Remy is back again....

Please don't kill me. D: 0.13836948391922 13.8% [ 185 ]
I'll be nice, I promise. 0.23186237845924 23.2% [ 310 ]
I'm back for now, we're all good right? 0.14210919970082 14.2% [ 190 ]
Wait... What are you doing with that knife? 0.48765893792072 48.8% [ 652 ]
Total Votes:[ 1337 ]

Loiterer

MarigoldMari

As for why I quoted you, I wonder if we can't get this thread put into the "Memorable Threads" forum as a locked thread, so people can look at it and read it at their leisure? This thread is a part of many people's histories and even serves as a record, plus its part of the history of the trans community on Gaia. Sounds like it would qualify to me. I wonder if its possible.

I might be able to get this thread locked, though that's a stretch. I don't think we could get it into memorable threads. Far more deserving threads haven't been moved there.... Especially for a very niche thread like this... We haven't even reached that many pages in the grand scheme of things.

I mean it's certainly worth a shot, I just doubt it would happen.

Adorable Fisher

Maybe in the new thread's thread title in parentheses for a while we could put "The New Transtastic Thread" just so people know what it is and what its a new thread for and can familiarize themselves as we transition to a new thread?

Adorable Fisher

Bornes
MarigoldMari

As for why I quoted you, I wonder if we can't get this thread put into the "Memorable Threads" forum as a locked thread, so people can look at it and read it at their leisure? This thread is a part of many people's histories and even serves as a record, plus its part of the history of the trans community on Gaia. Sounds like it would qualify to me. I wonder if its possible.

I might be able to get this thread locked, though that's a stretch. I don't think we could get it into memorable threads. Far more deserving threads haven't been moved there.... Especially for a very niche thread like this... We haven't even reached that many pages in the grand scheme of things.

I mean it's certainly worth a shot, I just doubt it would happen.
Oh okay. Was just wondering (:

Loiterer

Well. Apparently forum rules and stuff are all changing in a week or two. So I'd say let's hold off on creating a thread until the stickies are updated here.
So, I've been rolling Amelia around in my head as a name and I think it might be a keeper. I might have to give it more thought, but out of all the ones I've considered, it sounds the most right.

Bashful Phantom

Fair warning, this might be a bit dysphoria triggering if you're afab and have problems discussing your body parts! I'll put it under a spoiler, actually.

So I've been wondering - for any of you who are or have been on testosterone, did your period stop right away, or ever at all, or...?
I can't find very much information on this except for the basic "it probably stops eventually but there's still a chance you'll get pregnant with unprotected sex."

This is kind of becoming an increasingly larger issue for me since my boyfriend and I don't like and can't actually afford condoms and I'm already running out of options for birth control that aren't estrogen-based (everything seems to have side effects that hate me).
I'm still moping around being hesitant about starting HRT in general, but periods and pregnancy scares cause me more dysphoria than anything ever will, so if I could find out more about T's effects on menstruation, it honestly might be the final push I need to start it already. -_-
So, to focus the topic, if you're afab and have been on/are on T, what happened with your menstrual cycle, and what do you do about birth control if you still have PiV sex?

Sorry if it's an uncomfortable topic, it's just so hard to find information without asking real people directly ^^;

Adorable Fisher

the ocean doesnt want me
Fair warning, this might be a bit dysphoria triggering if you're afab and have problems discussing your body parts! I'll put it under a spoiler, actually.

So I've been wondering - for any of you who are or have been on testosterone, did your period stop right away, or ever at all, or...?
I can't find very much information on this except for the basic "it probably stops eventually but there's still a chance you'll get pregnant with unprotected sex."

This is kind of becoming an increasingly larger issue for me since my boyfriend and I don't like and can't actually afford condoms and I'm already running out of options for birth control that aren't estrogen-based (everything seems to have side effects that hate me).
I'm still moping around being hesitant about starting HRT in general, but periods and pregnancy scares cause me more dysphoria than anything ever will, so if I could find out more about T's effects on menstruation, it honestly might be the final push I need to start it already. -_-
So, to focus the topic, if you're afab and have been on/are on T, what happened with your menstrual cycle, and what do you do about birth control if you still have PiV sex?

Sorry if it's an uncomfortable topic, it's just so hard to find information without asking real people directly ^^;

My girlfriend and I both read your post. My gf said: "Go to Planned Parenthood. They will give you a bag [of condoms] for freeeee~ They're condom fairies." biggrin

Dunno if that helps, but it is something. There's also IUD's and Implanon but I don't know if Implanon is what you're looking for. Both are a little expensive but Implanon especially stops your periods.

T can stop your periods, but when and if it does is different for everyone.

Bashful Phantom

MarigoldMari
the ocean doesnt want me

My girlfriend and I both read your post. My gf said: "Go to Planned Parenthood. They will give you a bag [of condoms] for freeeee~ They're condom fairies." biggrin

Dunno if that helps, but it is something. There's also IUD's and Implanon but I don't know if Implanon is what you're looking for. Both are a little expensive but Implanon especially stops your periods.

T can stop your periods, but when and if it does is different for everyone.

I love PP for their free condom-giving, but unfortunately, I'm also allergic to latex and my boyfriend uses a larger size. That's why it's such a pain, a box of 12 of the only kind we can use costs like $10 :'D

I've considered an IUD a little bit, but a lot of the people I've known who have had them said that they gave them really bad cramps pretty constantly, which is what I'm dealing with on depo-provera right now anyways. I actually don't know anything about implanon, I'll have to look it up! Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be the perfect thing and be covered by my Medicaid. I can dream, lol.
If not, maybe I'll just start testosterone finally and see what happens. So daunting, though. Ehhhhh.

Thank you to you and your girlfriend, though! I appreciate the suggestions ^-^

Loiterer

the ocean doesnt want me

Buy condoms in bulk. Look online. Since I don't know what brand you're using I obviously can't help but ordering online is cheaper (per condom).

That being said, T will stop your period. When it stops your period is different for everyone and dependent on how you get your T. I've never really heard of a case where T never stopped the period. Stopping the period is part of what HRT is for and if it's not doing that then the dosages should be adjusted...

Anyway for me it took 1 - 3 months, I can't remember exactly.

BUT yes you can still get pregnant. Supposedly. Nobody's really sure. But I definitely wouldn't use testosterone as a birth control regardless.

Bashful Phantom

Bornes
the ocean doesnt want me

Buy condoms in bulk. Look online. Since I don't know what brand you're using I obviously can't help but ordering online is cheaper (per condom).

That being said, T will stop your period. When it stops your period is different for everyone and dependent on how you get your T. I've never really heard of a case where T never stopped the period. Stopping the period is part of what HRT is for and if it's not doing that then the dosages should be adjusted...

Anyway for me it took 1 - 3 months, I can't remember exactly.

BUT yes you can still get pregnant. Supposedly. Nobody's really sure. But I definitely wouldn't use testosterone as a birth control regardless.

That's good news ^^; did you have any weird side effects before or after yours stopped? Like cramps without bleeding or vise versa? I'm sorry if that's too personal, you definitely don't have to answer!

I remember that there was one case of a man getting pregnant post-transition, back in the early 2000s, and everyone was framing it as "medical mystery! this MAN is preggo! but that's cause he used to be a woman lololol", etc. I'm pretty sure it was being called an anomaly anyways, though, so I'm under the impression that it isn't to be expected at all.

My boyfriend and I just both happen to be those people who think condoms are the worst ever so it'd really suck to have to use them forever due to lack of alternatives. Wonder if my current doctor would know anything about taking hormones and using semi-permanent birth control at the same time, or if that would be a better question for a doctor who actually had experience with HRT confused

Magical Shounen

9,550 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Timid 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm never really here, but a new thread would sound really nice, and I think I'd participate more.

Loiterer

the ocean doesnt want me

That's good news ^^; did you have any weird side effects before or after yours stopped? Like cramps without bleeding or vise versa? I'm sorry if that's too personal, you definitely don't have to answer!
My period was usually heavy and lasted a full 7 days. When I started T I may have had a normal period but then got light spotting after. Though I can't remember for sure.
Every now and then (definitely not as often as once a month) I will get some painful cramps that are like menstrual cramps, but they only last for like 5 minutes and are done. I don't even know if that's related to T or PMS or something else entirely, but if it is and that's the price I gotta pay, so be it, I prefer it 100000000% over actual menstruation.

During the first year, my period came back (by spotting) IMMEDIATELY if I was late on a shot. I remember I had the beginning of a light period only 1-2 days late on a shot once. I just about cried. Nowadays though I can be super late (been as late as 5 days before) and nothing happens. I am supposed to take a shot once every 2 weeks.

Quote:
I remember that there was one case of a man getting pregnant post-transition, back in the early 2000s, and everyone was framing it as "medical mystery! this MAN is preggo! but that's cause he used to be a woman lololol", etc. I'm pretty sure it was being called an anomaly anyways, though, so I'm under the impression that it isn't to be expected at all.
It can happen and if it does there may be birth defects. But it has not been studied extensively so nobody knows for sure how it works.
MAYBE if you use T for a long time, used the pull out method properly... maybe. I'd at least feel safer with that than just blowing the load inside and going 'whelp lol no period means no baby!'

Personally I'm so against pregnancy for myself that I've always insisted that if something happens they're helping to pay for the abortion. I know people say don't use abortion as a BC method. But... Yeah I totally did, because I was ignorant about condoms. And the pull out method is definitely not awesome either but it's at least better than cumming inside. sweatdrop

Quote:
My boyfriend and I just both happen to be those people who think condoms are the worst ever so it'd really suck to have to use them forever due to lack of alternatives.

A lot of it has to do with the sizing of condoms. If you you can get the right size it can be great (or so I'm told).

http://www.theyfit.co.uk

Unfortunately this is where the US falls behind. US has standardized sizes. While EUR has gotten with the program and are sex positive, USA has not and shipping laws prevent any of the EUR companies from shipping condoms over to the USA. However you can get a friend to forward to you or use a forward service (the usa link on theyfit recommends a forward service to use).
Of course this doesn't solve your "cost" problem at all and I don't know if they're latex free. But "custom condom" is a google search away for you and there's a lot of different (non-usa, unfortunately) services.

That being said, I found a link for bulk non latex condoms (For the US) to go with what I said earlier.
http://www.condomdepot.com/product/catalog.cfm/nid/209
You could also try a sampler? Though $20 for 10 condoms seems a bit much.

Quote:
Wonder if my current doctor would know anything about taking hormones and using semi-permanent birth control at the same time, or if that would be a better question for a doctor who actually had experience with HRT confused
I've heard of FtMs on T that use IUDs but I imagine it'd be really difficult (and expensive) to find a non-hormonal one. Also the side effects of EVERY BC method scare me off. an IUD would be even harder to get rid of if I had one and didn't want it anymore.

That being said, I just don't have sex anymore...
Pregnancy and STDs scare the s**t out of me.
Seras454
So, I've been rolling Amelia around in my head as a name and I think it might be a keeper. I might have to give it more thought, but out of all the ones I've considered, it sounds the most right.
If you like the name I'd say it's a good one!

Tipsy Prophet

Seras454

Amelia is a really nice name (:
If you have any people who you could try it out with (sorry, I can't think of a better way to express this) then doing that might help in figuring out if the name feels good.
Memetic Sexgod
Seras454

Amelia is a really nice name (:
If you have any people who you could try it out with (sorry, I can't think of a better way to express this) then doing that might help in figuring out if the name feels good.

I've already decided on it. I repeated it in my head about 50 times and practiced introducing myself just to make sure, and it still felt right.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff