably, but...

demonology is the study of demons and their powers, skills, and hierarchy. but it is also a branch of magic dealing with malevolent spirits, does anybody know where i can find a good amount of information on the latter.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff