Welcome to Gaia! ::

Remy is back again....

Please don't kill me. D: 0.13836948391922 13.8% [ 185 ]
I'll be nice, I promise. 0.23186237845924 23.2% [ 310 ]
I'm back for now, we're all good right? 0.14210919970082 14.2% [ 190 ]
Wait... What are you doing with that knife? 0.48765893792072 48.8% [ 652 ]
Total Votes:[ 1337 ]

Wil the Delicious

Actually, I am not. I am just defending a word's original meaning.

I strongly disagree, but I think nothing will convince you so there's no reason to continue this neutral
Are non-binary folks welcome here?

Loiterer

Alizeti
Are non-binary folks welcome here?

Yes.

Unrelated: I finally downloaded "BetterGaia" and WHOAH why did I wait so long?? This is waaay better.

Loiterer

How would you all feel about making a new thread? Mostly because Remy (the original op) is long gone?

We've tried to make new threads in the past but everyone keeps coming back to this one. I mean it's ok if you want to keep this one, but I was just wondering what everyone else thought about the matter?

edit: As it so happens, I still have access to this account and could recreate/update the thread and port it over to the LD if anyone was interested.
I'm not 100% on it yet, but I think I might settle on "Megan Danielle" as my new name. No particular reason why, but my birth name doesn't give me much to work with and I think it flows pretty well. Plus, I want something that people can actually spell the same way twice for a change.

Happy, happy news for me: My estrogen levels are waaay below what's considered normal for bio-females and I had "elevated levels of testosterone"! This could mean that I was actually supposed to be born as male! I go for an ultrasound for my internals today. emotion_kirakira

Also on the note of agender people because I went back a few pages and WOO did that get intense!

The whole sexuality thing; as a transman, it's kinda weird for me to hear people arguing over sexuality/gender because I'm gay. I would also date another transman. Still makes me gay. That being said your genitals don't make your sexuality and being agender would be difficult to place in terms of sexuality since you don't identify as either and most sexualities are based on gender.

Quote:
                          But all agender people are either asexual, or want to be, as you can't feel sexual desire without genitals.

// Another person said: No, but you stop experiencing sexual attraction if you have your entire reproductive system and genitals removed.

On this tidbit, no. I'm deeply sorry but that is not how sexual desire works.. As [Beck, J.G.; Bozman, A.W.; Qualtrough, T. all said], sexual desire is triggered by both internal and external cues.
                          Quote:
                          Except you do have reproductive organs even if you feel like you shouldn't have them. I at least have not heard of anyone having been born complitely without them.
                          '
                          There's some cases of very rare genetic disorders causing this.. the closest science name I could find for it was aphallia.

Seras454
I'm not 100% on it yet, but I think I might settle on "Megan Danielle" as my new name. No particular reason why, but my birth name doesn't give me much to work with and I think it flows pretty well. Plus, I want something that people can actually spell the same way twice for a change.

3nodding I like those names but there's no pressure to just pick some. A lot of trans* think long and hard about their names.. Hell, I'm still deciding between 'Charlie' and 'Victor'.
Daixy
Seras454

3nodding I like those names but there's no pressure to just pick some. A lot of trans* think long and hard about their names.. Hell, I'm still deciding between 'Charlie' and 'Victor'.

Like I said, I'm still not decided yet. I already had a "unique" name once, though, so I'd rather just go with something simple and natural-sounding.

Otherworldly Convert

Seras454

Unless you plan on going by your middle name, this shouldn't be a problem...but my roommate's name is Danielle and MAN does she get some funky spellings. You wouldn't think it, but she is everything from Daniel (despite being VERY obviously female) to Danyell to Danial to Denialle to....basically if there is a way to misspell that name, it has happened. That *could* just be a southern thing, I guess, but something to keep in mind.
Elysion Dawning
Seras454

Unless you plan on going by your middle name, this shouldn't be a problem...but my roommate's name is Danielle and MAN does she get some funky spellings. You wouldn't think it, but she is everything from Daniel (despite being VERY obviously female) to Danyell to Danial to Denialle to....basically if there is a way to misspell that name, it has happened. That *could* just be a southern thing, I guess, but something to keep in mind.

I live in the Midwest, so I might be safe, but I'll keep that in mind.

I vaguely remember my mom telling me what I would've been named if I'd been a daughter, but it was so long ago that I can't remember what it was. If I could, I'd go with that so I'd still have a piece of her with me even with a different name.

Adorable Fisher

@Bornes: I'd have quoted you but the quote button causes the internet at my gf's house to crash for some reason. So I thought I'd speak to you this way.

I think the other thread that you have on that account you mentioned wouldn't be a good idea because it references sexuality. It might confuse people on some levels, either from trans being a sexual identity or people wondering if this is the thread for them to post in, to even many sexual matters drowning out trans people talking about issues. But I'm sure a further conversation can be had about a new thread, because your point about Remy is a good one. I think you'd make an excellent thread owner. However, I worry that having two threads for trans things in the LD may confuse mods and make them delete one or both as "repeat threads". Those are my concerns, and we can talk about positives.

On another note, I am back in St Louis and love it here, and last night I went with my girlfriend to go see Laverne Cox talk at a local university. It was absolutely amazing, and afterwards we met with other trans people at a coffee shop. Stuff like this in St Louis is not abnormal, as the trans community is very connected with one another. Its so...so amazing. I don't have any other words. Laverne Cox talked about being trans in Alabama and New York City in the 90's to the present and intertwined issues into the speech for over an hour, mentioning other trans activists and feminists along the way. Then she took questions about her personal life but also about trans issues. Most of the large auditorium audience was college age kids and the acceptance in that auditorium was out of this world.
Bornes
How would you all feel about making a new thread? Mostly because Remy (the original op) is long gone?

We've tried to make new threads in the past but everyone keeps coming back to this one. I mean it's ok if you want to keep this one, but I was just wondering what everyone else thought about the matter?

edit: As it so happens, I still have access to this account and could recreate/update the thread and port it over to the LD if anyone was interested.

A new thread might be a good idea!
                          I'm sure there's a ton of things that could use updating in this one.

Loiterer

I've been sick since saturday so mostly been sleeping and when I'm online trying not to think too much.

For the new thread thing, there are several things we could do, like talking to forum assistants or mods to switch out the threads or just let them know what we're doing. I still have some mod friends that might help out, but honestly a forum assistant would be all that's needed. If you don't want transtastic moved at all then we'd probably have to talk to a mod and hope the FAs get the memo. But then we'd also have to agree to not post in this thread anymore so it doesn't continually get brought up.

As for the new thread itself, could totally remake it so it doesn't talk about sexuality and is only trans-specific. The friends chat thread was supposed to be more encompassing so that's why it also talked about sexuality.

I don't have to start the new thread, though thanks for the compliment. I would like to have the thread starter be some neutral account like TransOptimist though and we could share password between some trusted people maybe.

But I definitely wouldn't be up to do anything regarding this until I am healthier, which at this point I'm not sure when is going to happen. I thought I'd be better by now already.

EDIT: Well I'm good now.

Adorable Fisher

Bornes
I've been sick since saturday so mostly been sleeping and when I'm online trying not to think too much.

For the new thread thing, there are several things we could do, like talking to forum assistants or mods to switch out the threads or just let them know what we're doing. I still have some mod friends that might help out, but honestly a forum assistant would be all that's needed. If you don't want transtastic moved at all then we'd probably have to talk to a mod and hope the FAs get the memo. But then we'd also have to agree to not post in this thread anymore so it doesn't continually get brought up.

As for the new thread itself, could totally remake it so it doesn't talk about sexuality and is only trans-specific. The friends chat thread was supposed to be more encompassing so that's why it also talked about sexuality.

I don't have to start the new thread, though thanks for the compliment. I would like to have the thread starter be some neutral account like TransOptimist though and we could share password between some trusted people maybe.

But I definitely wouldn't be up to do anything regarding this until I am healthier, which at this point I'm not sure when is going to happen. I thought I'd be better by now already.

EDIT: Well I'm good now.
All very good ideas. I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm now feeling sick as a bug, though, its funny (I've been in bed all day).

As for why I quoted you, I wonder if we can't get this thread put into the "Memorable Threads" forum as a locked thread, so people can look at it and read it at their leisure? This thread is a part of many people's histories and even serves as a record, plus its part of the history of the trans community on Gaia. Sounds like it would qualify to me. I wonder if its possible.

Bashful Phantom

Bornes

I agree that a new thread would be a good idea. I was just thinking about that when those two came through earlier with the agender-policing bit stare I mean, we can block people individually but it'd be nice if we could come to the conclusion as a group to just ban them from the thread. Just the ability to do that might cut down the unnecessary drama and keep the thread a little more on track.
I vote yes, although it might be difficult to handle the Mods, as it's been said...

Edit: Oh, yeah, and reading the first page of posts again, I'd definitely say the FAQ and terms and such could use some updating! A new thread might also give us an opportunity to figure out how best to be clear about gender vs. sex and the widely accepted gender-rhetoric but also to clarify that that gender-policing crap ain't gonna fly and everyone has their own gender experience, etc etc.
Plus, we could be a bit more thorough in including non-binary genders and such in the intro posts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff