Welcome to Gaia! ::

Astral Phase

7,000 Points
  • Astral Veteran 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Expert Skill 150
This sounds nice to me. It would make things more fun and rewarding. Maybe they could make an area that's just a big maze/puzzle, with a few animated interspersed throughout. Then you get to a chest or something at the end. It could have difficulty levels, and change slightly each time you played. I don't know how plausible that is, but it sounds fun. biggrin

It reminds me a lot of when I used to play Pokemon. You got special moves (HMs) that could be used in battle, but also used out of battle to get past certain obstacles. (Bump = Strength HM?)

(The idea about the evolving rings made me think of Pokemon too. XD)

Relentless Glitch

Maybe during those instanced puzzles, you can hot swap rings. You might not have brought the right one and you may have gone too far to change your rings. One can't always crew up and the crew do not necessarily be as flexible as we like them to be. It'll be another SS run thing all over again.
That would be so epic. I like it n_n
User Image

I wouldn't mind. In fact, I would be thrilled.
It is repetitive. Maybe it's because the way I played; attack attack attack attack heal, and go to this area and repeat, and then boss. I haven't played this game for months now because of repetition, and probably the way I played this game.
I'm thinking of Golden Sun style...
For example, use tornado (forgot what that ring called) on bushes to open blocked path/hidden path. Another example is, using BUMP to move boulders.
If you've played GS, you know what I'm talking about..
User Image

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
Natsumi Kawahama
Maybe during those instanced puzzles, you can hot swap rings. You might not have brought the right one and you may have gone too far to change your rings. One can't always crew up and the crew do not necessarily be as flexible as we like them to be. It'll be another SS run thing all over again.
Well, certainly it does put a burden on soloers. Though I've tried to organise it so that the more essential a ring ability is to passing an area, the more rings have it.

Knockback for example, a lot of rings have it. You'd use it in Otami/SS and it'd be fairly essential.

Hot swapping would be an option, but I think it does evade a bit of the purpose behind the puzzles, that being to encourage crewing/using different rings.

Soulshine
User Image

I wouldn't mind. In fact, I would be thrilled.
It is repetitive. Maybe it's because the way I played; attack attack attack attack heal, and go to this area and repeat, and then boss. I haven't played this game for months now because of repetition, and probably the way I played this game.
I'm thinking of Golden Sun style...
For example, use tornado (forgot what that ring called) on bushes to open blocked path/hidden path. Another example is, using BUMP to move boulders.
If you've played GS, you know what I'm talking about..
User Image
I haven't played GS, but I've a fair idea of what your thinking.

That's certainly one implementation.

Questionable Bunny

11,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
This title is misleading :I

I was expecting more....bashing.. I had a tl;dr post ready to go emo

BUT BACK TO PUZZLES

yes,

Even if it was as simple as "You cant hurt the boss until you do x"

Whether it be dislodging a rock to open a stream and splash SheWolf with water to weaken her.

Or extinguishing spirit pyres in the throne room to make the Stone Coatl vulnerable to your attacks.
hey i need User Image
It's really hard to get alot of coins. Yes. It is boring.
Malignant Virus
Lord0din69
It's like trying to make a ugly half dead dried out Christmas tree look better by adding a bunch of ornaments on it, fake spray paint snow, and all the glitter in the world. In the end it is still a ugly tree, but a pretty looking ugly tree.
Or they could just hog this ugly tree and let no one see it until they're done fixing it.

They aren't going to revert back to closed beta if that is what you were hoping for. They can do a bit of a better job doing some test runs on things they release before putting it on open beta though. However, you know Gaia. They fail to see the most obvious bugs. Look at almost every event they have released. Granted that you can't test out everything because that would cost too much time, but some of those event bugs you would pick up by playing it once without doing anything out of the normal.

~~~
Malignant Virus
Lord0din69
There's no combo attacks.
That wouldn't make our ugly tree look any better. I dun know about you, but I was never interesting in hard core games that had all these extensive combos you had to do to beat bosses.

It doesn't sound very 'casual' to me. Actually, puzzles on the other hand, do.

Actually it would. Imagine if you were playing a hack and slash game like lets say God of War and you weren't able to do anything but a slash attack. No juggling, no creative combo attacks, no special attacks. It'll turn into nothing more than a 1980's hack and slash game like Altered Beast.

For mmorpg gameplay it mainly you hit a button and wait for cooldown to attack again. That's it. That's the majority of the mmorpg gameplay. Adding to the core combat gameplay gives something interesting to explore. Minigames and side attractions should be seen as taking a break from all the fighting you'll be doing in the game. Face it, 90% of time spent in any mmorpg is the combat system. There might be a crafting system and all that other nonsense but everything revolves around the combat system. You can't get the items to craft without fighting. You can't finish many of the quest without fighting. You can't progress in the game without fighting.

Lets look at actual RPGs since they ran into a similar repetitive combat issue. If you take your very old RPGs they were all turn based, attack, defend, item, run. That is the main idea for almost all of them. Eventually they start mixing in different genres of combat system into RPGs. For example, Action Role-playing like Secret of Mana, or even sort of combo system in Legend of Legaia, or FFVII used a twist on turn based by giving people timers instead of turns, or Suikoden using special team attacks depending on who is in your party.

The list goes on. The point here is that they are offering new opportunities for players to explore the combat system. Where's the exploration in Gaia's zOMG combat system? It's limited to ring sets, and trying out each ring. That's all there is to it now. The suggestions I gave allows the players to explore combat system a bit more if they feel like it, and the reward would be more effective damage.

I'm not even sure what they are aiming for when they say a casual MMO. When I think casual in an MMO I think that it allows someone to log on whenever, and play less than 30 minutes of the game and still get a good feel for the mmo game in that short amount of play time. FFXIV is aiming for the casual users too. Where would that leave zOMG? besides being free.

Quote:
“Our top priority is providing a high-quality MMO gaming experience that’s fun and challenging, and also user-friendly for all levels of players,” said David Georgeson, Senior Producer of zOMG! at Gaia Online.

Right now its lacking in the fun factor as the main combat system is dull.

Honestly, step back and clear out all the terminology they fed you about rings and what not. Think of rings as simply abilities you can possibly use and you can only pick up to 8 abilities. What difference is this to other games where you have ideally the same thing, choose from a large selection of abilities you can use and you get to improve those abilities? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It got rid of preset job/class selection to obtain those abilities, but that doesn't really have much concern to the combat system itself.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
The Undead Suitor
This title is misleading :I

I was expecting more....bashing.. I had a tl;dr post ready to go emo

BUT BACK TO PUZZLES

yes,

Even if it was as simple as "You cant hurt the boss until you do x"

Whether it be dislodging a rock to open a stream and splash SheWolf with water to weaken her.

Or extinguishing spirit pyres in the throne room to make the Stone Coatl vulnerable to your attacks.
Sorry to disappoint xd

Yeah, I think something interactive would be wonderful.
Valheita
Lord0din69

It's like trying to make a ugly half dead dried out Christmas tree look better by adding a bunch of ornaments on it, fake spray paint snow, and all the glitter in the world. In the end it is still a ugly tree, but a pretty looking ugly tree.
*shrugs* Good enough for first time MMO players?
Perhaps... but that sounds like an excuse saying that it's good enough when it is obviously not as you have made this thread saying its boring.

Adding to/Improving the combat gameplay is my suggestion to make it less boring since it is what you do for most of the game.

Have you ever had a moment while watching someone else play a game you have played and say something along the lines of "Oh, cool how did you do that? I never knew you can do that. I want to try doing that next time." (not talking about easter eggs though ._.)

Well that moment will never occur in zOMG with this combat system.

Perfect Saint

yessebella
It's really hard to get alot of coins. Yes. It is boring.
Too bad you came 9 months too late to become a millionaire many times over from zOMG.
Well, ideas that might spice up fights:

- Power % is equivalent to HP. There are 2 things HP is needed for, vitality and strength of attacks. If you have 1,000 HP and an enemy reduces it to 400, your Hack will be 40% as effective.

- Bosses that are interactive w/ the environment (like Suitor's idea). I would hope to see a fight where the Crystal Bell w/ HP can be place in KKD's area. The Bell occasionally glows, and when struck to 0 HP, it sends a mystical shockwave that either reduces (still debating on effect):

- Reduce HP of all enemies

- Reduce Power/Defense levels

- Control the Cherry Fluffs for the Crew and charge/explode at KKD and the other Kokeshi Dolls for a short time.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Lord0din69
Valheita
Lord0din69

Perhaps... but that sounds like an excuse saying that it's good enough when it is obviously not as you have made this thread saying its boring.

Adding to/Improving the combat gameplay is my suggestion to make it less boring since it is what you do for most of the game.

Have you ever had a moment while watching someone else play a game you have played and say something along the lines of "Oh, cool how did you do that? I never knew you can do that. I want to try doing that next time." (not talking about easter eggs though ._.)

You mentioned combos... what did you have in mind?

Also, I think interactive environments would make the combat more interesting.
Valheita
Lord0din69
Valheita
Lord0din69

You mentioned combos... what did you have in mind?

Also, I think interactive environments would make the combat more interesting.
My example for combo attacks will satisfy the solo player part of it, the team combo attacks will satisfy the crew part of it.

Think of team combos as something similar to what many action games has. If two players attacks the same monsters at the same time with some sort of attack, it combines together to create a more devastating attack. Of course, they will tell you one combo to start you off, but you'll have to find out the rest yourself. Maybe like Water Balloon attack combined with Devish will create a hurricane attack.

For solo'ing I gave the example already, doing a certain orders of attacks to unleash a different special attack.

It doesn't really matter what exactly they add to the combat system, but it lacks depth now. Rage ranks was probably a very feeble attempt to make the combat system a bit more interesting, but it doesn't really add much to the experience if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff