Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Hoarder

PorceIain Doll
Panagrammic
PorceIain Doll
Also does this affect Fortune Favor rings?
Would you approach the nerf faster with them?

Yeah, but you're still earning more gold overall.

Thard_Verad
From the screenshots I've seen, the game might say you get 500g for defeating a boss, but with the curve you only get 50g. The text should be changed when someone has the time to code it.

Yeah, agreed, that really needs to be fixed.

Thanks Pan, it was a question many had asked.
Guess for now, Fortune Favors aren't worth it dramallama

Well, it still lets you get to the cap faster. So for those after gold it means less playing time.

Trash Genius

I like this idea- and I really appreciated in Papa Saw being shown how much gold I'm making, not just my total gold amount. It makes strategizing much easier to get the best payout, or the best time with most gold. (For those who challenge themselves with fastest PS Hard runs.)
This is the news I love to hear- and it means that we won't have incredible mega-players running with over 500k in profits. That just drives popular items in zOMG! through the roof, and kills the market with inflation.
I hope to see more news like this coming out the Gaia public, and no matter how much BAWWWWing there is, we as a whole should be grateful zOMG! isn't being shoved into a musty corner to sit and rot.
Thanks Pan for the update <3

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Khrate
Hi, Panagrammic. First of all, thanks for clarifying the numbers around the gold nerfs on zOMG.

However, I do want to point out that:
1) The average time for an sEB run is about twenty minutes for most of the people I've crewed with, meaning it would take four runs, each earning about 40k, to make 160k. That would mean that 150k+ would take about... 1.3 hours. (This isn't including the time to find a crew, though, of course.)
2) Is it really wise to base the nerfs off a single day? Especially on a Sunday, when students (which I imagine make up a very large portion of the zOMG userbase) have time to play and will therefore earn more gold than a normal weekday? Moreover, statistically, a sample size of one day seems like it isn't a very good basis for justification on the curve... I would feel more comfortable if a week, or even a month, was inspected.
3) Lowering the gold seems completely counter intuitive if the goal is to drive more users to play zOMG. Sure, many users play for the fun, but many also play for the gold perk, which has just been downsized dramatically at the top end of the curve. But putting that all aside, what about the other pressing issues concerning zOMG? One huge hurdle for newbies is the lack of developer support for the game. There are tons of glitches that really, really need attention in the game, and with less and less devs, it's unlikely they'll ever get fixed. Also, what about updates? I feel like older players lose interest in the game because we never get any new things to play. What's the point in getting new users to join if older ones are leaving/have left in droves?

Gold curve or not, I don't expect these observations to change anything. I just want to see if these aspects were taken to consideration before the gold nerf was implemented.

1. From the grant logs, it looks like the top players can sustain about 50k - 80k an hour.
2. Other days are representative. For example:

2/28: 11462 players, 144 top players earning 23% of the gold
3/1: 10992, 142 top players earning 24%
3/2: 10853, 138 top players earning 25%
3/3: 10880, 145 top players earning 24%
3/4: 12289, 189 top players earning 28%
3/5: 14340, 233 top players earning 30%

3. We want to remove some gold at the high end and give it to users on the low end. I'll have to defer to Swarf / bron / JK on particular, but I'm hoping that by fixing some of the worse glitches, and having interesting item exchange stuff that require zOMG components, we can maintain interest in the game for now. If we can funnel new users into the game and get a substantial percentage of them to "stick," it raises the importance of zOMG.
Panagrammic
Looking at the curve over time, the question here is a) when does it start to kick in, and b) when does it reduce to minimum. The current curve kicks in immediately at 2 or 3 hours; we could instead flatten it out so that you would have to play 12 hours to get the maximum amount of gold.

Gamewise, there are also options: taking EB as an example, we could reduce the payout or change it so speed runs are no longer possible.

Um...you didn't answer part b, so how much does it reduce by over time? (Or did you not get to that?)
Please do that 12 hour maximum instead of the curve, it'll be nice for people not doing seb (the 100k limit 100% e., 150k limit 90% e., 150k post 10% e. still in effect is good).
For the EB thing, the payout is possible, the speed runs however are different, a crew could just stand around and heal for a good 15 minutes or just stay in a safe area until enough time has passed (please don't take the rings' effects away, it would just make them useless...)
(I'm probably one of those 1% people, though I don't farm constantly, I make about 200-500k 2 or 3 times a week...)
I kinda like the gold adjustment, it's not that bad. (well at least for me)

Mega Hoarder

Panagrammic

1. From the grant logs, it looks like the top players can sustain about 50k - 80k an hour.

3. We want to remove some gold at the high end and give it to users on the low end. I'll have to defer to Swarf / bron / JK on particular, but I'm hoping that by fixing some of the worse glitches, and having interesting item exchange stuff that require zOMG components, we can maintain interest in the game for now. If we can funnel new users into the game and get a substantial percentage of them to "stick," it raises the importance of zOMG.

Thank you for this info smile

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
sk8ing_cat
ah i see, thanks pan! is 100k truly the amount that the average gaian makes? ....because it's hard to believe that....unless they either don't draw, or don't zomg or vend,..that'd be one of the only ways i'd think for that to be right.

Ignoring zOMG and BG, the average Gaian gets about 215g / day. It's more complicated (since DC gives out items), but overall it's probably not more than 500g.

Mega Hoarder

Panagrammic
sk8ing_cat
ah i see, thanks pan! is 100k truly the amount that the average gaian makes? ....because it's hard to believe that....unless they either don't draw, or don't zomg or vend,..that'd be one of the only ways i'd think for that to be right.

Ignoring zOMG and BG, the average Gaian gets about 215g / day. It's more complicated (since DC gives out items), but overall it's probably not more than 500g.

But this will change with the increased posting bonus.

xMill's Partner

Panagrammic
Khrate
Hi, Panagrammic. First of all, thanks for clarifying the numbers around the gold nerfs on zOMG.

1) The average time for an sEB run is about twenty minutes for most of the people I've crewed with, meaning it would take four runs, each earning about 40k, to make 160k. That would mean that 150k+ would take about... 1.3 hours. (This isn't including the time to find a crew, though, of course.)
2) Is it really wise to base the nerfs off a single day? Especially on a Sunday, when students (which I imagine make up a very large portion of the zOMG userbase) have time to play and will therefore earn more gold than a normal weekday? Moreover, statistically, a sample size of one day seems like it isn't a very good basis for justification on the curve... I would feel more comfortable if a week, or even a month, was inspected.
3) Lowering the gold seems completely counter intuitive if the goal is to drive more users to play zOMG. Sure, many users play for the fun, but many also play for the gold perk, which has just been downsized dramatically at the top end of the curve. But putting that all aside, what about the other pressing issues concerning zOMG? One huge hurdle for newbies is the lack of developer support for the game. There are tons of glitches that really, really need attention in the game, and with less and less devs, it's unlikely they'll ever get fixed. Also, what about updates? I feel like older players lose interest in the game because we never get any new things to play. What's the point in getting new users to join if older ones are leaving/have left in droves?

Gold curve or not, I don't expect these observations to change anything. I just want to see if these aspects were taken to consideration before the gold nerf was implemented.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that more than just the 3/6 figures were represented when the gold nerf was introduced-- thanks for the numbers on the other days.

In terms of glitches, when do you think those major bugs will be fixed? If possible, could you (or a developer for zOMG) spell out the specific glitches that are going to be fixed, so that the community can be notified?

I like the idea of new items and increasing the importance of zOMG loot, but I have to wonder if the same thing from 2008 will happen again... lack of interest in zOMG items as they become more and more common as time goes on.

PlumpGerty's Significant Otter

Panagrammic
Khrate

Thank you so much for giving us real numbers like this. I really, really appreciate seeing the actual data you guys use. I also appreciate you taking the time to give us all the information about how exactly the curve works. Although it really should've been posted a few days before it went into effect, not the day after Dx. Still, better late than never.

I wonder what range of gold those "top players" earned. Are those the players that earned 150k or more?

Edit: Nvm, I just saw your post in another thread. Top player = earning over 150k, in this case. Thanks!

3,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
ll-Bipolar Bear-ll
Remember that what we want to do is drive more users to zOMG

Well you failed on that part my friend.

No it'll will get them more NEW users but at the same time the majority of the old users will quit zOMG! insanely fast because what's the point of having a 10 CL when somebody with a little 1.0 CL is gonna be earing like 20 times more gold than you. The real question should be is this curve really worth all the anger it's causing? Because i think not.

Kill Lucky's Wife

Magical Sex Symbol

Panagrammic
sk8ing_cat

If they're strictly on to post a few times then yes, that's what they will get. I've been on gaia since it practically started and I remember strictly posting and I got about that amount. Very few of the users strictly just post though. Many of them have art shops and haggle over items and such. Very small percentage that just post and those that do aren't on gaia long enough for it

Kill Lucky's Wife

Magical Sex Symbol

TheHolyPenis
ll-Bipolar Bear-ll
Remember that what we want to do is drive more users to zOMG

Well you failed on that part my friend.

No it'll will get them more NEW users but at the same time the majority of the old users will quit zOMG! insanely fast because what's the point of having a 10 CL when somebody with a little 1.0 CL is gonna be earing like 20 times more gold than you. The real question should be is this curve really worth all the anger it's causing? Because i think not.

Wait wait wait
Someone who just starts zOMG has a chance at getting that much gold then someone who worked at getting to the level they were at?
WTF?!
D<
I worked hard to get all of my rings to CL 10 and now someone who just starts can get more gold then me?
There.. is something messed up with that
.w.
The older gens will quit leaving the new ones to fend for themselves.
Personally, i've helped about 20 people learn how to play zOMG and got them to at least basken lake so they could play on their own from their for the most part. I know plenty of others who'll do that as well. So when we leave, they'll have to figure it out for themselves which will cause a cycle to begin again and by then zoMG will be dead
make eb harder plox.
Well I hope you're happy with your decision.
Trading real cash for virtual pixel coins.
Because no one's going to buy GC powerups anymore.
strєєt shít, wєll σf cσursє, í smσkє mαd wєєd, í'm σn mч hígh hσrsє.

Kill Lucky's Wife

Magical Sex Symbol

first born princess
Well I hope you're happy with your decision.
Trading real cash for virtual pixel coins.
Because no one's going to buy GC powerups anymore.
strєєt shít, wєll σf cσursє, í smσkє mαd wєєd, í'm σn mч hígh hσrsє.

Anything GC related to zomg is gonna hit a brick wall now
-w-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas