I'll be nice, I promise. 0.23186237845924 23.2% [ 310 ]
I'm back for now, we're all good right? 0.14210919970082 14.2% [ 190 ]
Wait... What are you doing with that knife? 0.48765893792072 48.8% [ 652 ]
Total Votes:[ 1337 ]
< 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 1918 1919 1920 > >> >>> »|

De Kelley
Juxtaposed Images
Also another question for all of you.

How do you feel that the Transsexual community could be better represented by the government and by public education. Do you believe it should be included in health classes? Do you believe the government should have a website educating their citizens about it?
              Talking about transgender/transsexual issues in public education is a real stretch. Many schools aren't even allowed to talk about protective sex, let a lone gay or trans issues. While I would like to see a day where gay and trans issues are covered in sex ed (they should fall under a segment on gender and sexuality in general), I don't see this happening any time soon. A great deal of our society is truly too primitive to handle it. However, this education is easy to find in colleges. Most human sexuality classes do at least briefly mention transsexuality and I don't necessarily feel like everyone needs the 101 on transsexualism, just like I don't know everything about Catholicism even though it's a huge part of many people's lives. It's the basics that people need to understand.

I think it would be nice if more health organizations had transgender information, and if the government specifically had informational pages for legal transgender issues (name/gender change and that sort of thing). This information is most easily accessed at San Francisco's Trangender Law Center, and the American Psychological Association has some educational material on transgender issues.

While it isn't needed do you feel it would give a deeper understanding to most high schoolers and promote tolerance, or would it not be worth the effort?

4,350 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Verse Chorus Kurdt
De Kelley
              Well, some people hate being female because girls are marginalized as a "lesser sex" and they don't get the male privilege. I will wholeheartedly admit that while my transition had nothing to do with that, I am glad to not have to deal with being a second class citizen anymore. ;/

Unless my subconcious is playing tricks on me, I don't think that's my reasoning ^^;
I have never, and will never, put up with crap about being weak because of being female, though I guess there are some things that I just can't control on that basis that would be nice to sort out of the picture.
              Trust your judgment, but also think about it. I asked myself this question many, many times. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just hating on the sucky female gender role.

4,350 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Verse Chorus Kurdt
De Kelley
              Now that I think about it... female gender roles are so damn shitty. I mean, at least the way women are treated as a "lesser species" almost. It's really sick, considering men expect women to give them pleasure.

Sorry, it's just I meet a lot of FtMs who are disgusted by women, and follow the misogynistic patter of society, and it just makes me so angry. They should know better. They know what it's like to be marginalized when someone sees you as a woman...

Well, I am by no means speaking about all FtMs here -- in fact, it's probably just a small fraction that feel anything like this -- but I do know of someone, a transitioning FtM in my area, who is so desperately hateful of the female form and presence that it was his main reason [or so cited] for transtitioning in the first place.

Needless to say, we barely speak :/
              Yeah, see, I think that's really damn wrong. Transition is not about hate. I don't care what anyone says. If somebody hates their birthsex, they need therapy, not transition... and if they resolve that hatred and STILL want to transition, then they can transition. My doctors made it extremely clear that I had to be a certain amount of psychologically stable to be allowed to transition and completely solid and conscious about gender issues without hatred or resentment towards whatever I was "running away from."

In a relationship with Asatou

7,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Juxtaposed Images

How do you feel that the Transsexual community could be better represented by the government and by public education. Do you believe it should be included in health classes? Do you believe the government should have a website educating their citizens about it?
I believe a good way to start acceptance is to create more gender neural bathrooms and changing rooms. Many folks that are not out or do not pass at their current state of transition are uncomfortable in any rooms regarding a certain sex.

I think it would be nice to speak about transsexuals a bit in the classroom, but it is simply unrealistic at this time. The GLB is not allowed to be talked about in the classroom, more or less the T.

As for the government, it would be nice if there was a bit more notice on transgender issues. Thanks to the media, we are too commonly looked at as only being folks in drag.

4,350 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Juxtaposed Images
De Kelley
              Now that I think about it... female gender roles are so damn shitty. I mean, at least the way women are treated as a "lesser species" almost. It's really sick, considering men expect women to give them pleasure.

Sorry, it's just I meet a lot of FtMs who are disgusted by women, and follow the misogynistic patter of society, and it just makes me so angry. They should know better. They know what it's like to be marginalized when someone sees you as a woman...

It really depends on what culture. In some asian cultures the man is supposed to be about pleasuring the woman and serving his family. Some forms of Daoism preach holding off on the mans orgasm until the woman is pleased.
              Right but I'm mostly talking about people whom I encounter; westernized, Americanized cultures. Not many traditional Asian people are on sites like Gaia.

7,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Mark Twain 100
jesus_slums
Can I eat testosterone?
Actually yes. They do make Testosterone in pill form. However, it is very bad for your liver and most places will not use it. Rather a gel form an injected form is administered.
De Kelley
              Trust your judgment, but also think about it. I asked myself this question many, many times. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just hating on the sucky female gender role.

Oh yes, of course I'm going to keep thinking -- besides, there's little I can do for a couple of years, at any rate, for anything because I'm a minor XD

Though I'm not even sure of what could be done, actually. I'm going to keep dressing and acting the way I do -- a bit more masculine, it's just who I am -- but physically I just dunno.
Lupin_Therian
jesus_slums
Can I eat testosterone?
Actually yes. They do make Testosterone in pill form. However, it is very bad for your liver and most places will not use it. Rather a gel form an injected form is administered.
Does it taste good?
De Kelley
Juxtaposed Images
De Kelley

It really depends on what culture. In some asian cultures the man is supposed to be about pleasuring the woman and serving his family. Some forms of Daoism preach holding off on the mans orgasm until the woman is pleased.
              Right but I'm mostly talking about people whom I encounter; westernized, Americanized cultures. Not many traditional Asian people are on sites like Gaia.

Of course, change comes slow however. Strom Thurmond is still a recent memory in the minds of most.

4,350 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Juxtaposed Images
De Kelley
Juxtaposed Images

Talking about transgender/transsexual issues in public education is a real stretch. Many schools aren't even allowed to talk about protective sex, let a lone gay or trans issues. While I would like to see a day where gay and trans issues are covered in sex ed (they should fall under a segment on gender and sexuality in general), I don't see this happening any time soon. A great deal of our society is truly too primitive to handle it. However, this education is easy to find in colleges. Most human sexuality classes do at least briefly mention transsexuality and I don't necessarily feel like everyone needs the 101 on transsexualism, just like I don't know everything about Catholicism even though it's a huge part of many people's lives. It's the basics that people need to understand.

I think it would be nice if more health organizations had transgender information, and if the government specifically had informational pages for legal transgender issues (name/gender change and that sort of thing). This information is most easily accessed at San Francisco's Trangender Law Center, and the American Psychological Association has some educational material on transgender issues.

While it isn't needed do you feel it would give a deeper understanding to most high schoolers and promote tolerance, or would it not be worth the effort?
              Not really. Kids are not very convinced by anything they learn in school, as far as I can tell. They tend to go with what their parents say and what the media says.
Lupin_Therian
Juxtaposed Images

I believe a good way to start acceptance is to create more gender neural bathrooms and changing rooms. Many folks that are not out or do not pass at their current state of transition are uncomfortable in any rooms regarding a certain sex.

I think it would be nice to speak about transsexuals a bit in the classroom, but it is simply unrealistic at this time. The GLB is not allowed to be talked about in the classroom, more or less the T.

As for the government, it would be nice if there was a bit more notice on transgender issues. Thanks to the media, we are too commonly looked at as only being folks in drag.

This is just personal experience but I've seen growth in unisex restrooms/changing rooms in Midland.
Juxtaposed Images
Sparky the Panda
Juxtaposed Images

I feel there is always room for improvement. Most classes, as far as I know, don't offer much, if any, information on us. My health class did very briefly. We spent one day on it. It was clear by my classmates' reactions that this was new information to most of them. I honestly don't think showing the picture of a pregnant FtM in boys clothes was a good idea. Everyone laughed and glanced at me and I felt awkward and pretty damn annoyed.

I don't remember our health class going over it at all. However we've always had more "radical" ideas and we talk about all forms of safe sex and contraceptives as well as abstinence.

We talked about sex. We talked about safe sex and pregnancy rates and high school drop out rates due to pregnancy and STD rates and other things. I got the impression they were trying harder to scare us away from sex than teach us about it. It was pretty lame, actually.

7,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Mark Twain 100
jesus_slums
Lupin_Therian
jesus_slums
Can I eat testosterone?
Does it taste good?
I would not know.

4,350 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Verse Chorus Kurdt
De Kelley

Oh yes, of course I'm going to keep thinking -- besides, there's little I can do for a couple of years, at any rate, for anything because I'm a minor XD

Though I'm not even sure of what could be done, actually. I'm going to keep dressing and acting the way I do -- a bit more masculine, it's just who I am -- but physically I just dunno.
              Ah, yes. I didn't even think about transition until I was 18 so I didn't have any problems with being a minor. Oddly enough, therapists STILL tried to tell me I was too young to make that life decision, and I said, "You know what? I'm 18 years old and I'll make any goddamn decision I want. I know how twisted our medical system is and you guys essentially have to do what I say unless you can prove I am psychologically unfit to transition." Ohohoho, I'm Mr. No Bullshit.

7,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Juxtaposed Images
Lupin_Therian
Juxtaposed Images

This is just personal experience but I've seen growth in unisex restrooms/changing rooms in Midland.
Indeed you are correct! There has been a growth, but there are not nearly enough of them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff