Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
Lord0din69
My example for combo attacks will satisfy the solo player part of it, the team combo attacks will satisfy the crew part of it.

Think of team combos as something similar to what many action games has. If two players attacks the same monsters at the same time with some sort of attack, it combines together to create a more devastating attack. Of course, they will tell you one combo to start you off, but you'll have to find out the rest yourself. Maybe like Water Balloon attack combined with Devish will create a hurricane attack.

For solo'ing I gave the example already, doing a certain orders of attacks to unleash a different special attack.

It doesn't really matter what exactly they add to the combat system, but it lacks depth now. Rage ranks was probably a very feeble attempt to make the combat system a bit more interesting, but it doesn't really add much to the experience if you ask me.
Mind if I suggest an amendment to simplify things? Why not make it so that certain attacks when used in sequence get stronger, rather than creating all new attacks?

For example, when you use a heavy knockbacker like Bump / Hack / Dervish, then any ranged attack you follow it up with gets a damage boost.

So you could do something like Hack -> Shark (+x Damage) -> Solar Rays (+y damage)

Seems a bit simpler than combining attacks the way you describe.
Valheita
Lord0din69
My example for combo attacks will satisfy the solo player part of it, the team combo attacks will satisfy the crew part of it.

Think of team combos as something similar to what many action games has. If two players attacks the same monsters at the same time with some sort of attack, it combines together to create a more devastating attack. Of course, they will tell you one combo to start you off, but you'll have to find out the rest yourself. Maybe like Water Balloon attack combined with Devish will create a hurricane attack.

For solo'ing I gave the example already, doing a certain orders of attacks to unleash a different special attack.

It doesn't really matter what exactly they add to the combat system, but it lacks depth now. Rage ranks was probably a very feeble attempt to make the combat system a bit more interesting, but it doesn't really add much to the experience if you ask me.
Mind if I suggest an amendment to simplify things? Why not make it so that certain attacks when used in sequence get stronger, rather than creating all new attacks?

For example, when you use a heavy knockbacker like Bump / Hack / Dervish, then any ranged attack you follow it up with gets a damage boost.

So you could do something like Hack -> Shark (+x Damage) -> Solar Rays (+y damage)

Seems a bit simpler than combining attacks the way you describe.
That's fine too, but it'll be harder for players to realized they are doing it correctly. Unless if they are told before hand every possible combo they can do.

Interactive environment you have been suggesting is fine, but it will be only limited to those areas. It's like minigames, you can add them in for fun, but it isn't the main attraction.

Like you can have a quest that requires you do some kind of tic tac toe kind of game in it. Like have 9 squares and you have to kill all the monsters in a row before the monsters fill up a row. Or even more quest like the Gauntlet where you have to run like hell before they catch you. However, they will be adding new quest anyways with new ideas. Eventually those ideas will become less novel, and that is when it falls back to the combat system to keep the game interesting.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Lord0din69
That's fine too, but it'll be harder for players to realized they are doing it correctly. Unless if they are told before hand every possible combo they can do.

Interactive environment you have been suggesting is fine, but it will be only limited to those areas. It's like minigames, you can add them in for fun, but it isn't the main attraction.

Like you can have a quest that requires you do some kind of tic tac toe kind of game in it. Like have 9 squares and you have to kill all the monsters in a row before the monsters fill up a row. Or even more quest like the Gauntlet where you have to run like hell before they catch you. However, they will be adding new quest anyways with new ideas. Eventually those ideas will become less novel, and that is when it falls back to the combat system to keep the game interesting.
I was thinking the ability to knock your opponents into things like trees and rocks to do extra damage.

I don't think the combat system would benefit from anything super flashy. I think if they're going to update it, they need to do it subtly... which I realise is a bit of a laugh for zOMG!.
@Lord069: would this be considered as an example for "combos"?

- Team Leader releases an aura that stuns all enemies for a short time before the period runs out(provided all crew members have Full Rage and all attacks will be at RR4). During this time all attacks will be recorded for something special to occur:

- Team Leader unleashes Solar Rays, and Crew member 2 uses Hack on 1 enemy.

- Both attacks are now recorded, and another attack initiates automatically called "Compound Special Attack". The Hack sword is revealed while it absorbs Solar Ray's light. The destructive thrust causes a piecing stream of light to fire through the enemy.

Sort of like this system, right?
keito melfina
@Lord069: would this be considered as an example for "combos"?

- Team Leader releases an aura that stuns all enemies for a short time before the period runs out(provided all crew members have Full Rage and all attacks will be at RR4). During this time all attacks will be recorded for something special to occur:

- Team Leader unleashes Solar Rays, and Crew member 2 uses Hack on 1 enemy.

- Both attacks are now recorded, and another attack initiates automatically called "Compound Special Attack". The Hack sword is revealed while it absorbs Solar Ray's light. The destructive thrust causes a piecing stream of light to fire through the enemy.

Sort of like this system, right?
The Tales series is a good example of team combos, but it exist in many other games too. But, in the end it they just need to give more depth to the combat system.

@V:The combat system doesn't need to be flashy in-order to have more depth. It could simply say COMBO when you've done it correctly. It doesn't have to have some super explosion happen, that would be just icing on the cake.

Shoving enemies into other physical objects is a good one too, but again they need to add some signal that it is because you are shoving them into a rock and not damaged from something else.

Imagine how can you differ where the damage is coming from exactly if you are spamming a lot of attacks at the same time. A small indication like the animated word "bop" shows up will also tell the user they are doing it correctly.
Valheita
That's an option, though I was thinking for My Density, that maybe you could have underground areas which can be accessed by having a certain collective weight on an area. My Density would be great for that.

There's really nothing wrong with either idea, I personally would love to see both spins on My Density being implemented. As long as rings have functions other than just purely "Hack and Slash", I'll be thoroughly satisfied many times over. smile

In the meantime, lets brainstorm more uses for our current array of rings. What if Otami Ruins had thorny shrubs that randomly sprouted and blocked player's progression throughout the area? Hot Foot could be used to burn them down, as well as give the user a chance to get a few coins and orbs. Also, Shark Attack could be used to trigger certain switches beyond a player's reach, sort of like Bombachus in many Zelda related games. That would be neat in my opinion.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Lord0din69

@V:The combat system doesn't need to be flashy in-order to have more depth. It could simply say COMBO when you've done it correctly. It doesn't have to have some super explosion happen, that would be just icing on the cake.

Shoving enemies into other physical objects is a good one too, but again they need to add some signal that it is because you are shoving them into a rock and not damaged from something else.

Imagine how can you differ where the damage is coming from exactly if you are spamming a lot of attacks at the same time. A small indication like the animated word "bop" shows up will also tell the user they are doing it correctly.
I guess you could have it pop up a little "Combo" message above the Animated.

I'm not really feeling the combo idea though. D:
Valheita
Lord0din69

I guess you could have it pop up a little "Combo" message above the Animated.

I'm not really feeling the combo idea though. D:
It doesn't have to be the combo thing, I just gave it as an example xd

It's just that the combat system is lacking depth. There's no finesse in it, like the example you gave too would have been great, but just make it on a larger scale so there's plenty to explore in the combat system. Seriously, that beginning 2 minute tutorial covers all you can do with the rings in game (assuming that it is still there).

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Zhoer
Valheita
That's an option, though I was thinking for My Density, that maybe you could have underground areas which can be accessed by having a certain collective weight on an area. My Density would be great for that.

There's really nothing wrong with either idea, I personally would love to see both spins on My Density being implemented. As long as rings have functions other than just purely "Hack and Slash", I'll be thoroughly satisfied many times over. smile

In the meantime, lets brainstorm more uses for our current array of rings. What if Otami Ruins had thorny shrubs that randomly sprouted and blocked player's progression throughout the area? Hot Foot could be used to burn them down, as well as give the user a chance to get a few coins and orbs. Also, Shark Attack could be used to trigger certain switches beyond a player's reach, sort of like Bombachus in many Zelda related games. That would be neat in my opinion.
Hunter's Bow could be used to pick coins out of certain trees? (only a certain number of times per day though).

Oh, addendum to your suggestion. Maybe Teflon Spray could be used to squeeze through tight gaps, rather than Density?

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Lord0din69
It's just that the combat system is lacking depth. There's no finesse in it, like the example you gave too would have been great, but just make it on a larger scale so there's plenty to explore in the combat system. Seriously, that beginning 2 minute tutorial covers all you can do with the rings in game (assuming that it is still there).
Oh, I agree with you there.

The trick is adding depth without complicating it.

Distinct Warlord

Well, every Legend of Zelda is a perfect example of what you say. I loved those puzzles and made my sword worth a bit more because it wasn't just my force that was proven.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Ungoliath
Well, every Legend of Zelda is a perfect example of what you say. I loved those puzzles and made my sword worth a bit more because it wasn't just my force that was proven.
*has only played Oracle of Seasons*

Distinct Warlord

Valheita
Ungoliath

Remember some of the puzzles? They were pretty cool. A Link to the Past had also some cool mini games.
Labyrinths are what I find more interesting. It's always fun when you just get lost. Anyway, not something as SS but without the map and with more colors. Like Alice. Or Harry Potter <3

Or those floors that you have to step on in order to make them active and you had to complete the whole thing to pass on.
Reminds me also the gym puzzles of Pokemon too.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Ungoliath
Valheita
Ungoliath

Remember some of the puzzles? They were pretty cool. A Link to the Past had also some cool mini games.
Labyrinths are what I find more interesting. It's always fun when you just get lost. Anyway, not something as SS but without the map and with more colors. Like Alice. Or Harry Potter <3

Or those floors that you have to step on in order to make them active and you had to complete the whole thing to pass on.
Reminds me also the gym puzzles of Pokemon too.
I got the original idea for the moving puzzle from the Unknown ^^

Also, in b4 "zOMG! is supposed to be original, ur idea sux" D:

Bobannan's Wife

Desirable Sex Symbol

12,750 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
I read up to page 4, and then skimmed, will read moar in a bit...

I love this idea, but it should be mostly chapter 2, a bit of an introduction to it in chapter 1 though...

I'm thinking in chapter 2 there could be lots of puzzle solving in bigger dungeons, and by bigger dungeons I'm thinking ones that might take hours to complete (but keep reading, it gets good). But what I'm thinking is, even though it would be an instance, it would have "mini null chambers" along the way. You would be safe here, along with being able to move around rings and see other users (it would be un-instanced, but only able to be reached through the instanced dungeon). Here you could crew up with new players and stuff (it would be a fairly big room, with several layers of course).

I think if something like that would give it the chance to have some major puzzle solving and other cool things (like certain spots where you have attack +10% or defense +15%, not original but very fun).

Wait, shoot I went off topic, your threads aleays make me day dream D:<

So yeah, puzzle solving= cool, not sure if anyone mentioned something like this yet (I'll have to read the thread more carefully), but maybe optional side dungeons which would need 6? people (possibly un-instanced, this is making me think of the switches though) to do certain parts? Like you might all need to stand at certain parts to open a door (well, maybe 3-5 people?), then someone has to dash inside the door and open it from the inside to let the rest of you inside? Puzzle solving that needs multiple people could get really fun and complex (but the really complex stuff could all be part of optional side-quest dungeons that aren't needed for the main storyline).

EDIT: Damn, I came in and killed it. crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces