New NaNo thread is up!

*lets thread wither and die* 0.5 50.0% [ 17 ]
*waits for thread to be rebirthed from the ashes* 0.5 50.0% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 1870 1871 1872 > >> >>> »|

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

Welcome to the Off-Season NaNo 2.0!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A few years ago, several NaNoWriMo participants came together and decided that they needed a space after November Ended; a cozy, supported, friendly place to go where they could continue to share story ideas, lament writer's block, get plot help, and brag about who tortures their characters the most. Thus, the Off-Season NaNoWriMo was born. Here it has been remade, remodeled, and is ready to support EVERYONE with their writing needs, through December and beyond!

In this thread, you can find everything from word wars, writing prompts, editors, and much more! If anyone has any questions, feel free hop on in and ask! Fresh meat New faces are much loved!

WEEKLY PROMPT
Your character has just been chosen to lead, or chose to fight in, a fantasy military league. What occurs when they arrive there?
(generously supplied by HappyPandaGamer

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

THREAD FAQ

What is NaNoWriMo?
An annual challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. (you can find a link to the official website in the Links section above)

What is this thread?
This is the thread we use outside of November and Camp NaNo months. Here we talk about our novels, hang out, complain about our novels, provide plot assistance, word war, cheer each other on, and hopefully get some writing done. Mostly, though, we distract each other.

Do I have to have participated or plan on participating in NaNoWriMo to hang out?
Hell no! Get your good looking tushy in here and keep us company.

What the devil is a word war?
Write as much as you can in a set amount of time with anyone else who joins in.
Setting one up is easy; it follows the format of :[minutes of the hour] for [time]
So it would look like this if you want to war at 2:00 your time for fifteen minutes.
"Does anyone want to war at :00 for 15?"
OR you can even change things up and say, "Anyone up for 15 at the :00?"

We also began a new tradition. Prompt wars! Prompt wars follow the traditional word war pattern, but somebody provides a prompt for everyone to write about during the allotted time.

What is Random Excerpt Time (RET)? *quivers in fear*
This is a time honored NaNo thread tradition that occasionally pops up in non-NaNo months, although not as frequently, and it's exactly what it sounds like. We all post and give feedback on small excerpts taken from our novels. Yes, this can be terrifying, because sharing part of your brainchild can be intimidating. Participating is greatly encouraged, we always give positive feedback* and once you get over your initial shyness, it usually becomes easier.

*It is considered good manners that if you post an excerpt to please respond to other people's excerpts with even just a small bit of feedback. Thank you!

**When posting excerpts, please do not post a wall of text. We appreciate double-spacing for readability. Gaia tends to eat formatting, so tabs WILL disappear if you use them. You may have to manually double space your excerpt before posting it for everyone to read. Again, we very much appreciate this.

Any additional questions can be posted in the thread. We're always happy to help!

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

UPCOMING WRITING EVENTS

KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR JADE CHALLENGES

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

WEEKLY PROMPTS

Rules of the Prompts:
- You don't have to post your prompt responses in the thread, but go ahead if you would like to!
- Prompts won't always fit in the flow of your universe. Feel free to write a short AU and use it as character/plot/setting/etc development!
- Responses can be as long or short as you would like them to be.
- Prompt doesn't fit your universe? Tweak it until it does!
- Have buttloads of fun. Or else.

This Week's Prompt:
ON HIATUS FOR CAMP NANO

Previous Week's Prompts
Week 1: Reveal a character's frustrations! Write a short passage on a character dealing with life's stresses, be it lashing out unduly, venting to other characters, beating the pulp out of punching bags (or enemies), however they tend to release the pressure...or what happens when they try to ignore it.
Week 2: Your character unexpectedly encounters something that's creepy or gross or disturbing...or all three.
Week 3: Your characters switch bodies for an hour. What madness is this? How do they cope?
Week 4: Your character finds themselves in a humiliating situation. They do not recover gracefully.
(Prompt courtesy of Al)
Week 5: Your character is killed during your story's events or directly after. They are resurrected or reincarnated 100 years later. How do they find out? How do they react?
Week 6: Your character is faced with a difficult choice, and are left wondering if they made the right one.
(prompt courtesy of Al emotion_yatta )
Week 7: A character gets knocked unconscious. When they wake, they have acquired a serious case of amnesia. How do they, and those around them, cope?
(prompt courtesy of Belle)
Week 8: A character gets so ill they must rely on another to take care of them.
Week 9: A character has a near death experience!
Week 10: Your character wakes up from a horrifying nightmare...and they're not alone.
Week 11: Love is in the air. Write a wedding ceremony.
Week 12: Somebody close to your character dies suddenly. Describe their reaction.
Week 13: Your character gets gussied up in fancy clothes for an event.

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

Helpful Links

Boost your word count!
Write or Die - A useful tool that kicks your butt into writing, or suffer the consequences. There is a downloadable version and a free web app if you scroll down the page.
Written? Kitten! - The soft, fuzzy version of Write or Die where you get rewarded for writing with adorable kitty pictures! What more could you ask for?
FORCEdraft - Get. Dat. WORDCOUNT! scream
4thewords - Suggested and given the seal of approval by xXRed Moon VampiressXx.

Plotting?
Mini Scenario Generator Get a quick prompt for character 1 and character 2!
The Snowflake Method - A detailed method for plotting your novel! I haven't used it, but know plenty of people who are trying it out.
Virtual Coin Toss - My personally most abused link. When I need to make a quick decision or decide between two options. Let fate decide (or better yet, realize you were really leaning toward one decision more than the other when you're upset about the results).
Random Generators - Need some help crunching out ideas? You will find a generator here that suits your needs. Includes the Mary Sue Litmus Test, not to be taken seriously, but fun nonetheless.

Characters!
Character Traits - Get to know your characters. Like, really know your characters.
Charahub - A place to upload character bios.
Fantasy Name Generators - Because coming up with unpronounceable, awkward, unique names is hard enough.

Everything else you might need
That Awkward Writing Moment - Trust me, you are not alone!
Liftlift - I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS YET, BUT IT LOOKS AWESOME!
Scribophile - Share your work!
Tablo - Create, publish, and discover great books.
Yarny Handy link is handy. Write your whole novel on this!
Prowritingaid - Writing/plotting aid!
How I Self-Edit My Novels - A handy-dandy blog all about editing!
House Plans - Need a floor layout? Check out real homes for inspiration! (I personally use this one a LOT for coming up with character house floor plans)

Anyone got good links? Quote me with them!

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN

User Image

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

OPEN FOR BUSINESS

User Image

Nuclear Werewolf

/bursts through the door in a hail of gunfire and explosions

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Revered Nerd

Weeee! We're back! Boom yeah baby!

Tiny Chibis's Partner In Crime

God Eater

*pops party poppers*

User Image

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

Ami - I read that as "pops party poopers." It made such a more interesting image in my head. xD

Mystical Dreamer

War leaves its trail,
In moonlight so pale...

~flops, in good mood because pokemon~

...Its shadows, they flow,
In rivers, in rivers...

Magical Lover

Congrats everybody! biggrin
I failed by about 40k. but.. I have amazing ideas for the project,.. And maybe I can start planning now, for next year. ahahaha.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff