Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS THREAD NEEDS MOAR RATINGS :3

No, ratings are stupid. 0.44444444444444 44.4% [ 4 ]
Yes, and I'll up-rate it, because I love Darrin. 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 2 ]
Yes, and I'll down-rate it, because I can't stand Darrin. 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 9 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 >

Dapper Poster

Witchy Pyromaniac
Zlae
Heh, my mother gets that all the time. So she's normally referred to as Merryn. I love her name though, Rosemerryn Jennifer. It's so pretty.

Really? I used to hate my name around 8, I think we all do. But now I adore my name, and I'm glad they changed it.

Either way they all sound lovely! And when I see it written it looks even more gorgeous. Whatever you decide to do, it'll be beautiful, trust me.

Ooooh, that is a pretty name! Merryn in itself is lovely. heart
We probably all do. I think 3 years from now, I'll probably love my name as well. For the most part I wanna rearrange it cause I go by Katlaina, and aside from liking how it sounds, it's also convenient. xP

Thank you though! biggrin
I'm incredibly stubborn, so it probably will be another 3 years, lol, before I actually seriously love my entire name.
I think I rebelled against Natalia cause it's from my dad's side. I was named after my dad's dead sister, and I've only recently started mending ties with that side of my family xP Plus, I was always getting called Natalie instead of Natalia, which is annoying.
But I am starting to see it's a pretty name, and I kind of hope I can learn to love it.
Heheh I'll tell her that. I'm sure it'll make her day~
Ah, if you already go by Katlaina then I suppose it would make more sense to change it anyway.

Heh, I only speak the truth~
lol

Oh, wow. That would make me a little uncomfortable, truth be told.

See? It is a pretty name!

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Zlae
Witchy Pyromaniac
Zlae
Heh, my mother gets that all the time. So she's normally referred to as Merryn. I love her name though, Rosemerryn Jennifer. It's so pretty.

Really? I used to hate my name around 8, I think we all do. But now I adore my name, and I'm glad they changed it.

Either way they all sound lovely! And when I see it written it looks even more gorgeous. Whatever you decide to do, it'll be beautiful, trust me.

We probably all do. I think 3 years from now, I'll probably love my name as well. For the most part I wanna rearrange it cause I go by Katlaina, and aside from liking how it sounds, it's also convenient. xP

I'm incredibly stubborn, so it probably will be another 3 years, lol, before I actually seriously love my entire name.
I think I rebelled against Natalia cause it's from my dad's side. I was named after my dad's dead sister, and I've only recently started mending ties with that side of my family xP Plus, I was always getting called Natalie instead of Natalia, which is annoying.
But I am starting to see it's a pretty name, and I kind of hope I can learn to love it.
Ah, if you already go by Katlaina then I suppose it would make more sense to change it anyway.

lol

Exactly! I was named Katlaina after my godmother, but her name is Catalina. So it's a variation, and still my name. Of a living relative. Not a dead one. Aliiiiive and walkin'. And what's worse is she died suddenly from an aneurysm when she was around 18. So doubly uncomfortable.
And awesome xD I like makin people's days. 4laugh
Thank you again xD I do kinda like it. Just not on me, lol.
I do like that it's a Russian name though. Unusual names float my boat.

Dapper Poster

Witchy Pyromaniac
Zlae
Witchy Pyromaniac
Zlae

lol

Exactly! I was named Katlaina after my godmother, but her name is Catalina. So it's a variation, and still my name. Of a living relative. Not a dead one. Aliiiiive and walkin'. And what's worse is she died suddenly from an aneurysm when she was around 18. So doubly uncomfortable.
Well, if it makes you feel better, my brother's girlfriend is called Gabrielle, too. Do you know how ******** awkward it is when I can hear them?
/shudders

Heh she just gave me a pleased smile and went back to baking.. something.
I think I'm part Russian from my father's side, actually. I know I'm predominantly Australian, Italian and German.

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Zlae
Witchy Pyromaniac
Zlae
Witchy Pyromaniac
Zlae

lol

Well, if it makes you feel better, my brother's girlfriend is called Gabrielle, too. Do you know how ******** awkward it is when I can hear them?
/shudders

I think I'm part Russian from my father's side, actually. I know I'm predominantly Australian, Italian and German.

Oh god. You poor thing!!!! I'd wanna bust my eardrums. gonk That is awful. I'm so sorry. gonk
I wonder what she's baking. eek Baked goods are great.
Anyway. That's awesome! I'm Columbian and Cuban xD
I love italians. Italy and all it's joys are wonderful. xD I'd like to be italian.
And I love Australian accents.
Just sayin. sweatdrop

Dapper Poster

Witchy Pyromaniac
Zlae
/shudders

Oh god. You poor thing!!!! I'd wanna bust my eardrums. gonk That is awful. I'm so sorry. gonk
I wonder what she's baking. eek Baked goods are great.
Anyway. That's awesome! I'm Columbian and Cuban xD
I love italians. Italy and all it's joys are wonderful. xD I'd like to be italian.
And I love Australian accents.
Just sayin. sweatdrop
It's the most awkward ******** thing ever. But when I think about it I just.. sort of laugh now. I'm getting used to it.

I asked her; she said she's baking.. I don't know how to spell it, hah. But it sure looks nice.
Ooh, cool! Now I've also talked to a Columbian. 8'D.
Hah my grandfather on my father's side used to live in Italy.

Haha thanks I guess, I'll tell all of us Aussie's that lol

I don't even get why everyone likes them, we sound all harsh and uneducated
gonk
I plan on changing my name. I don't know for sure, but i think it's much easier to do here.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Witchy Pyromaniac
The Chainsaw Ninja
Wait, you're going to make a thread about changing names and you're NOT going to tell us what your new name is? Or even what your OLD name was?

That was one of the only things I cared about in this thread and I didn't care that much to start! I legitimately feel cheated.

It's Darrin.

Shy Gaian

When I was younger I did, but that was only because I could never find necklaces that had my name on them.
My names Olivia, and I was the only Olivia growing up in school; and I hated it so badly.

Now I guess I'm okay with it because I get compliments on it all the time at work. Now it is a pretty common name now, and I'm not the only one anymore.
Ugh.

Distinct Humorist

7,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
Stahlherz
Gale Gynoid
If I had to change something, I would remove or replace my middle name because it means "Jehovah is God" - no longer relevant, as I'm an atheist. However, it's still dear to me because it's French, something I associate with my mother, who was multi-lingual. My first name is also Biblical, but it's too much a part of my identity to change now.

Your family still knows who you are. Your name is only a tiny part of your identity. Is it really that big of a deal? confused

If I had to change my name, say, for protection, I wouldn't object to it.

However, I'm just saying that I'm happy with my name. I wouldn't change it because it's meaningless - because we imbue our names with meaning, rather than finding new names for their intrinsic meaning as you did.

If your name wasn't a big deal and was only a tiny part of your identity, why did you go to all the trouble of getting it changed?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
We have only thought of trademarking Our name. How much does that cost in your human exchange? Do you still use goats? We can give you lots of goats.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
im_a_belieber9
No. I like my name a lot. It's very unique and i only know about 2 other people with my name. If i had a name like "Kaitlyn" then, yes because it's over-used in my mind -.- (not that i hate the name or anything)

We're not that dissimilar then.

Shin Seven X
User Image

I do want to change my last name to my mother's maiden name, but if it's long and involved and money consuming, I can wait just fine.
User Image

How long you think you'll have to wait around for?

p i x i e d u s t
I like my first name, even if most people can't pronounce it and have to English-ify it.
I have no middle name. Sometimes I'd like one.
My last name is atrocious for pronunciation. Just god awful.
I don't know what to do with it.

Middle names are kind of pointless. They add a bit of individualistic flair to a name and make it less likely that two people will have the same name (which can make things less complicated for government agencies and businesses that keep tabs on people).

shubbie
Oh yes, her name is fine. =) It's really a pretty normal name-- Shauna. And a pretty common last name. It's a little weird someone would use it for that... but it was back in the 70s. Either way she's passed away now.

That's a lovely name.

Kaeth
No, I have no interest in Chinese culture. I find China quite scary in general and would never want to personally engage with Chinese society.

I wonder if those Chinese people that come to the U.S. and Canada feel the same way, that China is scary. One thing is for certain, they rathered to be somewhere besides where they were born.

Ivee Clover

Nope, I considered changing my name when i was 5-10. now that i'm almost 20 I like my name because its original, and next to no one has this name.
If my child changes their name i wouldn't be pissed unless it was a stupid or common name.

I do so love rare names (just because they make those "Jim? No, not you, the other Jim" situations less likely.

Lunar Real Estate Agent
You sure it's that expensive? Over here it's only about $5 for the change and $90 or $100 for the certified copy (clever bastards; like selling a car for $1,000 and the engine for it for $10,000!). And my state's not all that cheap, with its budget shortfall, and always having a rather fickle tax base fund; our drivers licenses are $60 and replacements are about $45).

I'm as sure as water is wet. I payed $140.00 for the court filing fee, $35.00 for the mandatory newspaper advertisement, $20.00 for a new copy of my birth certificate (which the court clerks needed as proof of my name), and another $20.00 for a new photo I.D. So, $215.00 altogether.

What state are you in that only charges between $95.00 $105.00?
I have thought about changing my name quite often. More so my last name than my first name.

My father was never around, and he is a horrible person. I do not want to carry on the name that he gave me. Also, there are a lot of cases bastardy in our direct male line. Our last name does not match up to what are name ought to be.

If I ever get married, I will take my wife's or husbands last name. I am not sure if marriage is in my future so I might have to go get it changed on my own.

I like my first name. Though I do have multiple names that I go by. If I ever change my first name it would be to Severin, which is already part of my stage name/nomme de plume.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
svadharma
I've thought about it but my name is who I am. Even if I change my name, I'm not a different person.
My name is nice anyway. I would prefer a different first name than anything because mine is so common but eh.

Try just telling people you changed your name to see how you like being called the new name. It would be like a free trial that leads up to a paid service.

Apteryxxx
I did... And while I'm happy I did, I would NEVER do it again. It took a ridiculous amount of time, and my medical records still haven't been updated.
My reasons might seem rude to some people... But in my family there's this weird tradition of taking your mother's maiden name and her father's name as middle names... So I had 6 names, and over 45 characters. xd It was AWFUL. I've had a few family members stop talking to me, but whatever.

I'm in the same predicament, The receptionists at the hospital I got to told me that they couldn't change my name on their records without my new insurance card with my new name. I told my provider a couple weeks back, and, still nothing from them.

Also, you're better off without them. If my relatives acted all offended and avoided me like that, I would get in their faces, tell them to get bent, then be happy I never have to deal with them again.

EZ Cheeze
I thought about it. Then I did it.
I was 17. All I needed was $125 for filing fees, affidavits from both my parents saying they gave consent, to show up in court about six weeks later, tell the judge "No, I'm not doing this to run from criminal charges" and bam. He signed a paper and I had a new name.
Why in the hell did it require lawyers for you? Or newspaper publishers? I never had to deal with either. My name change wasn't publicized. In fact, my friends never would've known if I hadn't told them. (They also never would've known what my name used to be if I hadn't shown them the paper from court to prove it)

Publishing a new name in a local news rag is mandatory here in Maryland. Hell if I know why. >_<

I may or may not have had to meet a lawyer to get the initial name change request form, but, when I was at the courthouse filling in their own change of name forms (which were marriage forms, go figure), and I kept asking the clerk "Where do I sign? What do I fill in here?" she just shook her head morosely, frowned, and said "I'm not allowed to tell you answers to those questions without legal counsel present" (which wasn't an option because the lawyer I met only met people "pro bono" at certain hours of the morning on a Tuesday), so I just kept ******** up forms and wasting paper and being told "sorry, you filled in where you weren't supposed to", until I finally got it right. That was annoying.

The lawyer bit was hilarious to me, because they seemed more willing to let their paper and ink get pissed away for my mistakes then they did to........get sued by some lawyers guild? Who knows why they acted so stubborn. BUT, I got it right on the fourth form copy, so the legal counsel thing stopped being important at that point forward.

Acadia Red
Nah, I like my name. Plus, I feel it would be offensive to my parents if I did.

I knew a woman who wanted to legally add another 'e' to her daughters name, and had a fit when she had to go through all the s**t and pay the amount she did.

Yup. That's how it goes. Same amount no matter how much or how little gets changed. I was happy I changed the entire name, because I knew I was getting my money's worth. cool

Zlae
Stahlherz
Do you know why it was done?
My name used to be Skye Gabrielle [last name].
But now it's Gabrielle Skye Rose [last name].

Gabrielle is a pretty name. I know Gabrielle.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Kino Mori
I have thought about changing my name quite often. More so my last name than my first name.

My father was never around, and he is a horrible person. I do not want to carry on the name that he gave me. Also, there are a lot of cases bastardy in our direct male line. Our last name does not match up to what are name ought to be.

If I ever get married, I will take my wife's or husbands last name. I am not sure if marriage is in my future so I might have to go get it changed on my own.

I like my first name. Though I do have multiple names that I go by. If I ever change my first name it would be to Severin, which is already part of my stage name/nomme de plume.

I would totally take my future wife's last name too. She has a pretty last name.

Have you done a bit of research into how difficult or pricey it would be where you live?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff