PROMPT ROUND 0.17021276595745 17.0% [ 16 ]
Woot panda! 0.29787234042553 29.8% [ 28 ]
Total Votes:[ 94 ]

Dangerous Enabler

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Kevin stepped on my laptop and broke the screen. I had an unsaved word document open with my piece for this round on it. Oh well. It's off to repairs now. I'll be using my phone mostly now.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Writer Selbe
Wing McCallister

All right, firstly, I'd like to say that I didn't accept any prize money from Solar, and it's my fault, not hers. It was my fault for stupidly accepting a challenge when I couldn't properly execute it. I just kind of wanted to do it, and after looking up the word, I realized that it fit me in relation to the person I was talking about, not in the sense of a false rhyme, which I had hoped for, but in the sense of subject matter, as it was a personal poem.

Also, you're right about the flow. What I've recently tried to do is use the same amount of syllables in each line of a poem because I really don't understand a meter. I tried looking over a wikipedia article on it that PK gave me, but I just don't get it because I'm a stupid fifteen-year-old, lol. So, my point here isn't just to cry to you that I'm incapable but rather that I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction.

For instance, how exactly do I find the right flow? I feel like there's some sort of underlying, complicated code I don't know how to use. I try reading it aloud, but it sounds fine to me when I do but I know that's because I wrote it and I want it to be perfect and sometimes I can't see the flaws.

The thing is, I really, really, really want to be able to write good poetry and be able to compete with everyone else here. I used to only submit prose because I didn't think I could do any poetry, but now I don't want to submit anything else until I get it right. I think I'm stuck when it comes to this patch on flow, which sucks hairy monkey balls.

Bottom line after ridiculously long post: how do I learn to interpret and develop flow?
hey selbe, its cool. Wing was right and little mini prompts could cause a lot of confusion and trouble. I wasn't thinking about that. There is no need to shift blame from where it is due. All is well.

Dangerous Enabler

So, only this verse actually employs internal rhyme scheme, which can be a large part of flow. Almost everything else relies largely on held notes and some end-rhyme.

Urgency, emergency among us Urgency and emergency rhyme, and having more syllables in the second word imparts a sense of quickening pace and urgency, making that confluence work really well.
Life is in the crisis, tragedy's upon us Again with 'life is' and 'crisis,' also note that 'among us' and 'upon us' half rhyme. 'Us' of course will always rhyme with itself, but the -ong sound is also part of how we hear it.
And we won't leave you stranded
Rapidly we cometh And the 'ometh' part half-rhymes with the first two lines, and they have similar stressing.
To take you out the darkness
Show you where the sun is darkness and sun is have the same end sounds: rhyme doesn't have to be just one word.
Cries from the rubble
Are the voices this is sung with Sung with rhymes with cometh!

The rhyme scheme is fairly easy to follow all the way down - a a b c d d e c e c e d f d g d h d d i d j. After the first few lines of establishing a cadence and the sounds that will be repeated -- -eth, -ith, and -is, primarily -- there's a bit of a looser adherence to strict form. The repetition of 'right' also plays a role in the flow of it, as repetition usually does.

Try reading this to yourself without the music on - it flows really well into the same shape the music follows, right? This is a lot of what we're aiming for in poetry, except the context where people will encounter it is usually completely without music.

This is part of the reason rhyme scheme isn't preserved as much: most rhyme scheme puts things in a particular pattern. Like, limericks always sound a certain way because of the way the syllables are constrained.

Part of that is how form follows function: TLM writes a lot of free verse, with no, or no obvious rhyme scheme. It still has a definite cadence, though, indicated as usual with line and stanza breaks.

Now on to The Great Poet Mathers and PK's many feels thereabout.

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy Note repetition of 'wheh' 'wheh' 'wheh' sounds. Also two iterations of hard-vowel followed by 'ee' sound.
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti Only one iteration of 'eh' sound, but still two hard vowels followed by 'ee's.
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready to drop bombs,And strangely, nervous and surface are found to rhyme! As well as calm and bomb, with bomb underlining the confrontation nature of the situation because word choice is important.
but he keeps on forgetting what he wrote down, Transition to second general rhyme scheme, but there's still a hard vowel followed by 'ee' sound hidden in the middle of the line.
the whole crowd goes so loud Crowd/loud.
He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out This line is what empasizes that we're actually looking at primarily a mid-word rhyme scheme: the 'ow' sound in drown, crowd, loud, mouth, and out.
He's choking how, everybody's joking now Choking and joking as well as a continuation of the 'ow' scheme with 'how' and 'now.'
The clock's run out, time's up over, bloah! Cadence is slightly faster in this one, which is a good reflection of the material.
Snap back to reality, Oh there goes gravityAnd the first and second parts of this line have the same number of syllables, and we're back to the hard vowel followed by 'ee' sound scheme, as well as this particular line having the 'ity' sound, just to reinforce it.

Continuation of the stanza has more of the same, but also includes the word 'rhapsody.'

That's important because the way he enunciates it sounds like he's just going to say 'rap,' which is what it is. But rhapsody (rhap·so·dy/ˈrapsədē/
Noun:
1. An effusively enthusiastic or ecstatic expression of feeling.
2. A free instrumental composition in one extended movement.)

is also really perfect word choice here, and is a half-rhyme with the earlier-used 'Rabbit, he.'

And I got kind of caught up and talked more about rhyme scheme than cadence, but they are part and parcel: having internal rhymes makes things flow more easily, as does repetition. Note that not all the lines are the same length syllabicly: part of that is that in English, not all syllables take the same amount of time to say, and some parts get more emphasis than others.

Dangerous Enabler

Alternate title for the above post is "In which PK spends more time analyzing rap than she ever did on classic poetry"

Muzeu's Wife

Magical Girl

14,725 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
The Solarised Night
Soulfulness
Can I enter? c:

Nah, Wing just likes to confuse people by saying it's a writing contest. Really, it's an awesome panda sex party emotion_awesome The only submissions he takes are human souls.
sad That's animal abuse! Lemme go get my brother so I can donate a soul, though. wink
Soulfulness
The Solarised Night
Soulfulness
Can I enter? c:

Nah, Wing just likes to confuse people by saying it's a writing contest. Really, it's an awesome panda sex party emotion_awesome The only submissions he takes are human souls.
sad That's animal abuse! Lemme go get my brother so I can donate a soul, though. wink
lol
Just stopping by to see how the competition is going. biggrin
It is exciting. razz

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Soulfulness
The Solarised Night
Soulfulness
Can I enter? c:

Welcome xd

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Dangerous Enabler

Joachim, you should enter.

Solar, that image is showing as broken.
Broken images suck.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Eh sorry about that. It displayed on my screen for a bit but something obviously went wrong on the next screen load. Sometimes gaia blocks images.

It was a haiku
Five syllables here
Seven more syllables there
Are you happy now?
Writer Selbe
Wing McCallister

All right, firstly, I'd like to say that I didn't accept any prize money from Solar, and it's my fault, not hers. It was my fault for stupidly accepting a challenge when I couldn't properly execute it. I just kind of wanted to do it, and after looking up the word, I realized that it fit me in relation to the person I was talking about, not in the sense of a false rhyme, which I had hoped for, but in the sense of subject matter, as it was a personal poem.

Also, you're right about the flow. What I've recently tried to do is use the same amount of syllables in each line of a poem because I really don't understand a meter. I tried looking over a wikipedia article on it that PK gave me, but I just don't get it because I'm a stupid fifteen-year-old, lol. So, my point here isn't just to cry to you that I'm incapable but rather that I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction.

For instance, how exactly do I find the right flow? I feel like there's some sort of underlying, complicated code I don't know how to use. I try reading it aloud, but it sounds fine to me when I do but I know that's because I wrote it and I want it to be perfect and sometimes I can't see the flaws.

The thing is, I really, really, really want to be able to write good poetry and be able to compete with everyone else here. I used to only submit prose because I didn't think I could do any poetry, but now I don't want to submit anything else until I get it right. I think I'm stuck when it comes to this patch on flow, which sucks hairy monkey balls.

Bottom line after ridiculously long post: how do I learn to interpret and develop flow?
yeah, i had my long a** post as well but apparently Gaia decided to gobble it up twice and me being the genius that i am forgot to copy paste onto a notepad. twice. so here's my ridiculously long post.

anyways, rhythm can't be learned in one day because i have been learning and developing my own since '03. holy smokes that's 9 years! i'm not bragging, i'm just telling you that i started to listen to music like Eminem and i really liked his flow, his word choice, his clever rhymes and impacting imagery, and his music, the instrumentals were kick a** (Lose Yourself for example). i started to look him up on the internet and bought his albums, first The Marshall Mather LP, then The EMINEM Show. then, i just started to broaden my musical spectrum onto other rappers such as Tupac, Biggie, Big Pun, Nas, the Wu-Tang Clan, Mobb Deep, Jay-Z, DMX, and i never stopped listening to them. after a while, i started to write some of their lyrics into a little notebook of mine which i still have because those lines where some of my favorites or i could relate or there was something connecting me deeper than what was in those lyrics. by the time i started to write my own poetry, i didn't realize it, but i was influenced heavily by rhyme schemes, meters, rhythms, all sorts of assonance, alliteration, internal rhymes, slant rhymes, half-rhymes from these rappers and then i started to develop my own. i still haven't developed my own style since i still consider myself an amateur poet, but i can tell you that flow will be a big part of my style because of my influences.

besides that, whenever i wrote down the exact lyrics to songs, such as this excerpt form "Pyrex Vision" by Raekwon from his album Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx Pt II (here's a youtube link):

It's all in the eyes of the hungry
It's all for the wise and the humbly, the rise came upon me

wow, i wonder what the rise is?

actually, i don't really know but i wonder a lot and that's when i experiment and i start to write my own version of what each phrase or word could mean; i have spent entire days, from morning until night, writing down lyrics i liked and then coming up with my own interpretation and i also try to follow the flow that was set as a precedent and continue to follow it until i feel a switch is necessary or i run out of flow and then i start from scratch with the same flow.

the lights were abundant
the darkness responded and flickered in torment

see? it doesn't make sense at this point because it's raw and i just came up with it but i could come up with an entire poem by the end of the day and i would leave the editing for another day. that's how i started and how i continue to develop my flow.

that's not the only way but it seems like if you struggle with flow it's because you try to write a poem that makes logical sense or is coherent but then try and force rhymes into it instead of letting a natural rhythm take over and throw coherent plot in a narrative poem to the winds.

and if you wondered, yeah, i edited it a little bit so that it would make sense and tried to follow the flow as well. here's the result:

like when lights are abundant
the darkness responds with a flicker of torment

i gave a meaning to the word rise a little bit; if i kept going, i could really turn it into something, i don't know what but the possibility is there and i can follow the flow and i can come up with good imagery due to all the things that the rise could mean, the lights could be, and what would be affected by such things; i don't know, this is all speculation and i think we both have the imagination to create some great poetry. you just gotta write it.

by the way, listening to some good rappers isn't the only way to draw a better flow; i mean sure, rap is great for rhythm, but to really get into it, you should also read lots of poetry with good rhythm. unfortunately, my poetical taste isn't fond of rhythmical geniuses except for Ogden Nash, but hey look up on the internet rhythmic patterns and poets who write them. again, you can do the same thing that i did with Pyrex Vision with poems; it's a little harder because they don't have music and someone to say it, but you should read it out-loud with a rhythmic instrumental in the background, especially an extremely lone one that doesn't end, and you should start seeing some results as your mind will start racing with imagination. now the problem is to write it all down, lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff