Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
My fanfiction

I write a lot of Shadow Hearts and Koudelka fanfics, however there is one particular fic on my list that is parasite eve.
Clare_N
Mind you, there is a fine line between offering constructive criticism and telling someone what to write and what not to write. If, for example, a writer in the "Pokemon" fandom was working on a story about a girl and her Skitty and someone posted a review along the lines of:

Quote:
May I offer a suggestion? Lose the Skitty ASAP 'cause Skitty sucks. Maybe Jane could dump it at the nearest Pokemon Centre. Next, have her get a GOOD Pokemon - I recommend Charizard.

that would amount to telling the author what they should and should not put in their story. It's phrased more eloquently than your average "U SUCK!" flame, but the hypothetical reviewer is basically bossing the author around by telling them which Pokemon to give the main character.

I agree that there is a fine line between concrit and telling someone what to write. In those cases, the laughable rule of "if you don't like it, don't read it" applies somewhat. If you don't like a certain pairing or a certain Pokemon, and you know you won't be able to tolerate it even if the story in which it is incorporated is written well, then don't bother reading. You'll only bring grief and stress to yourself, the author, and the readers.

@Demonic Rosebush: I haven't had time to read your stories in depth yet, but I can tell you that there are some generic formatting flukes that FFnet induces upon its writers. These flukes include mushed together paragraphs and words.

Wheet.
Faded Seaside Glamour

I agree that there is a fine line between concrit and telling someone what to write. In those cases, the laughable rule of "if you don't like it, don't read it" applies somewhat. If you don't like a certain pairing or a certain Pokemon, and you know you won't be able to tolerate it even if the story in which it is incorporated is written well, then don't bother reading. You'll only bring grief and stress to yourself, the author, and the readers.

Not to mention the fact that you'll run the risk of that person blocking you from reviewing their work

Dapper Dabbler

Quote:

Not to mention the fact that you'll run the risk of that person blocking you from reviewing their work

you can do that? I forgot about that..hm.. I should read everything more carefully..
i just started fanfiction and it is soo cool! i'm about to post a story on Chrno Crusades there blaugh
My pennname is th same as my Gaia name. I mostly write Sonic the Hedehog fanifiction but I am finnishing neither. But I am working on a Dungeons and Dragons fanfiction. You can check out my profile here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/190746/
My penname is Nixinox, same on here (www.fanfiction.net/~nixinox). I love fanfiction, especially HP ones, which I write.
Well hello. Interesting discussion you've got going on here. I have a whole slew of thoughts, philosophies and deconstructions of the fan fiction world, but I won't bore you with them here. Instead, I will offer a quick and dirty guide to my criteria for whether I read a fanfic or not. It all has to do with the author's stated (or sometimes unstated but still clear) reason for writing the fic in the first place.

"I just thought it would be cool."
I'm not reading it.

"I wanted to get (insert two characters who are probably of the same gender but are not homosexual as far as we know and have never shown any attraction to each other) together."
I might read it to see if it's worth bookmarking so I can show it to other people and we can laugh at it. It's mean, I know, but for some stories that's really the only way they're going to get publicity.

"I wanted to continue beyond the end of the source material."
Hmm, better, but still pretty vague. I probably won't read it.

"I wanted to explore [a character's] background and history" or "I wanted to explain something about the source material's universe."
Not bad. Depending on the character and what I see from the first page or so, I might read it.

"I had an idea for a twist or a new angle that I thought would put [a character, story point, an event or whatever] in a new light."
This will definitely get my attention because it's so rare to see. And I'll give any such fanfics at least three chapters to hook me in the rest of the way.

So in conclusion, my feeling is that most fan fiction sucks because most of the authors don't have any good reason for writing the story. They can't even explain their reasons beyond some variation of "I just thought it would be cool, don't you think it would be cool?" But if they've taken the time to think about why they're writing this story, then the chances are pretty good they've taken the time to think about plot, characterization and flow as well.

Incidentally, I have a number of fanfics, but I'm not going to just post a profile and expect you all to come swarming in. Let's face it, you don't really care about the fact that I have an account at FF.net and have published a thing or two. So instead, I'll just present one story. Seems like a lot of people here like anime, so how about a Love Hina fic? It's a one-shot set long after the anime because a fact of life is relationships and feelings change a lot over a long time. I thought it would be interesting to see how the passage of time can change the characters we know.

If you're interested in that junk story, click the link.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2647159/1/

Go ahead. Rip it apart. I'll probably thank you for it.

Quotable Prophet

Um...is it just me, or has anyone else had problems with ffnet over the weekend?

It seems no matter how many times I go there or when, I can't get very far without getting a screen saying

1. "TCP Error detected. Servers could be overloaded at this moment. Please try again later."

2. "Request Timeout
This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server. If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this web site to increase 'Connection Timeout'."

3. That some error has occurred and to contact the administrator.

or

4. A blank page.

So is it just me, or is there something wrong with the site?
*chuckle*

There's always something wrong with the site. It also likes to randomly eat my punctuation when I'm uploading stories. Then I have to go through it sentence by sentence to make sure nothing's screwed up.

But yeah, their database seems to have problems lately. I guess that's what you'd expect with a database that big.
Hey, my pen-name of fanfiction.net is Kagomes-Wish. Although, I'm contemplating changing it. I usually write Inuyasha fanfictions, but I've also got some Chrno Crusaide and .hack//SIGN stories in the works.

Eloquent Player

10,675 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conversationalist 100
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/923124/

I only have one story up so far, and it isn't easy to read... dang tab thingy won't work. And I don't know how to add chapters or edit Stories after submission. mad

Hilarious Gekko

I used to love ff.net, but it's REALLY starting to annoy me lately. I can understand why they would ban lemons/nc-17 fics, and MST's, but why in the world did they have to ban song-fics? And why, pray tell, did they go and boot MINE off when there are clearly fifty-jillion other songfics, some of which are very VERY poorly written (which none of mine were).
Not to mention, nobody can write in script format anymore, or include *asterisks, or = equals signs, or ^ anything @ like # that! Argh! They took all the fun out of writing! They must've booted something like ten of my stories off of their stupid website just because they were script format or were songfics. stressed

Here's my page.

I've been with the site for five years, and have 48 stories posted (although it should be more like sixty...stupid ff.net!! Argh!!). Most of my stories are romance (since the majority of my humor stories got booted off when they decided to ban script-format), and 11/48 of my stories are Inuyasha, making that the majority, I guess. I also have some Excel Saga, Final Fantasy VII, Slayers, and Digimon stories.
FANFICTION.NET!!!
that site is awesome i have an account on there....
i love it and most off the writers are awesome!
are most of you members on it?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces