Welcome to Gaia! ::

I too,have noticed this ,we males get s*** out of luck on clothes.on gaia,in the store,and even on tv (tv clothing lines ) basically if they could do away with us, they would,

Buggy Mage

Thank you for posting this. I totally agree and support. When will they start applying this feedback, is what I'm wondering. gonk
In this months rig the girls got high quality art for their items.'Luxurious Elizabeth' with a huge level of detail and shading,Three gorgeously detailed SDPlus wigs for girls all with great detail and shading. All that and the high-value guy item ('Virgil Rosenthal') has less real quality than both the Civil Soldier items. I'm serious because if you compare the two, you'll see that the soldier items both have shading similarities with 'Luxurious Elizabeth'.

Virgil, though densely detailed is a flatter item in terms of shading (belts aren't sufficiently shaded, and neither are the metallic embossments) than the very affordable civil soldier items, or the Wizard's Gala recolor. Which puzzles me.
What I mean by shading are the highlights that distinguish depth or what parts are closer or farther. Without it, things look painfully 2-d. this is very apparent when comparing Virgil's cape to his coat. Never mind his hair. (metallic texture was perfectly accomplished in the 'Confidential Mustard' item.)

Some might say this is because it Virgil is such a densely detailed item it could not be brought to the same level as Elizabeth but Elizabeth is a very complex item too.
I can appreciate girls items even though I don't use them because they are at such a high level of skill no one can deny this fact. But Its frustrating because we very rarely see that kind of effort applied to guys items. xd

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Awenita

No prob.

"Or you know, the women could pick up the slack and draw some masculine items. It's what you're paid to do after all, yes? Heck, don't dump a few female artists, just level the playing field, or at least keep it level in the future. This is the frustration we as users who crave masculine avatars feel though. "

That is what I truly feel, everything before it was implying what generally comes to mind as a possible reaction and generally the common reaction. "Oh? Too many women? Well fire some and hire some men to balance out." kind of thing when it doesn't HAVE to happen.

I think it would have to do with whatever the style of the artist is. Some like kawaii uguu stuff. Others like huge titties.

But well, I imagine that if you're going to have a position open for sprite work for a dressup site, most of the people who apply are probably going to be female. If you know of any who like to draw like bara men or I guess really into more modern fashion for men, you could probably refer them when Gaia opens up positions for contract sprite artists.

Dapper Flatterer

7,100 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
User Image

"...

Even for someone like me who wanted a more bishounen look, this avi was really hard to make. I thought there would be more male dapper dress for Gaians but there's really not, ESPECIALLY when compared to how many dresses there are - emotion_donotwant
Also I don't know how many other male avi users have this problem, but I'm almost constantly having to find ways to avoid having a midriff with my male outfits/tekteks. I don't usually have this problem with female avis, but ALL THE TIME with this avi. A lot of male items we do have don't seem to even fit the male base very well from my experience - User Image

..."

Fluffy Trash

*slow clap*
I know I'm not the only one who thinks this and if that was the excuse then they should hire some artists that focus on males then. I watch a couple of artists that focus on masculine art and they're both female and male. ninja

Kuyusi's Partner

Apocalyptic Trash

I tried to make a male avatar one time, couldn't do it. The items lacked so hard for what I wanted to do and it seemed like too much of a chore to make a male one. It wasn't up to my standards like a female avatar would be so I gave up. I have attempted several more, but just can't work with the items we have because to complete looks I needed other items.

I'm all for more male items, especially shoes, accessories, etc. We need a major update for them badly. If I want a male base I want it to look as good as my female avatars. :/

Spiritual Recalibrator

33,440 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
StrawberryZ0mbie
Catalyste
You know...there are times where I wish Lanzer would not answer. He just made a really sexist statement with that. Does he even realize he just said "because they are girls they will make girl things" (to paraphrase)? Because that's what it amounts to when you break it down.

You can't possibly take every project into careful consideration when you've been neglecting the other half of the userbase. Demands for masculine items haven't been drowned out or dwarfed by feminine requests. They've been largely ignored.

If your female staff can only handle girl stuff, then it's time to bring in some big boys who can handle the masculine stuff. Lanzer has clearly told us "it's because they're girls."

Which is a shame...since some of our best masculine items have come from prominent female artists! stare

emotion_awesome Ding! Ding! Ding! *hands you a congratulatory bouquet*

emotion_awesome

Seriously though: emotion_brofist

Spiritual Recalibrator

33,440 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
The Almighty Ali
Well done, Not every guy on gaia is a ******** metrosexual.

lol

I can't tip this enough! crying
personally i have never found there to be a lack of clothes for males over the years i have been on gaia i have used 100's of outfits and never once have i found a feeling of not having enough clothes to choose from

are you sure your just not too picky in your ideas? and fyi i have found that if an item is not available i can make a nice simulation by putting 2 items together

Witty Genius

II BP13 II-XIII_SSC
personally i have never found there to be a lack of clothes for males over the years i have been on gaia i have used 100's of outfits and never once have i found a feeling of not having enough clothes to choose from

are you sure your just not too picky in your ideas? and fyi i have found that if an item is not available i can make a nice simulation by putting 2 items together

There are certain fashion styles, staples and themes that are missing from this site when concerning items that are created for strictly the male base in mind. Also, there are existing items that aren't as well made to the level of excellence as female items. And, even though there are those who can make decent male avatars with whatever is there, if you took a look at the ratio between what's available for strictly feminine avatars and what's strictly available for masculine avatars, the numbers are so skewed in favour towards the females.

If you look at existing threads, you'll see what they're asking for, and see what they're asking for is either missing, few in number, or comes up as a straight disappointment. Facial hair, for example, has been a disappointment because there are very little colour choices, and the design of the facial hair is simply not what they're going for. Not everyone who wants to wear facial hair wants to look like weird beard.

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
II BP13 II-XIII_SSC

Teko laid the law dude.
I wanna be a massive beefcake moms don't want their daughters dating, not a twinkling mess. Again; not a general male population fashion thread, it's specifically geared towards a strictly non feminine gritty male based lifestyle fashion that gaia has more than neglected over the years.

Let me refer you to a new request thread that sums up the problem.

Anxious Friend

Since starting in 06 I've always always had a male avi. Never been a problem for me though because I like girly boys anyways and that translated to my avi. Finally switched genders about two months ago and it's baffling the difference in items that are more appropriate for a female base than a male.

Although I personally don't use super masculine items, Gaia really REALLY needs to fix this problem. They need to stop ignoring the fact that there are people on here that want dirty men items. Scuffled beards, sweat, blood, I've worked hard and want a beer now items!!

You'd think with as much special treatment the minorities are getting lately they'd give some majority some new stuff too. Because even if men are the minority on this site it sure does seem like the want for manly items isn't a minority.

Dapper Dabbler

Bishie Tuxedo Mask
*snip* A lot of male items we do have don't seem to even fit the male base very well from my experience *snip*

This is actually because (and this may not still be the policy), but when Juno was in charge many of the items were drawn FOR the female base and adjusted or just wholesale pasted onto the male base. It was a really lazy way to do things (and a**-backwards, if you drew them for the male base and then adjusted for the female base you'd be just pushing pixels inward instead of having to add more or looking awkward).

The idea that 'artists are women and therefore only like drawing feminine things' is one of the stupidest things Lanzer has ever said, and if that is how Gaia is being run it's not just stupid, it's irresponsible. Can you imagine being a graphic artist and telling an employer "I'll work for you, but I only like drawing girl stuff, okay?"

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
There are men on the artist team? lol I thought it was a bunch of skirts that hated pants all this time.

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
Apparently there are men on the team.

I don't know what they are doing; but there apparently are. They probably got sucked into making lady clothes too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff