Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS THREAD NEEDS MOAR RATINGS :3

No, ratings are stupid. 0.44444444444444 44.4% [ 4 ]
Yes, and I'll up-rate it, because I love Darrin. 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 2 ]
Yes, and I'll down-rate it, because I can't stand Darrin. 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 9 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Kino Mori

Not too much. I have done enough research to know that the state I live in is luckily one the few states that men can take the name of their wife without any trouble.

surprised There are states where it's hard to do? Where do you live in?

RockerKitty16
Actually yes I have been considering changing my last name, to Montague, not Montague like in Romeo and Juliet, but it sounds more like Mont vague, just without the V.

Pretty much because I've been on my own since six, so I don't really feel like I belong with the family I live with now. Me English teacher, (Mrs. Montague) pretty much adopted me as her daughter, so I want to have it legally changed to her last name just to make if final.

On a different note, you should look her up, she's a pretty good author to a book "Altered" by Kimberly Montague smile

What exactly do you mean when you say you were on your own?

Wesley Morningstar
I had to have my name changed many times, not because I wanted to but because I had to

Had to? But why?

Chan Kar

You know, I never though of it like that, but that's a good point. I've always felt obligated to keep my name because it's the the family name, but other than that, there's no good reason to keep it.

You're quite the innovator, you know. : P

Nah. Plenty of deranged kooks with too much time on their hands have come before me and done what I did. I guess I'm an innovator as far as my town is concerned, because, you know, there weren't even any official name change forms at the court house; they had to make do with marriage forms.

You said you have some dislike for your family. Do you think you would tell them before you changed yours, or save it as a surprise after it's done?

GS Sailor Midnight
Haven't changed it and never considered it. I was asked at one point in time though if I wanted to change my last name. My mother got remarried (even though she never really did marry MY father) and the stepdad asked if I wanted to change my last name to his. I'm glad I declined because they got divorced a year later Lol.

I would kind of be upset if my theoretical kid wanted to change their name. I would at least try to take care of giving them a name their peers couldn't make fun of, or give them a name that did not sound stupid, but if they didn't like the name anyway...then whatever.

I would feel awful if I took a stepfather's name and they divorced that soon. I would probably badger them to go to a marriage counselor at the first sign of trouble, too.

Kids are really creative at turning any name into an insult. whee

There is no telling whether they will like or dislike their name, but, they could come to associate it with displeasure if you use their name in anger a touch too often. I didn't think of it until now, but, that always bothered me as a child; my mother didn't use my name much unless she was screaming at me at the top of her lungs and getting red-faced. So, try to tell them something nice every time you use it, like how proud you are of them or how your life would be empty without them in it.

Emesque

my parents translated my chinese name to english when we moved to cali - it gets really confusing cus it's also a last name as well. ><

i tell people to call me by another name so yes, i would do anything to change it legally. once i find out how. D:

Go to your local court house and ask the clerks what you'll need to get started.

Tart Tarts

It's just my traditional Russian name. Anna and Anya are different.
Аня is my name, which means Anya.
Anna is Анна. Totally different, and I hate Anna. Shitty name.
So yeah. Gonna be Anya.

Your name would look so awesome with an inverted "R".

5,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
Stahlherz
Kino Mori

Not too much. I have done enough research to know that the state I live in is luckily one the few states that men can take the name of their wife without any trouble.

surprised There are states where it's hard to do? Where do you live in?

RockerKitty16
Actually yes I have been considering changing my last name, to Montague, not Montague like in Romeo and Juliet, but it sounds more like Mont vague, just without the V.

Pretty much because I've been on my own since six, so I don't really feel like I belong with the family I live with now. Me English teacher, (Mrs. Montague) pretty much adopted me as her daughter, so I want to have it legally changed to her last name just to make if final.

On a different note, you should look her up, she's a pretty good author to a book "Altered" by Kimberly Montague smile

What exactly do you mean when you say you were on your own?

Wesley Morningstar
I had to have my name changed many times, not because I wanted to but because I had to

Had to? But why?

Chan Kar

You know, I never though of it like that, but that's a good point. I've always felt obligated to keep my name because it's the the family name, but other than that, there's no good reason to keep it.

Nah. Plenty of deranged kooks with too much time on their hands have come before me and done what I did. I guess I'm an innovator as far as my town is concerned, because, you know, there weren't even any official name change forms at the court house; they had to make do with marriage forms.

You said you have some dislike for your family. Do you think you would tell them before you changed yours, or save it as a surprise after it's done?

GS Sailor Midnight
Haven't changed it and never considered it. I was asked at one point in time though if I wanted to change my last name. My mother got remarried (even though she never really did marry MY father) and the stepdad asked if I wanted to change my last name to his. I'm glad I declined because they got divorced a year later Lol.

I would kind of be upset if my theoretical kid wanted to change their name. I would at least try to take care of giving them a name their peers couldn't make fun of, or give them a name that did not sound stupid, but if they didn't like the name anyway...then whatever.

I would feel awful if I took a stepfather's name and they divorced that soon. I would probably badger them to go to a marriage counselor at the first sign of trouble, too.

Kids are really creative at turning any name into an insult. whee

There is no telling whether they will like or dislike their name, but, they could come to associate it with displeasure if you use their name in anger a touch too often. I didn't think of it until now, but, that always bothered me as a child; my mother didn't use my name much unless she was screaming at me at the top of her lungs and getting red-faced. So, try to tell them something nice every time you use it, like how proud you are of them or how your life would be empty without them in it.

Emesque

my parents translated my chinese name to english when we moved to cali - it gets really confusing cus it's also a last name as well. ><

i tell people to call me by another name so yes, i would do anything to change it legally. once i find out how. D:

Go to your local court house and ask the clerks what you'll need to get started.

Tart Tarts

It's just my traditional Russian name. Anna and Anya are different.
Аня is my name, which means Anya.
Anna is Анна. Totally different, and I hate Anna. Shitty name.
So yeah. Gonna be Anya.

Your name would look so awesome with an inverted "R".

My parents put me on my own, I've been taking care of myself since I was six. They don't take care of me.

Mega Explorer

I wouldn't, my name means alot more to me then just a name. It is a marker for my origins and reminds me of my ultimate goal in life. If anything I would add a name to my middle name or put my first as my new middle (so I would have two middle names) and my new first nae as the first. Never change the last.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
RockerKitty16
My parents put me on my own, I've been taking care of myself since I was six. They don't take care of me.

Well, I'll bet you'l feel like you're on top of the world if you get your new name.

The Pagan Winter
Satanic Warmaster.

emotion_jawdrop Seriously?

Nocturnal Coffee Maker
Nope I'm happy with my name. Wouldn't change it for a thing. My name translates to "grace".

Bwa haw haw haw haw I never knew that. xp

Even your last name? Come on!

chocolate flavored ape
I wouldn't, my name means alot more to me then just a name. It is a marker for my origins and reminds me of my ultimate goal in life. If anything I would add a name to my middle name or put my first as my new middle (so I would have two middle names) and my new first name as the first. Never change the last.

Your goal in life? How so?
Stahlherz
Chan Kar

Well there you go, you've started a hip new trend in your town. Pretty soon all of the cool kids will be doing it.

It's not so much that I dislike my family...I'm just not exactly proud to be a part of it because of what they do. I don't know how to explain it. But anyway, I think I'd let it be a surprise. Everyone loves a good surprise!

Dangerous Lunatic

14,925 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Yes...

I want to change my name to:

Miss Consuela Banana hammock.

emotion_c8
Have any of you ever had to change your legal name?
I changed my name when I got married. Dropped my maiden name completely and kept my middle name. It seriously pisses me off when I get mail with my maiden name as my middle name. THAT'S NOT MY NAME, ********. I DROPPED IT FOR A REASON.

If so, was it as tedious and inconvenient for you as it was for me?
It wasn't the end of the world since I didn't have to go to court or anything, but it was a pain in the a** and took forever to get everything done. I'm probably not going to bother changing it back when my divorce is finished.

Are you a parent or are considering becoming one? If so, how badly would it piss you off if your child decided that the name you picked for them clearly wasn't to their liking, and decided to change it?
I am not a parent at this time, but I would be slightly upset. A lot of time, thought, and love would be put into finding the perfect name for my child and it would kinda be like a slap in the face if he/she hated it enough to change it. As for last names.. the only person I can see myself having children with is my s/o. His last name is Crowe. It's not the prettiest name in the world but certainly not the worst. It wouldn't bother me if my hypothetical daughter dropped it when she got married.

5,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
Stahlherz
RockerKitty16

Well, I'll bet you'l feel like you're on top of the world if you get your new name.

The Pagan Winter
Satanic Warmaster.

emotion_jawdrop Seriously?

Nocturnal Coffee Maker
Nope I'm happy with my name. Wouldn't change it for a thing. My name translates to "grace".

Bwa haw haw haw haw I never knew that. xp

Even your last name? Come on!

chocolate flavored ape
I wouldn't, my name means alot more to me then just a name. It is a marker for my origins and reminds me of my ultimate goal in life. If anything I would add a name to my middle name or put my first as my new middle (so I would have two middle names) and my new first name as the first. Never change the last.

Your goal in life? How so?

Yes, I can hardly consider myself part of the family as it is, so really there's no use in me continuing on with the same last name as them
Yes and will do so very soon. I hate my first and last name but hopefully some day I'll get married so mostly I want to change my first name
Stahlherz

Wesley Morningstar

Had to? But why?

There are various reasons why I changed my names, I can not say exactly why...

4,800 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
I've considered it, but I don't think I will go through with it, and there are various reasons for both, though the cost in both time & money is certainly one of the big reasons why I won't.

4,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
The only thing I'd change is my last name because it's a bit masculine sounding...but if I get married it'll change anyways.

Angelic Friend

Stahlherz

What it be if you could choose?

I'd change it to what my username currently is - Romeigh. blaugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items