Welcome to Gaia! ::

Metheshrew
Little Motel
I'm white with mostly German descent and my long-term boyfriend is Mexican and Japanese, his mother coming from Okinawa and father from a small town in Mexico.

My mother loves him but my dad is a racist hick, and has referred to him as an "ugly Mexican" among other things.

Needless to say, I support. But it's not like interracial dating is catching a whole lot of heat from the public anymore.

It depends, really. In the town I live in, my family gets stares and every once in a while an offensive comment. All in all, it's not so bad. There are, however, still instances of people being bullied or physically and emotionally hurt because they choose to date someone of a different ethnicity or are two or more ethnicities themselves. There was even a minister in Louisiana who wouldn't marry a couple, because he was 'thinking about the children' (which makes me wonder how many biracial people he knows to base his assumption that they have a harder life than everyone else).

I always wondered where people got the idea that mixed children are less happy or have a harder time getting along with their peers. The majority of my SO's friends are mixed (as many people are in Alaska) and if anything, it makes for a good conversation piece.
People are always asking about his ethnicity and he says it only made it easier for him to make friends.
Little Motel
Metheshrew
Little Motel
I'm white with mostly German descent and my long-term boyfriend is Mexican and Japanese, his mother coming from Okinawa and father from a small town in Mexico.

My mother loves him but my dad is a racist hick, and has referred to him as an "ugly Mexican" among other things.

Needless to say, I support. But it's not like interracial dating is catching a whole lot of heat from the public anymore.

It depends, really. In the town I live in, my family gets stares and every once in a while an offensive comment. All in all, it's not so bad. There are, however, still instances of people being bullied or physically and emotionally hurt because they choose to date someone of a different ethnicity or are two or more ethnicities themselves. There was even a minister in Louisiana who wouldn't marry a couple, because he was 'thinking about the children' (which makes me wonder how many biracial people he knows to base his assumption that they have a harder life than everyone else).

I always wondered where people got the idea that mixed children are less happy or have a harder time getting along with their peers. The majority of my SO's friends are mixed (as many people are in Alaska) and if anything, it makes for a good conversation piece.
People are always asking about his ethnicity and he says it only made it easier for him to make friends.

In my whole entire life, I've maybe had only two bad experiences but the people who gave me a hard time both times were just sad individuals. The majority of the time, people don't pay the fact that I have parents of two different ethnicities any mind. There were sometimes even when we were complimented.

Invisible Gaian

6,450 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
hmmmmm, this sort of topic has interested me lately. im black and i tend to be attracted to asians. at the same time, i am in no way attracted to black guys (i swear im not racist...against my own race).

im not limiting myself to just asians though (trust me, there are a lot of good looking guys that aren't remotely close to being asian, and there are a lot of asians that aren't remotely close to being good looking lol) but i never really say these types of things to ppl b/c of the weird looks i get when i tell them that i just don't have an attraction to blk guys (and dont even get me started on stereotypical black guys bleh!)
Hitachiin_Kiran
hmmmmm, this sort of topic has interested me lately. im black and i tend to be attracted to asians. at the same time, i am in no way attracted to black guys (i swear im not racist...against my own race).

im not limiting myself to just asians though (trust me, there are a lot of good looking guys that aren't remotely close to being asian, and there are a lot of asians that aren't remotely close to being good looking lol) but i never really say these types of things to ppl b/c of the weird looks i get when i tell them that i just don't have an attraction to blk guys (and dont even get me started on stereotypical black guys bleh!)

It's not racist at all. In fact, it's no more racist than a black guy stating that he's not attracted to black women. I think the only time it ever becomes racist is if we meet someone we like of a certain ethnicity, but we won't go out with them because they are a certain ethnicity. Although I'm usually not attracted to black guys, I've met a few that I had big monster crushes on. In my senior year in high school there was this one guy who played the guitar and liked the same music I did...plus I loved the way he dressed....all punk rock and all. xp (real punk. Not poser punk). LOL
My mother's black and my father's white. The only one who opposed was my dad's father. A white bigoted man. But he dies early so that ok. My dad's twin sister married a black man, his older brother married a Puerto Rican, and the youngest brother to an Indonesian woman. My mom's brother married a Dominican. So I grew up around interracial relationships my whole life. People here don't care who marries what race. I myself am attracted to every race pretty much. I've dated a Caucasian, a Russian/Kazakh and my current boyfriend is Caucasian. If I'm attracted to the guy and are compatible, I'll have no problem being with him.
I'm white, and I loooooove black and hispanic guys! mrgreen
Hey everyone! Ive returned!
Sound out the Words
My mother's black and my father's white. The only one who opposed was my dad's father. A white bigoted man. But he dies early so that ok. My dad's twin sister married a black man, his older brother married a Puerto Rican, and the youngest brother to an Indonesian woman. My mom's brother married a Dominican. So I grew up around interracial relationships my whole life. People here don't care who marries what race. I myself am attracted to every race pretty much. I've dated a Caucasian, a Russian/Kazakh and my current boyfriend is Caucasian. If I'm attracted to the guy and are compatible, I'll have no problem being with him.

I, myself, have grown up all around interracial relations. ^^ I've never had much problems, but there are always a few people that have a problem with who we love and associate with. It's okay, though, no one likes them anyway lol. By the way, I've been into Kazakh culture ever since my freshman year in college. In my public speaking class there was a woman from Kazakhstan who told us all about the country and culture. I hope to go there one day. xd
MortuusATA

We missed you! smile
Metheshrew
MortuusATA

We missed you! smile

Likewise! I've been in a love/hate relationship with gaia lately ^^;

Greedy Fatcat

I and my SO are in ways a rather unconventional couple. We are interracial (caucasian + asian), long distance (northern europe + US) and non-hetero. So we are up there in risk of facing multiple prejudice.

My parents are alright with all this, but to be fair they are very laidback. Her parents are more likely to cause a bit of a problem, her father especially has expressed that people shouldn't get in relationships outside their 'race' because of 'cultural differences'.

I can understand the sentiment but don't see it happening every single time so I don't find it a sound argument. :B
Karoish
I and my SO are in ways a rather unconventional couple. We are interracial (caucasian + asian), long distance (northern europe + US) and non-hetero. So we are up there in risk of facing multiple prejudice.

My parents are alright with all this, but to be fair they are very laidback. Her parents are more likely to cause a bit of a problem, her father especially has expressed that people shouldn't get in relationships outside their 'race' because of 'cultural differences'.

I can understand the sentiment but don't see it happening every single time so I don't find it a sound argument. :B

Awwh, but cultural differences can add a bit of spice to things :3 I was basically raised on multicultural grounds (hispanic step-grandma, german grandmother, creole/african american grandma) and it is probably the most fun I have ever had! When my SO came home from leave they got to eat a lot of not-american-exclusive food and besides the spicy ones he loved it!

Greedy Fatcat

MortuusATA

Awwh, but cultural differences can add a bit of spice to things :3 I was basically raised on multicultural grounds (hispanic step-grandma, german grandmother, creole/african american grandma) and it is probably the most fun I have ever had! When my SO came home from leave they got to eat a lot of not-american-exclusive food and besides the spicy ones he loved it!
I agree. It's interesting to see the cultural differences and how we interact because of them. I was slightly frightened when I visited her in the States and everyone I met hugged me up-front. We don't do that here, haha! biggrin
Too bad I can't share your SO's love for spicy food. It seems to be all my SO eats and my stomach can't handle it at all.
Karoish
MortuusATA

I agree. It's interesting to see the cultural differences and how we interact because of them. I was slightly frightened when I visited her in the States and everyone I met hugged me up-front. We don't do that here, haha! biggrin
Too bad I can't share your SO's love for spicy food. It seems to be all my SO eats and my stomach can't handle it at all.

Oh? where do you originate from?
I grew up in a very family oriented home, and people can be very friendly if you find the right group! you're very lucky.

Oh no he despises spicy food. and pickles. XD so all of my favorite dishes were pretty much moot and I had to make a more calmed down dish. I pretty much live off of spicy foods (though now that Ive been on more of a diet my tummy can't take it like it used to)

Greedy Fatcat

MortuusATA

Oh? where do you originate from?
I grew up in a very family oriented home, and people can be very friendly if you find the right group! you're very lucky.

Oh no he despises spicy food. and pickles. XD so all of my favorite dishes were pretty much moot and I had to make a more calmed down dish. I pretty much live off of spicy foods (though now that Ive been on more of a diet my tummy can't take it like it used to)
I'm from Finland. And my family is very family oriented as well, but I suppose it's more common to reserve the hugs to people you know. Of course my family hugged my SO upon meeting but that's a bit different since they technically knew her. I felt a little embarrassed when her brother went in for a hug but I was already offering a hand-shake! sweatdrop

Sounds very familiar. My SO also tones down the foods for me and just adds chili to her own portion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff