Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Prophet

@Icehawk:
I did not hear of this 2 free games sale. I love having Amazon Prime, but IDK if I actually save any money because I don't buy that many things, and most things on their video streaming service are on Netflix already.

My Progress:
None yet. I sat down to write, but my kitty is giving me cuddles and I think his anti-anxiety treats are finally working proper and he's back to him old self and I'm so happy.
Finally got round to answering the questions I have been avoiding!

I hate writing something that doesn't have a reason. A character is never bad simply for being bad. Where do the myths and legends come from and why? Why is this person blah blah blah
Why why why why why, I keep going back until I have tied up every single reason for everything.
If I don't then what's keeping it all together.
It can't be so, just because I write it so.

It's exhausting and frustrating. Everything changes because of one detail that doesn't work. Loop holes disappear though.

Questionable Prophet

Snowfax

I hate writing something that doesn't have a reason. A character is never bad simply for being bad. Where do the myths and legends come from and why? Why is this person blah blah blah
Why why why why why, I keep going back until I have tied up every single reason for everything.

It's exhausting and frustrating. Everything changes because of one detail that doesn't work. Loop holes disappear though.

Yikes. I could see how that could be frustrating, but it has to be gratifying when it all falls into place. When kind of story are you writing?
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
Snowfax

Yikes. I could see how that could be frustrating, but it has to be gratifying when it all falls into place. When kind of story are you writing?

Yes it is gratifying when everything works out or where I see links that I didn't plan in the first place but do work :]
It's a complicated fantasy/adventure series... It's... man, I don't know where to start! There's lots of history involved and mathematics and on top of that is the fantasy bit which all has to work believably with the science bit. It's taken me two years and I'm no where near done planning!
People tell me to Just Start Writing it... but you can't, you see, because each book has to work with each other and so I have to know what's going to happen roughly in each of them.
emo

Sparkly Gekko

Hey, guys. Been a while.

Reorganized a bunch. Working on a fantasy story that I set aside a while ago. After that's done I'll get back to Specter. Also won a writing contest recently.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Haven't revised yet today. *Have* pitched the completed story via Twitter's #SecretShop. Still unsure whether or not these things really work, but determined to try to get attention via them, if for other reason than because I figure reactions from other writers on pitches ought to be a good sign as to whether they're working or not.

At 7.7k on revisions. Would like to hit 8.5k at a minimum tonight. Honestly, this week, just restarting the writing process and forming a plan of attack to go after this story and start fixing it up is tremendous. We'll see what happens.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Polished up 'Circus' a little more. By... Wednesday, or Thursday, I'll be submitting it. I've done a tiny bit of work on my novel (which is better than nothing) and I'm still waiting to hear the verdict from a magazine I submitted to some time ago. Less than a month, I think. Wish me luck? T.T
D4 of me novel has begun at long last. Title still illusive.

Sparkly Gekko

Wrote more of that fantasy story. At 55k now.

May or may not end up participating in another contest. We'll see.
Finished a short. Tomorrow's the last day of my vaca, so...

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Round 2 of queries went out. At 16k on revisions, but some of that still needs tweaking. Solidly past 15k at this point, I think. Did some story research on PTSD, and worked on cultivating an appearance on Twitter.

Waiting for a pitch contest to start up:
https://chasingthecrazies.wordpress.com/2015-sun-vs-snow-contest/

Be interesting to see if I get a better response on this than I have on this round of queries. Thus far no responses at all. Rather hoping I don't just enter into query limbo for a while.
Submitted a story.

The one I finished the other day I wanted to submit, but it needs editing. So it joins the stack of 4 other ones that I'll work on at lunch at work. My focus needs to be the novel, but I'm not dragging that back and forth. Lunch is for shorts.

@terradi

Good luck! It can be a pain but it's worth it. I know they can take a while to get back to you.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Thanks Icehawk! Last time I think I got my first rejection before I finished sending them all out. I'm rather hoping that my heavily revised query is more appealing this time around, and that they at least have to think about what I've sent them before they send me a no.

I expect a bunch of form rejections, but I'm hoping for some reasoning this time around on why what I have isn't a good fit for them. That would be a big step up, and tell me that I'm at least moving in the right direction.

I think I'll end up waiting around three months for some of these. Long enough to probably finish this third book in the proposed series (query says 'series potential' because apparently that is the way to pitch it) and start on something new.

I plan on sending a third round of queries no matter what, then possibly beginning queries on a new project if I haven't found any other agents that I really want to pitch my story to.

Good luck on your story submission!

Lazy Teammate

24,425 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Evolution Debut 250
((I guess I'll start doing this.))

Finish drafting the fifth chapter, I may have to revise the third chapter more before publish it on wattpad.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff