Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
OK, as promised, here's the deck I made up using Agrus. It's a soldier themed deck with soldier themed enchantments and some soldier themed instants. Brightflame is in there mostly because of the Boros reference and the handiness of flash frying Vampires. it's a nice deck for breaks at work as it moves fast and simple, good for those 10 minute coffee breaks. Wins fast or loses fast, it's all good!

Land: 21

4x Mountain
11x Plains
2x Battlefield Forge
1x Sacred Foundry
1x Arid Mesa
1x Rugged Prairie
1x Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

Planeswalker: 1

Ajani Vengeant

Creatures: 27

1x Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
1x Catapult Master
2x Preeminent Captain
2x Longbow Archer
2x Enlistment Officer
3x Veteran Swordsmith
2x Ranger of Eos (NEEDS MOAR FIGURE OF DESTINY)
2x Rhox Pikemaster
1x Elite Vanguard
1x Daru Warchief
1x Aven Brigadier
1x Benalish Commander
4x Boros Recruit
3x Boros Swiftblade
1x Taurean Mauler (Not a soldier, yet it is!)

Instants & Sorceries:

1x Master Warcraft
1x Captain's Maneuver
3x Boros Fury-Shield
2x Brightflame
1x Honor of the Pure
1x Glory of Warfare
1x Shared Triumph
1x Glorious Anthem

I don't think I need to really say much on strategy. It's a WW wannabe with some cheap global creature pumps as well as soldiers that pump up other Soldiers. I'm thinking I might turn this into an EDH deck that is Soldier themed if I can get enough people here interested in doing this.

I was pondering about seeing if the others want to add a Planeswalker spin to the thing, but not all players have Planeswalkers which is too bad. I thought it would put an interesting twist on things but I won't know for now. Oh well. I'd gladly lend the few I have out (Ajani Vengeant, Chandra Ablaze, Garruk Wildspeaker) to help out, but not sure if I can even talk them into trying Elder Dragon Highlander.

So, comments/criticism/praise/flames are appreciated. I know this is not my usual shenanigan style of deck. I'm hoping it'll mostly make for fast games at work. But feedback is always appreciated.

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
New deck I built loosely based on the U/B cards I posted a few weeks ago. It's a different mix than that one, but I'm curious how each will do.

Lands: 19

1x Salt Marsh
1x River of Tears
1x Dreadship Reef
2x Sunken Ruin
1x Underground River
1x Arcane Sanctum
7x Swamp
5x Island

Creatures: 21

2x Riptide Shapeshifter
2x Dimir Doppelganger
3x Shifty Doppelganger
2x Aetherplasm
1x Progenitus
1x Clone
1x Dralnu's Pet
1x Infernal Spawn of the Infernal Spawn of Evil (Foiled for my pleasure!)
1x Phage the Untouchable
1x Phyrexian Infiltrator
1x Royal Assassin
1x Teferi's Imp
1x Sakashima the Impostor
1x Reiver Demon
1x Cemetery Puca
1x Volrath the Fallen

Instants/Sorceries: 20

3x Doomblade
3x Assassinate
2x Recoil
2x Rite of Consumption
2x Diabolic Vision
2x Diabolic Tutor
3x Rise From the Grave
2x Mind Control
1x Lim-Dul's Vault

Deck Size: 60

The original basic concept is there. I Destroy your creatures to steal or copy them from the graveyard to beat you with your own beasties. If necessary, I can sac them to deal damage and gain life. I can fast play Progenitus through the Shifty or the Riptide. Phage is there mostly just to cause issues with some of the new players I've been teaching as I thought it would be funny.

Personally, it seems like the deck lost focus compared to the one from a few posts ago. Almost like I'm trying to do too much, you know?

What do the rest of you think if you compare them? Which seems to be better? I plan to run this current one tomorrow when I go for games, but some opinions would be very nice.

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
Well, I tried it out both ways. The one posted above works well for multiplayer as I have repeatable abilities.

I ended up taking out some stuff though to toss in Counterspells, Consult the Necrosages, Recoil, Clutch of the Undercity. There's better stuff I could put in to make this better, but for now I'm testing it to see if it's worth my time continuing this U/B build or if I should try something different.

Changes went like this:

-1 Riptide Shapeshifter
-2 Aetherplasm
-3 Assassinate (the Sorcery speed bothers me)
-2 Rite of Consumption
-2 Diabolic Tutor

+2 Recoil
+3 Counterspell
+3 Clutch of the Undercity
+2 Consult the Necrosages

If I do continue this build, other improvements that are necessary include a more consistent means to retrieve the creatures I want instead of just topdecking (Diabolic Tutors are still set aside for this. Still trying to find a means to get some Demonic Tutors), more powerful Creatures with better abilities than what a few in the deck have to offer. Namely Phage is something I'm wanting to remove.

I'm looking at getting more Clones, though the downside of going with some things in this deck is what I do against builds that have either weaker creatures or very few creatures. I simply don't have much I can do if the opponent isn't putting big creatures into their graveyard of putting them into play for me to copy. This will be exceedingly detrimental to the deck in some games. I'm thinking I could toss in Rite of Consumption against just so I can sac my own large creatures to deal direct damage, though that is relying on the idea those creatures will actually stay in play long enough to sac. I have severe doubts on this once it gets to Game 2.

To be honest, it works sub par, even for a Casual deck. It relies too much on the critters the opponent is playing to create a Win Condition, which isn't a good thing to be relying on. I do like the idea of using the shapeshifters to copy creatures the opponent controls or that are in any graveyard, as multiplayer tends to see a lot more Fatty action because of the longer game play.

Perhaps I should find a easy to cast means of larger creatures myself so I can Clone those instead. I already have 4 Legendary Creatures in the deck out of about 18 Creatures. I'll have to see what I have for possible substitutions. Maybe a Sphinx of Jwar Isle. Clone doesn't actually target it, per say, so it can become it. Jwar is also harder to kill. That might be a good addition in comparison to something like Phage. By at least several Miles. Makes a good drop from the activated ability of a Shifty Doppelganger too. Hmm...

The current amount of control I have going with the Counterspells, Doomblades, Clutch and Mind Control is causing some grief with the other Casual players in the group though. I know I shouldn't cater to the crowd, but I don't want to be a total a** either. Out of 12 players, probably 9 of them have started playing in the last couple of years, and of those 9 probably 3 of them have knowledge of the rules that is well above average. Teaching them new things is good and all, but being a total jerk about it will just cause issues.

Some days I really hate playgroup politics.

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
Here's a question I'm hoping someone could answer. I'm not familiar with EDH so I am not sure about it.

I want to use Scion of the Ur-Dragon as my Commander, seeing as how I own several singletons of many different dragons. What I was wondering is, if I use Ur-Dragon's activated ability to make it become another dragon, would it still deal damage to the Commander Life total a player has, or since it's no longer called Scion of the Ur-Dragon would it merely deal damage to the normal life total?

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
Previous post answered in another thread(Ur-Dragon is still a Commander), so I'll work on that deck when I know I'll have a few opponents to contend with.

Bought six packs of cards. 3 M10 and 3 Zendikar to build a sealed deck. Here's what I cracked:

Lands: 2

Soaring Seacliff
Jwar Isle Refuge

Artifacts: 6

Coat of Arms
Trusty Machete
Carnage Altar
Whispersilk Cloak
Adventuring Gear
Ornithopter

Blue: 10

Mindbreak Trap
Tome Scour
Zephyr Sprite
Unsummon
Spreading Seas
Paralyzing Grasp
Trapfinder's Trick
Cancel
Alluring Siren
Spell Pierce

White: 14

Armament Master
Righteousness
Pacifism
White Knight
Glorious Charge
Veteran Armorsmith
Makindi Shieldmate
Kor Outfitter
Pillarfield
Nimbus Wings
Cliff Treader
Stormfront Pegasus
Lifelink
Angel's Mercy

Green: 16

2x Bountiful Harvest
Oakenform
Oran-Rief Recluse
Khalni Heart Expedition
Giant Growth
Fog
Birds of Paradise
Llanowar Elves
Runeclaw Bear
Overrun
Windstorm
Zendikar Farguide
Tajuru Archer
Relic Crush
Tanglesap

Black: 18

Doomblade
Tendrils of Corruption
Vampire Aristocrat
Weakness
Giant Scorpion
2x Crypt Ripper
Guul Draz Vampire
Marsh Casualties
Needlebite Trap
Grim Discovery
Quest for the Gravelord
Balas Ged Thief
Bog Tatters
Vampire Bite
Howling Banshee
Acolyte of Xathrid
Sign in Blood

Red: 17

Earthquake
Yawning Fissure
Kindled Fury
Jackal Familiar
Lightning Elemental
Shatter
Inferno Trap
Torch Slinger
2x Burst Lightning
Murusa Pyromancer
Demolish
Zektar Shrine Expedition
Bladetusk Boar
Burst of Speed
Berserkers of Blood Ridge
Prodigal Pyromancer

Total: 84

OK. Quite the mix this time around. I got crap that deals with Kor and crap that deals with Allies...but very few of each. Dammit. Coat of Arms doesn't look like it'll do much off the bat either.

There's no obvious heavy hitters in here. Nothing too fancy. instinctively I thought of B/R/G, but there's some interesting W and U as well.

I'm going to have to go over this again later, when I'm more awake. I'm interested in seeing what others would do for a Sealed deck though.
Without question I go B/R. Doom Blade, Tendrils, Marsh Casualties, Torch Slinger, Inferno Trap double Burst Lightning, and Earthquake! It almost just does not matter what the rest of the deck looks like. You also should play Trusty Machete and Whispersilk Cloak.

A little creature light, though, but with your equipment, anything you play is a huge threat.

Dedcadent Pants

I agree; definitely R/B. The removal component in that is just so strong.

Sadly, this is one of the few times I'd consider Ornithopter as a legitimate card, but it'd be pretty far down on my list of includes.

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
I'm inclining to agree. The more I looked at the R/B aspect the more I liked it.

The Green had some decent stuff. To be honest, I think it was mostly the birds and the Khalni that were making me want green. I'm a sucker for mana and land fixing. The R/B should play pretty decent.

Going three colours would probably bode very ill though and the rest of the Green just isn't worth it.

But the Birds weep so sitting off to the side.

Here's what I came up with last before I crashed:

Lands: 16

8x Mountain
8x Swamp

Creatures: 10

Guul Draz Vampire
Torch Slinger
Prodigal Pyromancer
Bladetusk Boar
Berserkers of Blood Ridge
Lightning Elemental
Giant Scorpion
Ornithopter
Crypt Ripper
Howling Banshee

Artifacts: 2

Trusty Machete
Whispersilk Cloak

Enchantments: 3

Quest for the Gravelord
Weakness
Zektar Shrine Expedition

Instants/Sorceries: 9

Marsh Casualties
Sign in Blood
2x Burst Lightning
Tendrils of Corruption
Vampire's Bite
Doom Blade
Earthquake
Inferno Trap

Total: 40

Pretty straight forward. I have all the burn and removal I had between the packs and tossed in what few creatures there were with the equipment. I feel I should put another land or two, but to do that I feel Lightning Elemental and Sign in Blood might have to be removed. Would that be wise putting it up to 18 lands? Overall the costs are fairly low, though there are about 8 cards that have a CMC 4+ (counting Earthquake) which may require the extra land slots.

Dedcadent Pants

I'd ditch the Quest for the Gravelord - you only have 11 potential creatures, so that's close to 25% of them having to have entered play and then died.

Instead, I'd use that second Crypt Ripper of yours.

I'd also be inclined to pull Weakness for Needlebite Trap, but that's due to the Trap working well for me.

Sixteen lands seems fine; you don't have a lot of Landfall abilities, and my 16 land Release deck did just fine when it had a few Landfall abilities.

CrazyAlien8's Husband

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
LiaThistle
I'd ditch the Quest for the Gravelord - you only have 11 potential creatures, so that's close to 25% of them having to have entered play and then died.

the quest does count the opponent's creatures too, every kill spell is a potential counter on it as well. I think it's nearly as good as another body in r/b. i'd cut the thopter for the ripper.

Dedcadent Pants

SporkMaster5000
LiaThistle

the quest does count the opponent's creatures too, every kill spell is a potential counter on it as well. I think it's nearly as good as another body in r/b. i'd cut the thopter for the ripper.

Right, right, forgot about that. Good catch/call.
Lands (17)
Soaring Seacliff
10 Swamp
6 Mountain

Artifacts (2)
Trusty Machete
Whispersilk Cloak

Noncreature spells (12)
2x Burst Lightning R/4R
Quest for the Gravelord B
Doom Blade 1B
Grim Discovery 1B
Sign in Blood BB
Inferno Trap 3R/R
Tendrils of Corruption 3B
Marsh Casualties BB/3BB
Earthquake XR

Creatures (10)
Guul Draz Vampire B
Prodigal Pyromancer 2R
Torch Slinger 2R/3RR
Vampire Aristocrat 2B
Giant Scorpion 2B
Bladetusk Boar 3R
2x Crypt Ripper 2BB
Howling Banshee 2BB
Berserkers of Blood Ridge 4R

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
Hmmm... I see. So I should remove the Ornithopter despite the fact it has flying for the Ripper which can be pumped more and has Haste.

Getting rid of the Zektar Expedition makes sense, seeing my low land count means I probably won't set it off. I didn't think of that when I tossed that in. Silly me. I'll remove that for the other Ripper.

Looks like it would do pretty decent. The amount of removal should help a lot.

I'll look over Needlebite Trap again. It seemed like it cost a bit much to me, but it could help end a game which would make it worthwhile. Removing the Lightning Elemental seems like the best choice to do that.

I'm not too sure on the Soaring Seacliff. The Blue mana would be useless if I drew it early game. The Flying for a turn later on might be helpful, but is it really worth putting in?

Dedcadent Pants

Again, Needlebite is probably not an optimal choice; I just have a slight fondness for it in limited because it won me a game or two on the Release day. Really, the card is crap.

As to the Seacliff, that's your call. Apparently, Megiddo would have put it in, but I would have skipped over it for a lower land count and greater threat density. But, then again, I'm notorious for low land counts (...16 lands in the Zendikar release...), so take that with a grain of salt.
Seacliff is questionable. We don't have too many creatures, though, and a seacliff on a Crypt Ripper really should just seal up a game. I also severely de-emphasized red, just keeping in the burn and the splashable berserkers. If anything, I would trade the seacliff for a mountain, since we do want to hit double red eventually.

Unlike most ZEN limited, I'm going with 17 lands, since we don't have much landfall. For that reason I didn't run the gear.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff