Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS THREAD NEEDS MOAR RATINGS :3

No, ratings are stupid. 0.44444444444444 44.4% [ 4 ]
Yes, and I'll up-rate it, because I love Darrin. 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 2 ]
Yes, and I'll down-rate it, because I can't stand Darrin. 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 9 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 >

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Winter June
I like my name, never saw the need to change it.
I'd understand if they were given a name with a degrading meaning or if they were transgenders, otherwise I see no point to go through the drama and waste money to change a reasonable name.

As long as your friends and relatives are chill and easygoing, I can't see why it would be dramatic. Also, it's only a waste of money if you choose to see it that way. I personally see it as an investment in something of lasting value. cool

Anxious Werewolf

16,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Wolf Within 100
Stahlherz

I'm named after my mom's sister, so my aunt I guess. I moved in the same city with her, to actually have a relationship with her family. When they basically decided they didn't want to bother, and the only time they tried to get in touch was because my Mom moved down. Thats the short version, and I would rather my name be someone that I never knew but respected.

Well I'm sure it'll be a fee to change it, then fees to change it on all my other identification. I know my neighbor changed her name, and it was two years after she legally changed it that everything was to her new name.

Thank you! But I may change my mind if I become a mom, and it would be hard to start calling your kid a different name. And obviously you spent some serious time considering changing your name, and kudos to you for doing what you want.

I think when I googled it, it was a $120 fee and I had to bring in ID and my birth certificate.. I don't remember exactly though..

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
FaeriesAreMagic

I just googled my name and it was the second image of google, so yeah I guess so. XD It's not one of those weird names like La-a (pronounced like La dash a), but it's still pretty unique. I was named after my grandmother and I have a French last name that no one has ever heard of in North Mississippi. XD

That's what I wanted: something unique. It's aggravating to have someone say my name and have other men in the vicinity ask "Who, me"?

FaeriesAreMagic

Err...why did you get your name changed?

A few reasons:

1. My old name was too common; I wanted something unique.
2. my names all have a special significance because I picked them out, whereas my old name was just some unimportant nonsense I got stuck with at birth.
3. It felt important to me to do it as an assertion of my independence and individuality. It always grated on me that I went through life being called something that I never chose, and I feel that, if it's my name, I should have a say in what it will be.
4. It seemed challenging, and I felt that I could do with an extra challenge in my otherwise boring life.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Lirit the Courtesan
Believe me, I'm up for it.

For what now? >.>
I want to change my last name. My dad has a bad reputation and my last name isnt common. Since of his criminal record ..well yeah. I want to change to my moms maiden name legally.

Celebrating Conversationalist

8,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Sunny Side Up 100
Stahlherz
Lirit the Courtesan
Believe me, I'm up for it.

For what now? >.>

suffer from an undereating disorder.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Mitubati
Sounds like quite the hassle. It's free to change your first name where I live, at least.

I want to live where you live. Where do you live?

Mitubati
No. I like my name. When I was a kid I wanted to be named "Lisa", but it wasn't serious and just a random name I liked.

If you ever take a fancy to it, go online and run searches of name meanings. Every name has an origin, and the origin is invariably descriptive of a place, a thing, a character trait, ect.

Mitubati
I'm not planning on becoming a parent, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a bit sad if I chose the wrong name for my child.

I felt that it would bother my mother, so much so I changed my last name to her maiden name (on account of, she dislikes my dad, and it would make her happy).

Distinct Humorist

7,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
If I had to change something, I would remove or replace my middle name because it means "Jehovah is God" - no longer relevant, as I'm an atheist. However, it's still dear to me because it's French, something I associate with my mother, who was multi-lingual. My first name is also Biblical, but it's too much a part of my identity to change now.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Amor Sempiternus
No, but I've considered it. I respond faster to my Roman name than I do my real one anyway, and I use it more often.

Are you Italian then?

Amor Sempiternus
I'd probably be hurt, but also accept that if they've found a name that they feel suits them more, then more power to them. I'd only request that they keep the family name somewhere.

That was in fact my course of action.

Amor Sempiternus
Are you a U.S. citizen and considering reformatting your identity? If so, I could probably give you some helpful counsel. Ask me anything.
I'm a UK citizen, sorry blaugh

I bet it costs the equivalent of thousands of U.S. dollars there. emotion_8c

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Stahlherz
Amor Sempiternus
No, but I've considered it. I respond faster to my Roman name than I do my real one anyway, and I use it more often.

Are you Italian then?

Amor Sempiternus
I'd probably be hurt, but also accept that if they've found a name that they feel suits them more, then more power to them. I'd only request that they keep the family name somewhere.

That was in fact my course of action.

Amor Sempiternus
Are you a U.S. citizen and considering reformatting your identity? If so, I could probably give you some helpful counsel. Ask me anything.
I'm a UK citizen, sorry blaugh

I bet it costs the equivalent of thousands of U.S. dollars there. emotion_8c

Nope, English. But I do Roman re-enacting, and follow the Ancient Roman religion wink

No idea.
Stahlherz
Mitubati
Sounds like quite the hassle. It's free to change your first name where I live, at least.

I want to live where you live. Where do you live?

Mitubati
No. I like my name. When I was a kid I wanted to be named "Lisa", but it wasn't serious and just a random name I liked.

If you ever take a fancy to it, go online and run searches of name meanings. Every name has an origin, and the origin is invariably descriptive of a place, a thing, a character trait, ect.

Mitubati
I'm not planning on becoming a parent, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a bit sad if I chose the wrong name for my child.

I felt that it would bother my mother, so much so I changed my last name to her maiden name (on account of, she dislikes my dad, and it would make her happy).

I live in Sweden. I've only heard about this from two people who both had their first names changed. Apparently it's free the first time. I'm not completely sure though, but I trust them on it since they did it.

My name right now is Linda. If I remember correctly it's the feminine term of the word "beautiful" in Spanish. I like it a lot. Lisa just reminds me of the Simpsons character.

I'm also thinking about only having my mother's last name. Right now I'm using both my mum's and my dad's, since they kept their last names when they married. I'm not sure how my dad would take it though, especially since my brother has been thinking about doing the same thing.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Eisefin
My whole life I have loved my name. I have a common first name, though spelled a little differently, two middle names, and I had a foreign last name but it was legally changed through marriage to my husband's. I love my name. I feel as if I grew into it just fine.

Conversely, I outgrew mine. >:3 Seriously though, I feel better and better when I meet people with four names, total. Those seem to be very rare indeed.

How much discussion was there between you and your husband about who would take whose last name?

Amor Sempiternus
As for my children, I don't think I would be upset so much as confused. I would like to speak with them about it and find the root of the issue. It's not every day someone just decides they want to go from Chad to Fred on a whim, you know? If it was something they feel they seriously must do, I would at least request a compromise. Leaving the middle name or something. But it's ultimately not my choice. If they are able adults by that time then it is their decision and I will love them regardless.

Just call them whatever you did at their birth. Unless they're total uncompromising gits, they should be fine with that, as long as they get to change their names.

Quotable Poster

Have any of you ever had to change your legal name? If so, was it as tedious and inconvenient for you as it was for me? If not, have you ever considered it?
I will after my procedure, but until then, I must wait. And THAT'S the tedious part

Are you a parent or are considering becoming one? If so, how badly would it piss you off if your child decided that the name you picked for them clearly wasn't to their liking, and decided to change it?
Well, I will not be able to father a child, but, I have considered adopting a boy, and, if he doesn't like his name, I really don't care if he wants to change it. It's his choice. He just better pick one he likes.

I am, yes. My 'identity' is one I wish to not be... different... hence why I am getting surgery and changing my name. I was reading what you were saying it and you seem like you have the same struggles as me. Well, I apply what I'm going through to the world's problems.
So, yeah... sweatdrop How many documents do you have to change? And, I go to college, so will my professors know about the change? Does it pend for a while?

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
It's much "much" easier to do in England.

Cost's about thirty five pounds ($60-70?) and takes about two hours, you can just walk into your local D-poll office and get it done there and then.

I thought about doing it when I first reverted to Islam those years ago.

But I was under the impression that it was mandatory, but then I realised I had a Muslim first name anyway(Daniel) and that it wasn't mandatory to change your name unless your name itself was an insult to Islam.

Rainbow Lover

I have all the paperwork ready for filing a name change, I am prepared to go through all that crap and waiting, I am prepared to pay that money. I might wait another year just so that I am 100% positive. I'm 100% positive now, I just want to live with people calling me by that name for a little bit longer before I go and make it legal. I'm only going to do it once.

I'm miserable with my name to that extreme degree that I am willing to go through this and spend the money. None of my friends know me by my legal name, my parents don't even call me by my legal name. I want the name change so it's official and I can stop feeling like absolute crap and garbage when I write my name and signature on official documents. I want that name to be wiped off my ID, driver's license, and birth certificate. I want to live a normal life with a name that I am not miserable with.

As a parent, if my child was that miserable with their name that they are willing to go through all this, they can do it. They're paying for it with their money, though, and they're going to be 18 before I let them. As a parent you really can't predict these things happening when you name your child. I don't blame my parents and if it happened to my child I won't blame myself. I will support them through it, call them by the name they want and help them fill out the paperwork when they are ready to make it legal.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff