Welcome to Gaia! ::

Black Gabriel

Are you sure? These brownies?

It could be I've heard of another type. There's lots of folk lore on faeries, pixies, and brownies. They each have good and bad versions. I might have only seen the bad for brownies. xd
Temisar Fen
As for Faeries: the only flesh eating ones I can think of would be Brownies. Brownies, however, have a long standing opposition to the likes of Faeries. Pixies tend to bite, but they don't eat flesh. Brownies, though, do take huge bites. >.> They're evil little guys. Worst of the little-folk.

-Hope this helps!

I'm pretty sure Brownies aren't the ones you're thinking of. They're the "Elves and the Shoemaker" style ones. Friendly, helpful, etc.

@Jedi: Thanks. Yeah, I'm probably just going to go with a fairy unless someone shows up with something miraculous at some point; it should work pretty well.

O.G. Elder

Temisar Fen
Black Gabriel

It could be I've heard of another type. There's lots of folk lore on faeries, pixies, and brownies. They each have good and bad versions. I might have only seen the bad for brownies. xd

Actually, names are pretty specific in English lore. There's a lot of different kinds of fey, and the good + bad types are distinct from each other.
It varies per culture from what I have read, but both of you are correct. I retract my brownie suggestion; Pixies are all I am left with.
Black Gabriel
Temisar Fen
Black Gabriel

Actually, names are pretty specific in English lore. There's a lot of different kinds of fey, and the good + bad types are distinct from each other.

It might have been something that someone called a brownie, but in reality wasn't. Hobgoblin seems to also be used in the place of "brownie" (and not just in Spiderwick, I've seen the reference elsewhere), though hobgoblin has a decidedly darker tone and sound to it. Still, I don't recall either one actually eating people. That's more...well, like a goblin or an ogre, isn't it? Not really fairy territory.
A cranky fairy could work for that, though you could probably get away with magically binding almost anyone/any creature, depending on the magic system and what not.

Great thing about fantasy. You'll never run out of options.

O.G. Elder

Jedi Arashi
Black Gabriel
Temisar Fen
Black Gabriel

It might have been something that someone called a brownie, but in reality wasn't. Hobgoblin seems to also be used in the place of "brownie" (and not just in Spiderwick, I've seen the reference elsewhere), though hobgoblin has a decidedly darker tone and sound to it. Still, I don't recall either one actually eating people. That's more...well, like a goblin or an ogre, isn't it? Not really fairy territory.

Kinda. I blame Dungeons & Dragons for a lot of this.

They take basic mythological entities, and twist them for their own purposes [s**t for role-players to kill.] Hobgoblin in DnD is a huge hairy goblin of higher intellect that usually wields a morningstar, or some such weapon.
Makai447
A cranky fairy could work for that, though you could probably get away with magically binding almost anyone/any creature, depending on the magic system and what not.

Great thing about fantasy. You'll never run out of options.

And the fun bit about the story I'm writing is that it involves a series of different planes, though the main focus is in (normal) NYC. So basically, I can have different magic systems for different planes, or no magic systems, or basically whatever I need. (And no, that's not nearly as rigged in my favor as it sounds. XD) Given the specific setting for this fellow, I think it would be easier to bind a fairy than someone else.
Black Gabriel
Jedi Arashi
Black Gabriel
Temisar Fen
Black Gabriel

They take basic mythological entities, and twist them for their own purposes [s**t for role-players to kill.] Hobgoblin in DnD is a huge hairy goblin of higher intellect that usually wields a morningstar, or some such weapon.

That's strange. I'm looking for positively dangerous fey that I can use in my book as the incarnation of evil, not necessarily flesh eating. Most of the ones I keep finding are friendly and helpful. Pixies fall into the category of mischievous, but not evil. Damn, I really was hoping I could find fey in mythological or magical fiction that actually behaved the way I described them, but I'll settle for evil for the purposes of my plot razz

O.G. Elder

Nyxix
Black Gabriel
Jedi Arashi
Black Gabriel
Temisar Fen
Black Gabriel

That's strange. I'm looking for positively dangerous fey that I can use in my book as the incarnation of evil, not necessarily flesh eating. Most of the ones I keep finding are friendly and helpful. Pixies fall into the category of mischievous, but not evil. Damn, I really was hoping I could find fey in mythological or magical fiction that actually behaved the way I described them, but I'll settle for evil for the purposes of my plot razz

I'm SURE I mentioned Redcaps. Those are some nasty motherfuggers.
Pack with the Devil

I've done my research on Wikipedia and such so I'd just like some feedback/constructive criticism. In my story the main character (#1) makes a deal with a devil, he gives up a portion of his life span and his soul in exchange for fame (he's an artist). Throughout the story several other characters make similar deals with the same demon. Now like all devil pacts there's a twist with each contract. My other titular character of the story, she does a Dorian Gray style deal with her not aging and her portrait (painted by the MC#1).
In my story demons are creatures of change, bound by their masks to the underworld so the only way they can exist in the human world is if a human takes it off of them. Now for aesthetic, not to mention plot, sake assume human form.

O.G. Elder

delirious-dreamer
Pack with the Devil

I've done my research on Wikipedia and such so I'd just like some feedback/constructive criticism. In my story the main character (#1) makes a deal with a devil, he gives up a portion of his life span and his soul in exchange for fame (he's an artist). Throughout the story several other characters make similar deals with the same demon. Now like all devil pacts there's a twist with each contract. My other titular character of the story, she does a Dorian Gray style deal with her not aging and her portrait (painted by the MC#1).
In my story demons are creatures of change, bound by their masks to the underworld so the only way they can exist in the human world is if a human takes it off of them. Now for aesthetic, not to mention plot, sake assume human form.

There's not a lot of meat there for criticism. As far as the concept goes, it's solid, if not very unique.
That's about all I can say on that.
delirious-dreamer
Pact with the Devil

On what specific aspect of that description are you looking for feedback? You didn't really give us much to comment on.

I have to say, I adore The Picture of Dorian Gray (I'm actually running a workshop on it in the fall), but I'd advise you to be really careful writing that idea; it sounds like you're really close to, if not actually, just ripping off Wilde.
Pack with the Devil

Edit: sorry about the earlier post, not too sure how that happened I've been typing for a while and hadn't noticed.
I've done my research on Wikipedia and such so I'd just like some feedback/constructive criticism. In my story the main character (#1 AKA Eivam) makes a deal with a devil, he gives up a portion of his life span and his soul in exchange for fame (he's an artist). Throughout the story several other characters make similar deals with the same demon. Now like all devil pacts there's a twist with each contract. My other titular character of the story, Imogen, she does a Dorian Gray style deal with her not aging and her portrait (painted by the MC#1).
In my story demons are creatures of change, bound by their masks to the underworld so the only way they can exist in the human world is if a human takes it off of them. Now for aesthetic, not to mention plot, sake assume human form. But being in the human world puts a strain on them, not too sure how yet probably either spiritual or physical, but they need to consume human souls and steal their life spans because people today live for too long (this story is set in the modern day in a fictional city in New York state).
So down to the meat of it all, devil #1 is Aeshma, based off of the demon Asmodeus from the book of Tobit and Aeshma a Daeva or demon from Persian mythology. He's a people person and plays the role of devil's advocate between protagonists and antagonists dealing with both sides but leans towards favoring Imogen and Eivam. Devil #2 is Mephistopheles, she is distant and more calculating than Aeshma, she favors my antagonists (Nina) because of what happened between her and Aeshma.
Questions: Is there a female form of the name Mephistopheles? (Taken from Goethe's Faust story) or something equivalent but not overly used, like Lilith, Morgan, (lol Dark Stalkers).
Does it make sense to give the demons this limit and the desire to ascend to the form of humans? And the need to extend their limited lifespan by stealing or accepting human souls?
Is there any advice you can give me, or anything wrong I can fix (beside the overly long post).
Thanks in advance
Delir
delirious-dreamer
Now for aesthetic, not to mention plot, sake assume human form.

Please tell me you aren't solely doing that because you want your demons to be pretty.

delirious-dreamer
Questions: Is there a female form of the name Mephistopheles? (Taken from Goethe's Faust story) or something equivalent but not overly used, like Lilith, Morgan, (lol Dark Stalkers).

"Mephistopheles" is another name for the devil. (As in, Satan.) So unless you want to do a "lulz Satan's actually a girl, everyone!" moment, I'd suggest you go with something else. If you go with Lilith, you're also getting into all the controversy over whether she was actually Adam's first wife, later demonized and thrown deeper into Jewish myth to assert male dominance, or if she was always a demon. I'd suggest checking out a demon listing. I've had this one bookmarked for a while, and it has proven to be pretty helpful in my experience.

delirious-dreamer
Does it make sense to give the demons this limit and the desire to ascend to the form of humans?

If you can answer the question, "Why would they want to be like humans?" for me right now without talking in circles, then yes, it's fine. (Seriously. Try to see if you can.)

Also, the word you're looking for is "pact," not "pack."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces