GGW XI Playoffs 0.085106382978723 8.5% [ 8 ]
Due AUGUST 15 0.12765957446809 12.8% [ 12 ]
PROMPT ROUND 0.17021276595745 17.0% [ 16 ]
Woot panda! 0.29787234042553 29.8% [ 28 ]
Total Votes:[ 94 ]

Aris_#5
2pound
Aris_#5
Now that I know what a taboo all caps is, I definitely won't be going there again. And I can be sure to take it out of the actual novel itself, haha! xd
Stop right there! All caps can be used as a literary device to add emphasis, change the type writing in your novel, or etc. Just 'cause you misused it doesn't mean you should give up on it. Keep an open mind and don't give up!

Just between us two, I've read some MANPOETRY where every word is capitalized. Props to Felix.

Manpoetry? Haha, I'm intrigued. xd
had to do a little digging but....

FOR YOUR READING DISPLEASURE.

Spoopy Bun

23,300 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
2pound
Aris_#5
2pound
Aris_#5
Now that I know what a taboo all caps is, I definitely won't be going there again. And I can be sure to take it out of the actual novel itself, haha! xd
Stop right there! All caps can be used as a literary device to add emphasis, change the type writing in your novel, or etc. Just 'cause you misused it doesn't mean you should give up on it. Keep an open mind and don't give up!

Just between us two, I've read some MANPOETRY where every word is capitalized. Props to Felix.

Thanks for digging. That was entertaining, and certainly different. biggrin
Aris_#5
2pound
Aris_#5
2pound
Aris_#5

I've seen some s**t during my time in the OP/L. I've seen poetry in binary code. I didn't get it but it's there.

Anyways, the point I was making is don't give up on all capping. It's a technique you can use to your advantage. You just gotta experiment and never give up.

Invisible Conversationalist

Wing McCallister

All right, firstly, I'd like to say that I didn't accept any prize money from Solar, and it's my fault, not hers. It was my fault for stupidly accepting a challenge when I couldn't properly execute it. I just kind of wanted to do it, and after looking up the word, I realized that it fit me in relation to the person I was talking about, not in the sense of a false rhyme, which I had hoped for, but in the sense of subject matter, as it was a personal poem.

Also, you're right about the flow. What I've recently tried to do is use the same amount of syllables in each line of a poem because I really don't understand a meter. I tried looking over a wikipedia article on it that PK gave me, but I just don't get it because I'm a stupid fifteen-year-old, lol. So, my point here isn't just to cry to you that I'm incapable but rather that I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction.

For instance, how exactly do I find the right flow? I feel like there's some sort of underlying, complicated code I don't know how to use. I try reading it aloud, but it sounds fine to me when I do but I know that's because I wrote it and I want it to be perfect and sometimes I can't see the flaws.

The thing is, I really, really, really want to be able to write good poetry and be able to compete with everyone else here. I used to only submit prose because I didn't think I could do any poetry, but now I don't want to submit anything else until I get it right. I think I'm stuck when it comes to this patch on flow, which sucks hairy monkey balls.

Bottom line after ridiculously long post: how do I learn to interpret and develop flow?
Writer Selbe
Wing McCallister

All right, firstly, I'd like to say that I didn't accept any prize money from Solar, and it's my fault, not hers. It was my fault for stupidly accepting a challenge when I couldn't properly execute it. I just kind of wanted to do it, and after looking up the word, I realized that it fit me in relation to the person I was talking about, not in the sense of a false rhyme, which I had hoped for, but in the sense of subject matter, as it was a personal poem.

Also, you're right about the flow. What I've recently tried to do is use the same amount of syllables in each line of a poem because I really don't understand a meter. I tried looking over a wikipedia article on it that PK gave me, but I just don't get it because I'm a stupid fifteen-year-old, lol. So, my point here isn't just to cry to you that I'm incapable but rather that I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction.

For instance, how exactly do I find the right flow? I feel like there's some sort of underlying, complicated code I don't know how to use. I try reading it aloud, but it sounds fine to me when I do but I know that's because I wrote it and I want it to be perfect and sometimes I can't see the flaws.

The thing is, I really, really, really want to be able to write good poetry and be able to compete with everyone else here. I used to only submit prose because I didn't think I could do any poetry, but now I don't want to submit anything else until I get it right. I think I'm stuck when it comes to this patch on flow, which sucks hairy monkey balls.

Bottom line after ridiculously long post: how do I learn to interpret and develop flow?

My honest suggestion... take a song, and write to it. Flow is a tricky one. You're not stupid. You're young, have time, and put most writers your age to shame. Poke 2# for pointers and see what happens, but I highly suggest taking to music. Rap -- dare I say *shudders* -- is practically founded upon flow. Rock and blues have beats too. You could spend a lot of time studying the 'theory of meter', but in many ways that doesn't necessarily help you. Write to a song. Read it aloud with the song (karaoke version off youtube is a good way to go), and see if the magic is there. Poke your critiquer to the youtube karaoke and see if that person gets it. Hell, even poke me to the karaoke if you go that route and see if I get it (while I'm judging). That's the game plan I would adopt.

Wing McCallister

Mmkay, that sounds good to me....

Wait... does this mean I can submit a song I wrote with me singing with attached lyrics as a submission? 'Cause that would be awesome. I be teaching myself piano, and I do a mean clarinet....
Writer Selbe
Wing McCallister

Mmkay, that sounds good to me....

Wait... does this mean I can submit a song I wrote with me singing with attached lyrics as a submission? 'Cause that would be awesome. I be teaching myself piano, and I do a mean clarinet....
It's been done in the past. The attached lyrics part should be obvious. razz

Wing McCallister

Sounds awesome to me. I got my school to loan me their filming equipment over the summer, so this might be interesting. I was thinking about submitting a script for GGW and using it to make a movie to show that I wasn't just checking out the cameras to screw around. Maybe I'll just make a lazy documentary on alternative teen culture....

Dangerous Enabler

I learned a s**t-TON about meter and flow from Allen Ginsberg, Jay-Z, and Eminem. Try to acquire all of the above where your parents won't observe.

Also when I am really stuck on flow sometimes things with heavy bass-lines help.

But I am a flow addict.

Which is why I have so many feelings for songs like Lose Yourself and Run This Town.

For me, I find that when I read the theory, I can think of examples from real life, so I didn't provide examples. Here is my rap and hip-hop playlist. Note use of end-rhymes, half-rhymes, and how held notes, which work in singing but not poetry, make certain lines work better in terms of meter.
2pound
Aris_#5
2pound
Aris_#5
2pound
Aris_#5

I've seen some s**t during my time in the OP/L. I've seen poetry in binary code. I didn't get it but it's there.

Anyways, the point I was making is don't give up on all capping. It's a technique you can use to your advantage. You just gotta experiment and never give up.
Just... don't do it here. lol

phantomkitsune

... Can I use Mike Shinoda instead, lol?
I'm very surprised by the level of discussion from critiques during GGW. It is refreshing to see whining replaced with actual desires to improve.

Dangerous Enabler

Writer Selbe
... Can I use Mike Shinoda instead, lol?

Nope! Inadequate misogyny.

Also he doesn't use internal rhyme scheme quite the same way.

I'm gonna go put together a comparison thingy with inflection and meter markers. Brb.

phantomkitsune

What happened to when teens could write nonsensical, shitty poems about how much they hated their lives and everyone would say it was amazing, lol...
I killed that Selbe. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces