Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yukamina
Okay, I have a couple questions. What could motivate someone to join a cult? What do people get out of that? What kind of 'profound' practices might a supernatural cult have?

Gabriel has most of it pretty much covered, but why not. biggrin

1.) What could motivate someone to join a cult?
A number of things really. Humans are naturally social animals and most tend seek groups. A lot of cults tend to focus on college campuses for recruiting because they are dealing with young, impressionable people who are free from home, desperate for friends, and open to new experiences. It's a soft sell sort of technique. Sometimes, it is simply the beliefs of the cult that lures people in or the lifestyle. A good example is Jim Jones, who promised a Utopian lifestyle to his followers... I cannot emphasize looking at Jim Jones enough...

2.) What do people get out of that?
It varies on the person. Depending upon the cult's belief, it can make them feel "free" from the normal laws of the land. Drugs are allowed for some religious activities, and we won't even go into the polygamist cults. They get acceptance from the group for believing whatever nonsense it is. Not to mention they get a boost to their ego for believing that they are part of the "real truth" that they know more than the rest of humanity. All the horrible people they didn't like before will be damned or unenlightened, and they will be safe. So in a sense it can also provide a feeling of invincibility.

3.) What kind of "profound" practices might a supernatural cult have?

Depends on the exact cult that you are talking about. When you boil it down, all religions have a cult mentality. Most often having "profound" experiences involves: the ingestion of drugs, self mutilation, fasting (starvation), ritualistic bathing, sexual favors, animal sacrifices, human sacrifices, dances/ceremonies, and so on...

I find that most people who are attracted to the "supernatural" in particular most of the New Age practitioners of Witchcraft tend to be people who are usually lower to middle class individuals or teenagers who are looking for a reason to rebel to justify their feelings of isolation.

The adults tend to be people who are usually working in mediocre positions who want to feel powerful; they are exerting control over things in their life. These also include a disproportionate amount of drug users, cutters, individuals who have experienced some form of abuse in their life, and anyone else who is seeking to escape from the annoyances of modern living in favor for feeling more "in touch with nature/the earth/reality/God/Goddess".
I'm looking for a monster that would consume/prey on humanoids for a very specific purpose.
I can think of some examples. Vampires, obviously. Another one that comes to mind is a beast called Mbwun from Preston/Child novels who feeds on brains.

But beyond this I'm at a loss for possibilities.

(Context: "Human" attacked - would like the human to be singled out for some reason but it's not necessary. Just need some ideas about creatures/monsters/"insert preferred term" here that might prey)

Hope this is clear enough. I know I'm not being very specific but this is because I am trying to keep my options open. Would like to choose a creature then narrow it down rather then try to find one to fit a specific spot.
Patchwork Emotions
I'm looking for a monster that would consume/prey on humanoids for a very specific purpose.
I can think of some examples. Vampires, obviously. Another one that comes to mind is a beast called Mbwun from Preston/Child novels who feeds on brains.

But beyond this I'm at a loss for possibilities.

(Context: "Human" attacked - would like the human to be singled out for some reason but it's not necessary. Just need some ideas about creatures/monsters/"insert preferred term" here that might prey)

Hope this is clear enough. I know I'm not being very specific but this is because I am trying to keep my options open. Would like to choose a creature then narrow it down rather then try to find one to fit a specific spot.

Well you may want to consider setting a part as well because there are any number of mythological/crytozoological creatures that are said to pray upon man from various cultures for a multitude of reasons. Would you be wanting these creatures to feast upon the flesh of humans, human affection, or just their spirits/lifeforce?
Umbre

Well you may want to consider setting a part as well because there are any number of mythological/crytozoological creatures that are said to pray upon man from various cultures for a multitude of reasons. Would you be wanting these creatures to feast upon the flesh of humans, human affection, or just their spirits/lifeforce?

Setting I'm open on...as long as it's well populated (in modern times).
And I would prefer to hear about creatures that feast on spirits. I know about some that prey on flesh, but not so much about the others. I have an Encyclopedia of creatures but it's huge. Been looking through the malevolent list but it's still a lot to go through. biggrin
Patchwork Emotions

Setting I'm open on...as long as it's well populated (in modern times).
And I would prefer to hear about creatures that feast on spirits. I know about some that prey on flesh, but not so much about the others. I have an Encyclopedia of creatures but it's huge. Been looking through the malevolent list but it's still a lot to go through. biggrin

Psychic vampires, incubi/succubi (this includes the Japanese kitsune), and agrigors(homunculus/man-made ghosts) could be the initial options before you as they are often the easiest accepted and most recognizable. However, we're looking for something a bit more offbeat.

Monstorpedia

May help out quite a bit. I like Draug and Fossegrim, take a look at those... Hope they help some.
Umbre

Psychic vampires, incubi/succubi (this includes the Japanese kitsune), and agrigors(homunculus/man-made ghosts) could be the initial options before you as they are often the easiest accepted and most recognizable. However, we're looking for something a bit more offbeat.

Monstorpedia

May help out quite a bit. I like Draug and Fossegrim, take a look at those... Hope they help some.

Awesome - thank you very much. Love the link. Draugar are especially appealing <3

O.G. Elder

A little encouragement to stay on the first page.
Does anyone know if there's a collective term for nixes/nixies, or do you just go with one or the other? Also, does anyone know any sites that have a page on them? All I've looked at is the Wikipedia page, and that's not necessarily the best place to use as a source...

O.G. Elder

I believe when talking about the group as a whole, you use the feminine Nixies.

I did a short search, and nothing of value came up. A few short summaries, but for the most part, you'll be better off searching for a book on German myths.

Try searching German Folklore on Amazon or another bookseller of your choice. It brought up several good looking hits for me, but not having read them, I won't suggest any particular volume.
Black Gabriel

I believe when talking about the group as a whole, you use the feminine Nixies.

I did a short search, and nothing of value came up. A few short summaries, but for the most part, you'll be better off searching for a book on German myths.

Try searching German Folklore on Amazon or another bookseller of your choice. It brought up several good looking hits for me, but not having read them, I won't suggest any particular volume.

Thanks! I'll make sure I check those out.
Thanks for the replies, Black Gabriel and Umbre smile One of my characters joins a cult of shapeshifters, but an unmotivated, humble person like me couldn't understand the mind frame behind it.
Hellooo.
Is there some kind of thing that can dissapear/reappear in a shadow or fog?
It's kind of necessary to my storyline now.
gonk
Also, I need a Grim-Reaper like creature.
Not in looks, but powers of some sort.
Halp?
Nonsensical Blather
Hellooo.
gonk
Halp?

There are a lot of things that hide in fog as far as the supernatural is concerned. Many Native American mythology alludes to the spirits being more active in with that. You could perhaps go with a wraith in this case. You wouldn't need a specific sort of beast, unless your character is specifically hunting it down and needs one. You could probably suffice with an elemental.
Umbre
Nonsensical Blather
Hellooo.
gonk
Halp?

There are a lot of things that hide in fog as far as the supernatural is concerned. Many Native American mythology alludes to the spirits being more active in with that. You could perhaps go with a wraith in this case. You wouldn't need a specific sort of beast, unless your character is specifically hunting it down and needs one. You could probably suffice with an elemental.

Yes!
Thanks, you really helped. I think I'll be subscribing to this thread now..
o w o
My entire story is based on only three words. I may need a bit of help.
gonk
If you need help, just jingle or PM. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas