Yeah dude! 0.48583877995643 48.6% [ 669 ]
Nope 0.064633260711692 6.5% [ 89 ]
Who cares? 0.2236746550472 22.4% [ 308 ]
FRENCH CAST ALBUM NEED 0.22585330428468 22.6% [ 311 ]
Total Votes:[ 1377 ]

Blessed Hunter

Catherine_de_Silver
EllieAyla
I screamed for a moment, realizing there's a Phantom of the opera thread. Never expected to find one, let alone one with this many pages.

We had another one that was longer once.

Welcome to the phandom!

Ugh such a shame it got lost.

Thank you a lot! Must admit I'm still discovering the Phantom of the Opera as it goes, but Ramin Karimloo as the phantom and Sierra Boggess as Christine made me fall in love with the Broadway show. I plan on picking up the movie soon!

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
EllieAyla
Catherine_de_Silver
EllieAyla
I screamed for a moment, realizing there's a Phantom of the opera thread. Never expected to find one, let alone one with this many pages.

We had another one that was longer once.

Welcome to the phandom!

Ugh such a shame it got lost.

Thank you a lot! Must admit I'm still discovering the Phantom of the Opera as it goes, but Ramin Karimloo as the phantom and Sierra Boggess as Christine made me fall in love with the Broadway show. I plan on picking up the movie soon!

The old thread wasn't lost - just tagged differently. (I believe you can still go check it out - read all the random shenanigans we got into.)

Oh. For movies - ASK before you watch certain ones. There are some adaptations that are great - others not even the hardcore phans will touch with a 9000000-ft pole. (Webber's version is okay to start with.)

Rallier

Westice's Honey Bun

Obsessive Bibliophile

28,575 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Am going to have a chat with Pete Bregman today-- author and artist of one of my favorite bits of published phan-fiction, the graphic novel The Trap-Door Maker-- and ask him his opinion about various aspects of Leroux's novel and about his personal style. Super-pumped.

If anyone has anything they'd be interested in knowing from him, feel free to tell me! =D

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Fluxit Aqua et Sanguine
Am going to have a chat with Pete Bregman today-- author and artist of one of my favorite bits of published phan-fiction, the graphic novel The Trap-Door Maker-- and ask him his opinion about various aspects of Leroux's novel and about his personal style. Super-pumped.

If anyone has anything they'd be interested in knowing from him, feel free to tell me! =D

That is amazing! I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of his book since learning about it. .... I don't really have any questions. Have fun!

So - who's excited for the original staging coming back for the World tour?
And it's hitting Hawaii again too.
I am alive!

For people who don't know I own a wig, beauty supply, fx makeup, and costume shop in New York State, and it ate me for a while! In September we moved that store and all of it's contents across town. Then it was halloween and a new space, which of course took all my time. Then on November 11th I got MARRIED which was nuts. Then it was Thanksgiving. Then a bit of christmas prep which is still ongoing. Mixed in with the chaos of life itself normally. BUT I AM HERE.

I was in a restaurant yesterday and at one point they started playing some instrumental version of Music of the Night I had never heard before and it reminded me of you guys and I had to come tell you all!

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
The Opera Toast

Holy crap - you were busy! That is amazing! So many congratulations!

Do have access to that version anywhere?
No! Unfortunately I didn't recognize it and I didn't have my phone with me to record it!!! It's gone forever!! I'll have to hunt through YouTube later and see if I can see it. What.

Westice's Honey Bun

Obsessive Bibliophile

28,575 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Just popping in to note that I watched the 1989 Robert Englund version of The Phantom of the Opera the other day. And that I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Anyone have any opinions on it?

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Fluxit Aqua et Sanguine

I love the music from that one. It was more opera....and the whole idea of it was cool. I think they did a really good job. RE was excellent as Erik.

Westice's Honey Bun

Obsessive Bibliophile

28,575 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Catherine_de_Silver

I agree! I was very pleased with the amount of Faust that was in it. Speaking of, I wasn't sure what I'd think about the plot point of Erik selling his soul to the devil-- I thought that seemed too melodramatic even for The Phantom of the Opera-- but it was integrated with enough delicacy that I didn't find it at all obtrusive.

I really enjoyed Robert Englund's performance, too. My favorite thing has to be the fact that they included some lines from the original novel, as inconsequential as that may sound. It was super-cool hearing the line about the 'wedding mass or the Requiem mass' in a different context.
emotion_dowant

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Fluxit Aqua et Sanguine
Catherine_de_Silver

Anytime an adaptation goes through lengths to quote the actual book gives it a point boost in my view. It was a darker version, more Penny Dreadful less Rom-Com.

I forget though, did they have the scorpion and the grasshopper in this one? I vaguely recall seeing it.

Westice's Honey Bun

Obsessive Bibliophile

28,575 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Catherine_de_Silver
"more Penny Dreadful less Rom-Com."

YES. I enjoyed that bit immensely. One reason why I'm kind of sad that the Lloyd-Webber version dominates the popular perception of The Phantom of the Opera: I miss the horror. There's a bit of it, but it was to me so much more integral in the book, particularly in re: Christine's feelings towards Erik.

I shouldn't start talking about this. My mind isn't at its best right now, and I will undoubtedly say something that generalizes too much or simply doesn't make sense. But, to sum up, the horror in that version was very pleasing.

No scorpion and grasshopper that I could see, sadly. But you remind me of one of my favorite Easter Eggs in Pete Bregman's book, in which there's just scorpion and grasshopper statuettes hangin' out amidst Erik's stuff.
cat_whee
I actually like that version quite a bit. And a lot of it is just I think Robert Englund has an incredible way of delivering lines that I think in anyone else's hand may seem far too melodramatic.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Ironically (with the previous commentary) - I was speaking with a co-worker and we were discussing the Re!Phantom. He seemed surprised that I even knew what it was. Naturally (and because he's slightly annoying) I schooled him a little (and politely) about the other versions out there.

Also - does anyone have any cast albums of musicals they'd be willing to share? (I have a few I wouldn't mind swapping or some-such.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff