Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
The Almighty Ali
Well done, Not every guy on gaia is a ******** metrosexual.

lol
Exactly.
I like my men gritty, dammit.

Eco-friendly Shapeshifter

21,915 Points
  • Hiss of Love 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Waffles! 25
As much as I like kawaii-cutesy things, I'd love some gritty other things too. Even for a female avi. ;

Inquisitive Bibliophile

Catalyste
You know...there are times where I wish Lanzer would not answer. He just made a really sexist statement with that. Does he even realize he just said "because they are girls they will make girl things" (to paraphrase)? Because that's what it amounts to when you break it down.

You can't possibly take every project into careful consideration when you've been neglecting the other half of the userbase. Demands for masculine items haven't been drowned out or dwarfed by feminine requests. They've been largely ignored.

If your female staff can only handle girl stuff, then it's time to bring in some big boys who can handle the masculine stuff. Lanzer has clearly told us "it's because they're girls."

Which is a shame...since some of our best masculine items have come from prominent female artists! stare

emotion_awesome Ding! Ding! Ding! *hands you a congratulatory bouquet*

I honestly cannot believe Lanzer fell back on the "They're all gurlz!" argument. Seriously? What...do their delicate, girly little fingers rot off if they try to draw something that doesn't involve lace and pastels? Noooooooooo. Not only do these ladies often have some pretty manly boys in their private art galleries but we do, actually, get nice masculine items sometimes.

The gender of the artist has nothing to do with what they CAN draw. And, frankly, what they LIKE to draw--regardless if it's because they are male or female--really shouldn't have that massive an impact on the sorts of items produced. (I'm not saying artist preferences shouldn't come into play at all because who wants an art team cranking out stuff they hate, 24/7? Not me. Not only does that make for a crabby art team, but it usually makes for ugly items, too.)

The lack of balance in items has nothing to do with artist gender or capabilities. I really wish people would stop regurgitating that excuse. emotion_donotwant

Versatile Explorer

8,975 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tycoon 200
Finding good masculine items has always been a challenge. It became especially prevalent during the SOF Taiga debacle, if anyone remembers. They exist, sure, but maybe 1 out of every 4 items are male, 1 unisex, and 2 female. (And the male sets don't have shoes, but that's a different matter entirely.)

hopeisnowhere

fxxkin demon

I cannot agree more.

I am so glad to see more of these threads popping up in Site Feedback. Maybe they will actually listen. I mean it's not like we want them to change focus, no, we just want a little acknowledgment for our avatars. And facial hair. Proper facial, none of these weird beards.

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
sometimesalways
I cannot agree more.

I am so glad to see more of these threads popping up in Site Feedback. Maybe they will actually listen. I mean it's not like we want them to change focus, no, we just want a little acknowledgment for our avatars. And facial hair. Proper facial, none of these weird beards.
Yeah, I don't understand what's so hard about making sideburns and stuff. x.x Like, we have stubble yes but there are different types of stubble length and darkness--and come on--the grogain facial hair stubble and some of their hairs are just horrible pairing to the skin tones. x.x

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
AKB0048
While there's a couple sets that I can think of that I want, but we don't have... I actually wouldn't say the selection is all that bad. It was pretty bad say 4 years ago.

It would be nice to see some more variety though. I have started threads with some more concrete suggestions (basketball and football uniforms pls), but I'm too lazy and too busy to upkeep them.

By the way- A male artist being better or more willing to draw male items is totally ******** bullshit. It's like everyone got a brain tumor and forgot about V0, L0cke, and o_8.

...VO and o_8 don't work for Gaia any more and haven't for a while. (and o_8 did tons of female stuff, but he was also awesome enough to add Anurla to Alruna's Rose which I will forever love him for)

fxxkin demon

Awenita
sometimesalways
I cannot agree more.

Yeah, I don't understand what's so hard about making sideburns and stuff. x.x Like, we have stubble yes but there are different types of stubble length and darkness--and come on--the grogain facial hair stubble and some of their hairs are just horrible pairing to the skin tones. x.x

I have a decent collection of facial hair and most of it is unusable.

Questionable Beards are very questionable. I don't think I have seen anyone put together a decent look with it. If you want a decent beard on Gaia you better like the color black 'cause that is all you get it. One can cobble together a red beard with the Dappy Dandy but that's about it. Stubble? It's the cowboy or Gary's Adventure Island. Gro-gain is an okay item but some of the goatees and beards layer wrong. I mostly use mine for the body hair.

Right now I would love a greying/white beard that didn't make me look like an old wizard. That's isn't too much to ask right?
i use and always have used femine base / items since i've been on this site (as early as 2005 on another account) and i've ALWAYS seen this issue come up

A+ for you dammit, they should start doing something about this and it comes too late, but at least...MAKE IT HAPPEN!

people should NOT be restricted to looking overly girly
( i actually find it easier to make a female avi more manly than a male avi look manly enough >.> )

Decayin[g]_Sou[l]'s Significant Otter

Demonic Hellhound

Sorry for not voicing my approval of this thread yet, but here it is.

Hell yes, to all of this.

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Lazarus Larkin
...VO and o_8 don't work for Gaia any more and haven't for a while. (and o_8 did tons of female stuff, but he was also awesome enough to add Anurla to Alruna's Rose which I will forever love him for)

Yeah, but o_8's favorite thing to draw was sexy ladies and if I remember right, V0 also drew a lot of hentai. Hell, L0cke did the Masquerade which is pretty much the makeup item on Gaia. But OP's assertion that "they should fire some of the artists" and hire more male artists won't really do s**t. Not to mention that most of the artists for Gaia are contract artists to begin with.

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
AKB0048
Lazarus Larkin

Yeah, but o_8's favorite thing to draw was sexy ladies and if I remember right, V0 also drew a lot of hentai. Hell, L0cke did the Masquerade which is pretty much the makeup item on Gaia. But OP's assertion that "they should fire some of the artists" and hire more male artists won't really do s**t. Not to mention that most of the artists for Gaia are contract artists to begin with.
The statement was clearly sarcasm for point making at how silly firing artists and hiring new ones would be as well; just to make sure that's clarified.

Witty Genius

AKB0048
While there's a couple sets that I can think of that I want, but we don't have... I actually wouldn't say the selection is all that bad. It was pretty bad say 4 years ago.

It would be nice to see some more variety though. I have started threads with some more concrete suggestions (basketball and football uniforms pls), but I'm too lazy and too busy to upkeep them.

By the way- A male artist being better or more willing to draw male items is totally ******** bullshit. It's like everyone got a brain tumor and forgot about V0, L0cke, and o_8.

Awenita said the whole "hire guys" thing as a response to why there are so many girly items being made, which was "because they're girls", but she has acknowledged that there were females who did create items for the male base. Also, she said that being female is no excuse for not creating male items, and that they should step out of their comfort zone. I think OP mentioned the whole "hire guys" thing as a last resort, since she did bring it up more than once, and she said it after saying to get the artist to work out of their comfort zone the second time around.

Edit: ignore the whole last resort thing, lol

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Awenita
AKB0048
Lazarus Larkin

The statement was clearly sarcasm for point making at how silly firing artists and hiring new ones would be as well; just to make sure that's clarified.

I see. When I read it, I didn't see of it as sarcasm. Thank you for clarifying though.

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
AKB0048
Awenita
AKB0048
Lazarus Larkin

I see. When I read it, I didn't see of it as sarcasm. Thank you for clarifying though.

No prob.

"Or you know, the women could pick up the slack and draw some masculine items. It's what you're paid to do after all, yes? Heck, don't dump a few female artists, just level the playing field, or at least keep it level in the future. This is the frustration we as users who crave masculine avatars feel though. "

That is what I truly feel, everything before it was implying what generally comes to mind as a possible reaction and generally the common reaction. "Oh? Too many women? Well fire some and hire some men to balance out." kind of thing when it doesn't HAVE to happen.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff