Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Noob

Soon they will be using the boobs to grapple, or in the middle of an attack combo.

Greedy Consumer

The-Real-Youth
No, we don't need more video games with the "overly-sexualized-female-character" stereotype. It's ostracizing the female gaming community and reinforcing sexist potrays of women.

C'mon guys, did Harley Quinn really need to wear that revealing nurses' outfit in Arkham Asylum?
ok then they should make it so the men have huge crotches that bounce around when they fight int heir shorts? lollllllll

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
We Are Organisms
The-Real-Youth
No, we don't need more video games with the "overly-sexualized-female-character" stereotype. It's ostracizing the female gaming community and reinforcing sexist potrays of women.

C'mon guys, did Harley Quinn really need to wear that revealing nurses' outfit in Arkham Asylum?
ok then they should make it so the men have huge crotches that bounce around when they fight int heir shorts? lollllllll

Why do we have to sexualize any characters to sell video games?

Aged Phantom

7,375 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm so confused. So the logic is that games that have always sexualized female characters (especially fighting games like Tekken, KOF, Street Fighter, and MK) are ostracizing the female gaming population, a demographic that is growing?

Greedy Consumer

Goldgato
We Are Organisms
The-Real-Youth

u tell me. I know you know.
but of ocurse not all games have oversexualized characters.

Greedy Consumer

Heimdalr
Soon they will be using the boobs to grapple, or in the middle of an attack combo.
they will be used to smother the opponent so they cant breath lollll emotion_awesome

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Goldgato
We Are Organisms
The-Real-Youth

Sex sells.
Consider Bayonetta. Bayonetta on her own is a powerful and badass character. Her sexiness and fun personality only makes her more lovable. Plus, it's just fun to watch her move ... heart

It also depends on the genre. Amnesia the Dark Descent is a horror game that is meant to scare the s**t out of you. They don't have sexy big boobed ladies, because they are not trying to lure you in with sexiness. They don't need it. They have Gatherers instead.

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
Blood Valkyrie
Goldgato
We Are Organisms
The-Real-Youth

Sex sells.
Consider Bayonetta. Bayonetta on her own is a powerful and badass character. Her sexiness and fun personality only makes her more lovable. Plus, it's just fun to watch her move ... heart

It also depends on the genre. Amnesia the Dark Descent is a horror game that is meant to scare the s**t out of you. They don't have sexy big boobed ladies, because they are not trying to lure you in with sexiness. They don't need it. They have Gatherers instead.

Except Bayonetta would still be a solid game with a great female main character even if she wasn't sexualized. It's not really necessary.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Goldgato
Blood Valkyrie
Goldgato
We Are Organisms
The-Real-Youth

Sex sells.

Except Bayonetta would still be a solid game with a great female main character even if she wasn't sexualized. It's not really necessary.

Perhaps not, but it helps to sell. I'm not offended by it.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
MaeFire
The-Real-Youth

It's harley quinn... I am sure she might have done it for the laughs. emotion_awesome

Agreed. It suits her flamboyant character.

Shirtless Shapeshifter

5,650 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
Massive facepalm.

Feral Nymph

Blood Valkyrie
Goldgato
We Are Organisms
The-Real-Youth

Sex sells.

I didn't buy Bayonetta specifically because of how hypersexualized she was. I personally found it offensive that a woman could only be badass if she had freakishly long legs and was sucking down on a lollipop.

Unspoken Word
I'm so confused. So the logic is that games that have always sexualized female characters (especially fighting games like Tekken, KOF, Street Fighter, and MK) are ostracizing the female gaming population, a demographic that is growing?

Being disgusted by the characters in DoA hasn't stopped me from playing Borderlands, Fallout and so on and so on.

Omnipresent Cultist

As a gamer who just so happens to be female (not a fan of term female gamer. We're all gamers), I get the whole "hey can't we have strong, female characters without them being sex dolls" bit. I agree. However, looking for those characters in the DOA series is not getting you anywhere.

While I'll play DOA for lulz or if I'm desperate for a fighting game and don't happen to have Street Fighter on hand, I don't expect anything profound from it. I think that would be a little like expecting a proper gentleman from Duke Nukem. >.>

So fans wanted their ridiculous fighters to have large boobs. *shrugs* Let the preteen and teens (and possible creepy guys who forget that real women exists while they wank to their pillow girls) have their pixel boobs.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie
Goldgato
We Are Organisms
The-Real-Youth

Sex sells.

I didn't buy Bayonetta specifically because of how hypersexualized she was. I personally found it offensive that a woman could only be badass if she had freakishly long legs and was sucking down on a lollipop.

Unspoken Word

Being disgusted by the characters in DoA hasn't stopped me from playing Borderlands, Fallout and so on and so on.

The game never implied that the reason why Bayonetta was badass because she was sexy. She was badass because she was a centuries old witch who hunts down angels. The sexiness was just a bonus and added to her funny personality.

Shy Bachelorette

34,075 Points
  • Hand in the Cookie Jar 100
  • Snack Artist 250
  • Cookie Collector 400
The-Real-Youth

Ma'am if you hated that you'd vomit at her outfit in her new comic book uuh suicide squad I think it's called and in the next batman game... I miss her original outfit, it at least went with her name. and honestly if they want boobs then I guess thats their opinion but don't do it just cuz fans demanded it... good lord for those people thats what the internet is for *facepalms* or hacking games in the most extreme cases I've heard of... ugh...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff