Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hat-tori
Is it only for Anime? (FFN, I mean)

FF.net? Oh hell no! FF.net is for anime, cartoons, movies, music, books, TV shows, comics, etc., etc. Go check it out and you'll see.

Eloquent Player

10,675 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conversationalist 100
nezumitako
Hat-tori
Is it only for Anime? (FFN, I mean)

FF.net? Oh hell no! FF.net is for anime, cartoons, movies, music, books, TV shows, comics, etc., etc. Go check it out and you'll see.

Because I posted a Warcraft Fanfic here, at the fanfic section here, and noone has noticed it. just wondering...
I got a couple of fics at FFnet, but all they're all anime related: Furuba or Slam Dunk.

If NE1 is interested they can go to: http://www.fanfiction.net/~whitemeteor to check it out.
Hi! My name's Miya and i'm a french writer. Maybe someday i'll try to write english fictions but for now, it's only in french sweatdrop

I write about Harry Potter and that's all for now. sweatdrop

You can look here:

http://fanfiction.net/~lastheaven
hehe. I'm Pink_Eraser here and Pink Eraser on FFN. I'm so obsessed with fanfiction.

I'm currently working on Harry Potter and Furuba. I also want to write REAMS of Alanna/George (Tamora Pierce) cause I cannot find ANY of that stuff.
FFnet has always been the Pit of Voles, but it's even more noticeable now. Canon (established character personalities and facts from the original creation) goes there to die, and rabid, vapid fanbrats go there to drool over hot actors who play the otherwise shrimpy characters and do godawful self-inserts where they make out with Tom Felton, Orlando Bloom, and Johnny Depp (who play Draco Malfoy, Legolas, and Captain Jack Sparrow, respectively).

The FMA fandom is full of badly characterized and badly written fics -- romance in particular. I could take the names Roy Mustang and Edward Elric out of any given Roy/Ed fic, replace them with Donald Duck and Daffy Duck, and the fic would still make sense. The Mary Sues and Gary Stus that have infiltrated are atrocious. We've got half-naked female Ed lookalikes gallivanting and rubbing their asses against Roy and Ed in love triangle fics, and capable fifteen-year-old military leaders who kill the Fuhrer for moral reasons. Fifteen-year-olds are still being hormonal and trying to get their lust object to notice them. Does anyone really think that they'd have the time and skills to be one of the best generals in the Amestris army, and be the best swordsman/sharpshooter on the continent?

The Harry Potter fandom is just as bad, if not worse, than the FMA fandom. Apparently, I missed the memo that JK Rowling sent out proclaiming that Hermione is supposed to turn into a slut and/or hot goth chick as well as a rude little b***h over the summer so that she can have fast and furious sex with Draco Malfoy, who frequently calls her a Mudblood (which is basically the equivalent of calling Colin Powell, the Secretary of State in the US a "worthless ******" wink . In order for those two to get together, both of them have to be replaced by pod-people And then we have the highly improbable daughter-of-Voldemort Sues that claim that Voldemort wasn't preoccupied with killing Harry at all, and was screwing with men and women alike like a hormonal rabbit.

FFnet is going to the dogs. Which really is an insult to dogs.
Faded Seaside Glamour
FFnet has always been the Pit of Voles, but it's even more noticeable now. Canon (established character personalities and facts from the original creation) goes there to die, and rabid, vapid fanbrats go there to drool over hot actors who play the otherwise shrimpy characters and do godawful self-inserts where they make out with Tom Felton, Orlando Bloom, and Johnny Depp (who play Draco Malfoy, Legolas, and Captain Jack Sparrow, respectively).

The FMA fandom is full of badly characterized and badly written fics -- romance in particular. I could take the names Roy Mustang and Edward Elric out of any given Roy/Ed fic, replace them with Donald Duck and Daffy Duck, and the fic would still make sense. The Mary Sues and Gary Stus that have infiltrated are atrocious. We've got half-naked female Ed lookalikes gallivanting and rubbing their asses against Roy and Ed in love triangle fics, and capable fifteen-year-old military leaders who kill the Fuhrer for moral reasons. Fifteen-year-olds are still being hormonal and trying to get their lust object to notice them. Does anyone really think that they'd have the time and skills to be one of the best generals in the Amestris army, and be the best swordsman/sharpshooter on the continent?

The Harry Potter fandom is just as bad, if not worse, than the FMA fandom. Apparently, I missed the memo that JK Rowling sent out proclaiming that Hermione is supposed to turn into a slut and/or hot goth chick as well as a rude little b***h over the summer so that she can have fast and furious sex with Draco Malfoy, who frequently calls her a Mudblood (which is basically the equivalent of calling Colin Powell, the Secretary of State in the US a "worthless ******" wink . In order for those two to get together, both of them have to be replaced by pod-people And then we have the highly improbable daughter-of-Voldemort Sues that claim that Voldemort wasn't preoccupied with killing Harry at all, and was screwing with men and women alike like a hormonal rabbit.

FFnet is going to the dogs. Which really is an insult to dogs.

I don't read that stuff b/c I'm not interested in it so I'm not sure if it's as bad as U claim. R U stating that all fanfics writers in those categories R like that? Don't generalized, maybe lots R like that but I'm pretty sure there's some good writers too. A fic doesn't have to be Canon to be good, it doesn't have to have a pairing U like to be good. But I agree w/ U on the OOC.

If U don't like it just don't read it, simple as that.
I'm an author, names Wah-Keetcha and I write/wrote a lot of beyblade and anime fics. Also got a few other ones up there. Havent been writing in a while but I might start back up again. Anyone else think their new rules are messed? I do, you can't respond back to reviewers? Personally I think that's crap but hey, whatever.

Blessed Fairy

Fanfiction has a lot of good fanfics, I'm Starscout42 I've got about 20 differnt stories sweatdrop Rurouni Kenshin mainly others are, Sailor Moon, Code Lyoko, and Zelda, Zoids, and soon to be an InuYasha story.
White Meteor
I don't read that stuff b/c I'm not interested in it so I'm not sure if it's as bad as U claim. R U stating that all fanfics writers in those categories R like that? Don't generalized, maybe lots R like that but I'm pretty sure there's some good writers too. A fic doesn't have to be Canon to be good, it doesn't have to have a pairing U like to be good. But I agree w/ U on the OOC.

If U don't like it just don't read it, simple as that.

I'm not stating that all fanfiction writers in those categories are like that. In fact, I'm not stating anything about the writers. It's the things that the writers are writing that I'm spewing out about. However, if the majority of the writers' works are horrible, then you can conclude that the writer is a bad one.

I agree that a fic doesn't have to be a pairing I like to be good. In fact, I have some of the most out-there favourite pairings that you can think of. However, a fic does have to adhere to canon in order to be good, because without the canon, it's not a fanfiction anymore. It's an original story with ripped-off names and settings.

Some people believe that slapping an AU label excludes them from having to adhere to canon. NOT TRUE. AU just means that you're taking the plot and characters into a whole other direction or dimension. Sure the plot will change, and perhaps the relationships between the characters will change, but the characters' personalities should remain relatively intact. After all, canon is just the established personalities of characters and, in non-AU cases, extends to the environment that the characters are in (for example, no fairies in Rivendell, or else Tolkien purists will have you beheaded).

If, however, the personalities of the characters do change (even just a little), there must be a clear and logical reason as to why their personality changed (and "I wanted them to have T3H HAWT SEX0RRZ with Character A" is not a clear and logical reason) somewhere near the beginning of the story, or else people will criticize -- and perhaps even flame you -- for having OOC characters.

As for the "if you don't like it, don't read it rule," that's basically nullified. Why? Well, I'm primarily a Ron/Hermione shipper, so when I like those types of fics. However, just because I like those types of fics and click on them, it really won't prepare me for seeing a badly written Ron/Hermione fic typed up all in l33t. I also read pairings I don't like, such as Draco/Ginny and Draco/Hermione, because a lot of those pairings have talented writers who write awesome fics. If I click on one of those fics, I'll be prepared for a pairing I might not like, but that doesn't mean I'm prepared for Hermione becoming a slutty Ho!Mione because most of those fics don't have a clear and logical reason for Hermione changing into a scarlet woman (and no, "she wanted to become more girl-ish and didn't want to become the smart bookworm anymore" is not a clear and logical reason -- I wanted to become less tomboyish, and it didn't mean I dressed like a slut and dyed my hair blonde -- it meant that I stopped wearing cargo pants and bothered to comb my hair once in a while).

Happy fanfiction-reading and -writing.

Lady_Katz_of_Ravensmoor
I think that Canon should be respected to a certain extent, not 'You HAVE to keep everyone in character, you HAVE to keep your plot a certain way'. That is taking it to the extreme. The website is called FanFiction, think about it. We, as writers on it, are not the author that wrote the book/movie/game/tv/whatever. We are FANS writing FICTIONAL pieces about a certain fandom. I personally think people make too big a deal out of cannon.

And I feel all this 'Mary Sue' nonsense has gotten out of hand. Both from the Mary Sue writers and the people who flame them. I have seen hate groups against Mary Sues and their writers and hate groups against people who hate the Mary sues! Its madness!

It is near impossible to write a romance story on fanfiction.net and not have it flamed by people telling you all the things wrong with it. Even though in most cases the flamers are correct in pointing out all the things wrong with the story but then again I can understand how the writes feel. 'Don?t like, don?t read and leave me alone about it'. If writers could come up with more original idea and flamers would ease up a bit, I think we could solve the problem.

I agree that canon should be respected up to "you have to keep everyone IC (in character) unless you have a damn good reason as to why they aren't (and "I wanted them to have T3H HAWT SEX0RRZ with this other character" is not a damn good reason -- it's a godawful one)" in AU, and if it's not AU, then it has to be respected up to what applies to AU and also "you have to consider everything that's happened in the plot, and write accordingly." You may be fans writing fanfictio, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't respect the events and characters that the author has created and it doesn't mean that you have the right to horribly mangle characters so they fit nicely into your masturbatory fantasies. Also, you might be writing fiction, but so is the author. If the author could give a damn about how good their grammar was or how realistically their characters acted, then you could too -- and you should. Canon is a big deal because about 95% of fanfiction writiers have no idea what it is.

Also, while the Mary Sue thing has gotten out of hand, I don't know why anyone in their right mind would defend a Mary Sue. Mary Sues are death to plots, because their perfection basically leaves the plot dry, dull, and predictable, and they're annoyingly perfect, ditzy, and their writers seem to think that dressing in miniskirts while it's winter in Scotland is a logical thing. Mary Sues might not be too bad, but their writers -- most of them lacking in common sense and English class attendance -- are beyond horrible.

It is not nearly impossible to write a romance fanfiction and not have people flame it. It is, however, nearly impossible to write ANY type of fanfiction and not have people give constructive criticism. You seem to be confused as to what a flame is and what constructive criticism is.

Flame: "omg u biotch ur storie sux a** nd ur c**t smells like hairy d**k"
arrow Flames are often badly spelled and tend to focus on personal attacks on the writer rather than the writing itself.

Constructive Criticism: "Your story has a lot of good stuff in it. I especially liked the way that the professor handled the awkward situation. However, your plot seems to be approaching a dead end, your spelling's less than stellar, and there is also no way to get things that run on batteries or electricity to work on Hogwarts grounds. I suggest that you proofread your writing before you post it, pay a bit more attention in English class, and get a beta, because the romance is totally going downhill and losing its spark, and the grammar isn't helping."
arrow In constructive criticism, or concrit, it is obvious that the reviewer put a lot of thought into the response and wants the writer to improve, or at least keep a few things in mind for the next chapter or the next story. It includes an encouraging compliment so that the writer doesn't break down in tears, but it also points out the flaws of the writing and a few pointers on how to improve it. It may come off as a bit harsh, but the reviewer's telling it like it is, and all the smart writers that do want to improve and become better writers thirst for constructive criticism.

Also, I bolded a statement of yours that didn't make sense. Did you mean "if you don't like it, don't read"? If you did, please read my response to what White Meteor wrote. If not, please explain.

Happy fanfiction-reading and -writing.
Quote:
I agree that canon should be respected up to "you have to keep everyone IC (in character) unless you have a damn good reason as to why they aren't (and "I wanted them to have T3H HAWT SEX0RRZ with this other character" is not a damn good reason -- it's a godawful one)"

Well, I totally agree with that. That is not a good reason at all but sadly a lot of people feel that it is.

Quote:
in AU, and if it's not AU, then it has to be respected up to what applies to AU and also "you have to consider everything that's happened in the plot, and write accordingly." You may be fans writing fanfictio, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't respect the events and characters that the author has created and it doesn't mean that you have the right to horribly mangle characters so they fit nicely into your masturbatory fantasies. Also, you might be writing fiction, but so is the author. If the author could give a damn about how good their grammar was or how realistically their characters acted, then you could too -- and you should. Canon is a big deal because about 95% of fanfiction writiers have no idea what it is.

I can understand you point on this 3nodding I guess that is why you are truly a fan because you respect what the author wrote enough to want to take the time to write something based upon it.

Quote:
Also, while the Mary Sue thing has gotten out of hand, I don't know why anyone in their right mind would defend a Mary Sue. Mary Sues are death to plots, because their perfection basically leaves the plot dry, dull, and predictable, and they're annoyingly perfect, ditzy, and their writers seem to think that dressing in miniskirts while it's winter in Scotland is a logical thing. Mary Sues might not be too bad, but their writers -- most of them lacking in common sense and English class attendance -- are beyond horrible.

Yes, I have no idea why someone would want to defend a Sue. But the worst part is that all the Mary Sue writers are all making the same mistakes with their perfect characters. You think they would learn from their mistakes and those of the other sue authors.

Quote:
It is not nearly impossible to write a romance fanfiction and not have people flame it. It is, however, nearly impossible to write ANY type of fanfiction and not have people give constructive criticism. You seem to be confused as to what a flame is and what constructive criticism is.

Maybe I worded it wrong, but I am defiantly aware of the difference between the two.

Quote:
Also, I bolded a statement of yours that didn't make sense. Did you mean "if you don't like it, don't read"? If you did, please read my response to what White Meteor wrote. If not, please explain.

Yes, thats is what I ment. I dont know what was going on with the question marks.
Faded Seaside Glamour

Flame: "omg u biotch ur storie sux a** nd ur c**t smells like hairy d**k"
arrow Flames are often badly spelled and tend to focus on personal attacks on the writer rather than the writing itself.

Constructive Criticism: "Your story has a lot of good stuff in it. I especially liked the way that the professor handled the awkward situation. However, your plot seems to be approaching a dead end, your spelling's less than stellar, and there is also no way to get things that run on batteries or electricity to work on Hogwarts grounds. I suggest that you proofread your writing before you post it, pay a bit more attention in English class, and get a beta, because the romance is totally going downhill and losing its spark, and the grammar isn't helping."
arrow In constructive criticism, or concrit, it is obvious that the reviewer put a lot of thought into the response and wants the writer to improve, or at least keep a few things in mind for the next chapter or the next story. It includes an encouraging compliment so that the writer doesn't break down in tears, but it also points out the flaws of the writing and a few pointers on how to improve it. It may come off as a bit harsh, but the reviewer's telling it like it is, and all the smart writers that do want to improve and become better writers thirst for constructive criticism.

Whereas, those Noobs who think they're God's gift to creative writing automatically assume that you're flaming them and start whining about how "mean" you're being - I've met a few people like that in my time. Mind you, there is a fine line between offering constructive criticism and telling someone what to write and what not to write. If, for example, a writer in the "Pokemon" fandom was working on a story about a girl and her Skitty and someone posted a review along the lines of:

Quote:
May I offer a suggestion? Lose the Skitty ASAP 'cause Skitty sucks. Maybe Jane could dump it at the nearest Pokemon Centre. Next, have her get a GOOD Pokemon - I recommend Charizard.

that would amount to telling the author what they should and should not put in their story. It's phrased more eloquently than your average "U SUCK!" flame, but the hypothetical reviewer is basically bossing the author around by telling them which Pokemon to give the main character.
So there.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~jalf

I'm a writer myself. Mostly HP, You can read them if you like. And I would love to hear if you like or dislike my fics.
wink
Hello^^
I guess shamanking isn't real big here... sweatdrop But still ^^it's a AWSOME Site!!! rofl

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff