Welcome to Gaia! ::

Makai447
Nyxix
I'm interested in creatures like wraiths, or something similar that can cause fear in people, and take their souls. As dementors are copyright to JKR, I would like further information on wraiths instead.

I also need some ideas about fairies/pixies. I intend to make them evil little figures that chew at your skin, and wondered if there was anything similar in the mythology, and I would like to avoid the idea of gremlins in my fantasy book.

Also, the only thing I knew about banshees as they're the departed soul of a woman, trapped by grief and I can only find small information on them. Any further information on how they are created would be wonderful.

Please and thank you for these!

Looking at the posts above me, I'll just respond to the banshee bit right now.

I don't know exactly what you were looking for, but from what I've seen, banshee was another name for other similar creatures (same thing as Bean Sidhe, or Nighe. Basically a type of farie woman). It's not solid, but some call them fallen angels, other's say they're spirits of nature or the anscestors.

Sorry that's not more specific, but it's a start.

The banshee is an omen of death. I heard the name (Bean Sidhe)in The Dreaming Tree and researched after. They appear beside a river cleaning a bloody white cloth. Theres a similar mexican folklore of a woman whos naughty children didnt listen to her when she said not to play by the river and drowned, she wails for them at night and snatches up other naughty kids and drowns them.
I just want to say that this thread is made of 100% pure, unadulterated WIN.

Also, could you tell me if any other cultures have creatures similar to the Inuit Mahaha? They're so wonderfully creepy I'd love to use them, but my story takes place largely in Europe.

O.G. Elder

Long over-due bump.

I DIDN'T FORGET YOU, I SWEAR.

Jasper Riddle generated a random number between 1 and 5 ... 4!

ROLLING FOR INITITIVE!
Four! According to the chart, that's "monsters (bestial)".

I think I'm gonna need help here. What's a nasty beast monster that could conceivably be created by non-supernatural means?

O.G. Elder

Chimaeras.
Hybrid animals made either through genetic manipulation, or grafting.

This is particularly interesting for the fact that there really is interest in creating chimaeric animals in the scientific community, though the process is somewhat legally challenged.
Ooooh. That actually sounds pretty good.
In this scenario I imagine they could easily get away with it, the setting being as it is.

Thanks!
I've already well-researched the supernatural aspects of my story, and I am a master of invention when it comes to my creatures ((and oh-so modest)). I'm here to offer any advice to anyone needing a creature from folklore or invention. ((Vampires were much more interesting back-in-the-day when they were born as mists, turned to gelatin as they evolved, and finally a human)).

O.G. Elder

Why do I keep letting this thread sink?

Why do the REST of you keep letting this thread sink?

Newbie Noob

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
Jaguira_Hyami
Also, could you tell me if any other cultures have creatures similar to the Inuit Mahaha? They're so wonderfully creepy I'd love to use them, but my story takes place largely in Europe.

Tickling people to death does seem strange. I cannot think of anything else similar. I'm sure you could just use them anyways if you really wanted to. neutral
I guess... Could use Global Warming as an excuse, or something like that XD Thanks!

Newbie Noob

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
I would just put them in Europe and give them a different name. But I am lazy.
Perfect Imperfection v2.0
Jaguira_Hyami

Tickling people to death does seem strange. I cannot think of anything else similar. I'm sure you could just use them anyways if you really wanted to. neutral

It'd be just as easy to relocate the demon. Spirits tend to travel quickly, and in most mythology can have items bound to them. For example, maybe a group of explorers searched the location of the Inuits, and found a book, ice-pick, fingernail, etc. That the Mahaha was bound to. Then you could set it loose in Europe.
Exxxcellent twisted I'm thinking a blanket would work nicely... Ironically, too, since their fingers are so cold. *cackles*
Hi ^^ Great thread - I'd be very appreciative if anyone has any information or sites on 'Shadow People' or the like, just starting to do some research now, but alot of the sites I'm looking at all have the same information.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces