Welcome to Gaia! ::

PotO in Paris! Yea or Nay?

Yeah dude! 0.48583877995643 48.6% [ 669 ]
Nope 0.064633260711692 6.5% [ 89 ]
Who cares? 0.2236746550472 22.4% [ 308 ]
FRENCH CAST ALBUM NEED 0.22585330428468 22.6% [ 311 ]
Total Votes:[ 1377 ]

I don't know how else to say this, so I'll just copy my Tumblr post.

OH MY SWEET ERIK WHAT EVEN JUST HAPPENED.

I am in shock. Phantom tonight was amazing. That was the best Phantom I’ve ever seen. Jeremy was AMAZING and Sara was AMAZING and I mean FRICKING HUGH!!!! I rememer him being awesome the first time but this time I REALLY WATCHED and just WOW. ASLDKFJ. I am in total awe of everything. (I swear I got off a little to MotN.) And then the supporting cast was also amazing - sweet Meg and sassy Mme. Giry and hilarious Carlotta understudy and hilarious managers and everyone and just UGH SO GOOD.

Then I went and stagedoored and got Jeremy and Sara’s autographs and added all the understudies to my Erik collection but… no Hugh. So I went and asked someone if he had already left and it turned out to be PEARLETA his makeup artist!! And she was SO NICE and she gave me her phone number and told me to call on Wednesday so she could take me backstage!?!?!?!?!

In shock.

Obsessive Kitten

Ela I envy you. And pictures. If you're allowed to, tons of them.

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
Oh my god, Ela, you scored big time!!

Take all the photographs!

The Erik plush dolls remind of the Phantoms on the Simpsons that one time.

http://i.imgur.com/Xrs9Qx3.png

http://i.imgur.com/jBM1UuE.png

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Ela - I would kill for that! Backstage is my life!!

On a non-phantom related topic: What the heck? When did Gaia update?
TODAY IS THE DAY OMFE MUST NOT SCREW UP MUST NOT SCREW UP

I will get pictures if I'm allowed to. I will get so many pictures. Possibly a video.

Also, Pearleta told me some valuable information when talking to actors, especially in special situations. Whatever you do, DO NOT SOUND LIKE A STALKER. If you've seen the show or the actor a bunch of times, do not say how many! Don't reference really obscure stuff that they did years ago - I think I got away with mentioning "overstudies" to Jeremy Stolle but do not count on them being cool about it. Stick to compliments and single-time praise and maybe a few questions or Phantom references or I don't know about criticisms and make them feel GOOD, not SCARED.

I have an Erik plushie too! I got it from the Leroux Erik Plush Project when they were still around. He has such a puppy face~
User Image

Oh, and in other news, I saw Diana Damrau yesterday. She was seriously the happiest diva I have ever seen.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Ela - have bushels of fun!! And, they same the same thing about meeting with movie actors. Just be a normal person - they are normal people too.
Holy Leroux in Paris today was amazing. First of all, Hugh. Pearleta sent me a message saying that he wouldn't really have time to talk or anything... but I saw him. He was dashing out so no photos or autographs or anything and I managed to shout after him "I JUST WANTED TO SAY YOUR PERFORMANCE ON MONDAY WAS PERFECT!!!" and he was SO SWEET about it! He actually thanked me more times than I thanked him! So that was great.

Then... backstage. ASLDKFJSDLKJF. I saw Hugh's dressing room with his most important costumes and got to meet Soot who was just freakin' adorable. Then I saw his makeup room and Pearleta actually talked me through what she does to Hugh's face - while she's waiting during the show she gets the next show's prosthetics ready! Then she took me down under the stage to see the candelabra storage, very awesome. On the way I saw a huge wall full of pictures of previous Phantom actors, with a section specifically blocked off for the original cast. They have costume racks everywhere backstage because there are so. many. costumes so I got to see a bunch of them (but no touchy, obviously). Then we went onto the stage and I saw the organ (there is a real keyboard on there), a bunch of sets (which are hoisted up above the wings because there's nowhere else to put them), the masquerade steps (condensed and hung from the ceiling!), the masquerade dummies (preeeeetty), the throne (I'm sure all of you know how it works), and of course the CHANDELIER. And then, after feeling the thrill of being on the stage of the Majestic theater for a while, we left... and she promised to mail me a playbill signed by Hugh~

I took quite a few pictures, but the only ones I'm allowed to post are:

User Image
^ teh organ

User Image
^ me and the very chandelier that figures in the famous......... disaster

User Image
^ me and one of the nicest people on earth

All in all, experience of a lifetime.

EDIT: I almost forgot, the Erik collection got a pretty sweet update too!
User Image
Left: Unknown Y/K actor, Hugh Panaro, Paul Schaefer, James Romick, Jeremy Stolle, Cooper Grodin, Greg Mills
Right: Jason Mills, Braxton Peters, John Cudia, Tim Martin Gleason, Laird Mackintosh

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
ELA!!!! That is sooo awesome!!!

Storage space above the stage must be more useful than any other place in the building. smile

Obsessive Kitten

It sounds like you had an awesome time, Ela. I'm so glad you got that opportunity, even if Hugh was scarce. She was very nice to invite you to something like that!

In other news I came across a supposed 1st edition English version of the Leroux novel yesterday. I couldn't find anywhere in the book where it stated its printing run or year and the spine looked like some rats got to it. All I know was it was young enough to have a photo from the 1925 film in it. I would have bought it just for collection purposes but they were asking too much for the tattered condition it was in. I should've taken pictures but I didn't know the store's policy on that.

Oh and I found a music box version of Angel of Music. Located here and there's a link in the about section on where to download the mp3 for free, legally. It's pretty.

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
Oh totally, Ela won the lottery of finding special people to hook you up with that backstage experience! It looks really awesome.

I wish there were PotO music boxes that play more than just MotN. Angel of Music is quite pretty.

Obsessive Kitten

The Monkey one plays Masquerade. But seriously they ALL play MotN? Boring.

So does anyone have any opinion on the black Phantom? (I forget his name) There's a video going around where he sings part of MotN with Webber playing the piano and he sounds pretty good, deep voice, but I imagine it's hard to tell until he's on the stage acting. I'm really curious how they'll make the deformity stand out.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
It's annoying that the majority of the boxes play MotN. I have a statue of Christine and Raoul embracing during AiAoY, with a glass Phantom in the background, it should play AiAoY, or AoM, but instead it plays MotN. Frustrating.

Oh, Norm Lewis. I've seen that clip. I love his deep voice. He played Javert in the recent Les Mis concert with Ramen, then King Triton in Little Mermaid (where Sierra Boggess played his daughter - totally phantom phail). I'm iffy about him being phantom, but he's way better than Jobeck. It should be a great cast.

OH! I also heard that Sarah Brightman was going to play Carlotta for a while on Broadway too!? Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Obsessive Kitten

Brightman as Carlotta? I'd pay to see that. She's grown so much vocally since she last was in the Phantom world, I don't doubt she could do it.

Yes! Norm Lewis. God I'm bad with names. And yeah that set up is pretty awkward, phandom wise. I'm just curious to see how he does and what he can bring to the table.

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
Oh yes, the monkey. Can you image if that one played MotN too?

I haven't heard about Brightman as Carlotta, though I haven't really been searching too hard for any Phan news...

It' will indeed be interesting to see what Lewis brings to the role of Phantom.

Edgiest Knife

43,715 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
Bleeding Art
The Monkey one plays Masquerade. But seriously they ALL play MotN? Boring.

So does anyone have any opinion on the black Phantom? (I forget his name) There's a video going around where he sings part of MotN with Webber playing the piano and he sounds pretty good, deep voice, but I imagine it's hard to tell until he's on the stage acting. I'm really curious how they'll make the deformity stand out.

I think Norm's range is a bit lower than most Phantoms. But I'm sure he can pull it off, why cast him if he can't? (He's also the actor who made me like Stars, that song was always naptime when I'd see Les Mis.) As far as the deformity, I used to have a pic of a news anchor from NYC made up as the Phantom, and he was black, and it worked. I wish I could find it again... emo

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff